Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shutter speed priority over ISO

I have a quick question that I feel does not have a solution on my Pentax K1 but wanted to check in case there is something I am missing.

Settings: I am shooting in Aperture Priority (AV) mode with Auto ISO turned on. I have my ISO range set from 100 to 4000 with Auto ISO parameters set to SLOW.

I will be shooting day to night timelapses and previously I had to use bulb ramping which worked well but I am trying an easier method by simply letting the camera meter the exposure and then deflickering it in post, should flickering be present. I had my doubts but have seen some great results with this. To get a larger dynamic range in camera and I want the camera to be able to adjust both ISO and shutter speed with its metering. My question is this: Pentax seems to take priority with the ISO value over the shutter speed. I would prefer it maxed out shutter speed (30 seconds) before even beginning to increase the ISO, or at least doing so in a more even fashion. The camera seems to not prefer to increase shutter speed and will bump the ISO up to the 4000 maximum before bringing shutter longer than 1/2 of a second. Is there is a way to "tell" the camera I don't mind longer shutter speeds and would prefer it take more priority to increase the shutter speed over ISO so I can have the cleanest images possible until the ISO bump is absolutely necessary? I believe that setting the Auto ISO to slow is kind of what I needed to do, I just need an even slower option. I want to keep the aperture at a set value hence why shutter speed and ISO are my main parameters for adjustment.

After reviewing the manual and playing with the settings I don't think there is much I can do but thought I would check here just in case.

11-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I have a quick question that I feel does not have a solution on my Pentax K1 but wanted to check in case there is something I am missing.

Settings: I am shooting in Aperture Priority (AV) mode with Auto ISO turned on. I have my ISO range set from 100 to 4000 with Auto ISO parameters set to SLOW.

I will be shooting day to night timelapses and previously I had to use bulb ramping which worked well but I am trying an easier method by simply letting the camera meter the exposure and then deflickering it in post, should flickering be present. I had my doubts but have seen some great results with this. To get a larger dynamic range in camera and I want the camera to be able to adjust both ISO and shutter speed with its metering. My question is this: Pentax seems to take priority with the ISO value over the shutter speed. I would prefer it maxed out shutter speed (30 seconds) before even beginning to increase the ISO, or at least doing so in a more even fashion. The camera seems to not prefer to increase shutter speed and will bump the ISO up to the 4000 maximum before bringing shutter longer than 1/2 of a second. Is there is a way to "tell" the camera I don't mind longer shutter speeds and would prefer it take more priority to increase the shutter speed over ISO so I can have the cleanest images possible until the ISO bump is absolutely necessary? I believe that setting the Auto ISO to slow is kind of what I needed to do, I just need an even slower option. I want to keep the aperture at a set value hence why shutter speed and ISO are my main parameters for adjustment.

After reviewing the manual and playing with the settings I don't think there is much I can do but thought I would check here just in case.
your camera should have a TAV mode and that will let you shoot with fixing both your aperture and shutter . the iso will vary based on your set parameters.
11-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HudsonShooter Quote
your camera should have a TAV mode and that will let you shoot with fixing both your aperture and shutter . the iso will vary based on your set parameters.
The problem is that I do not want a fixed aperture. By fixing aperture and shutter speed I have 6 stops between ISO 100 and the 6400 which is already higher than the 4000 I would like to go to. However for a day to night transition I need more than 6 stops which is why I want shutter speed to also change which thus gives me additional stops of light compensation.
11-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Edit: Whoops you already set SLOW ramp. In this case I'd probably shoot with ISO forced to 100 and just push in post as needed.

11-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What about Sv mode? You set the ISO and it stays that way. Within the sensitivity limits of the metering system, the shutter speed will be automatically set between 30 sec to 1/8000 (18 stops).
11-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What about Sv mode? You set the ISO and it stays that way. Within the sensitivity limits of the metering system, the shutter speed will be automatically set between 30 sec to 1/8000 (18 stops).
It would definitely work but my issue is that for the night sky, even with shutter speed at 30 seconds, I would need a minimum ISO of 1600, but 3200 would be preferable. My problem is that I don't want to use that high of an ISO for the daytime shots. I could in theory just set it at ISO 100 or maybe slightly higher and push the exposure in Lightroom because for the most part the sensor on the K1 is ISO invariant (meaning ISO 100 pushed by 5 stops will theoretically look the same as ISO 1600 assuming aperture and shutter speed are the same, although I have found some inconsistencies using this method).

Another alternative, which is what Canon and Nikon have available, is to use an external device to do this but are there any apps or something similar to do this with Pentax, either with wifi or connected? I am speaking of something automated so you do not need to sit there for the entire time lapse and manually change ISO and shutter speed slightly between every few shots.
11-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that I do not want a fixed aperture. By fixing aperture and shutter speed I have 6 stops between ISO 100 and the 6400 which is already higher than the 4000 I would like to go to. However for a day to night transition I need more than 6 stops which is why I want shutter speed to also change which thus gives me additional stops of light compensation.
you can easily set the iso limit even in 3rds if needed. in tav. so you can get 200-350 or 400-800

11-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Would this type of photography not be far more suited to full manual mode working?
11-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Would this type of photography not be far more suited to full manual mode working?
Absolutely, but taking a time lapse over 6 hours and needing to manually monitor the exposure and change it every so often would be a bear whereas automating it would make the process so much easier. There are solutions for canon and nikon for automating the process so I am trying to find a working solution for Pentax. I have yet to find something.
11-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Absolutely, but taking a time lapse over 6 hours and needing to manually monitor the exposure and change it every so often would be a bear whereas automating it would make the process so much easier. There are solutions for canon and nikon for automating the process so I am trying to find a working solution for Pentax. I have yet to find something.
But is it really as a bad as that? There's only one point in time when you need to change camera settings and that's some time after sunset when the automatically set shutter speed using ISO 100 has lengthened to 30 seconds. That's when you would switch from Sv mode (ISO 100) to TAv mode (T=30 seconds, A = whatever aperture) and let ISO adjust automatically as needed.
11-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But is it really as a bad as that? There's only one point in time when you need to change camera settings and that's some time after sunset when the automatically set shutter speed using ISO 100 has lengthened to 30 seconds. That's when you would switch from Sv mode (ISO 100) to TAv mode (T=30 seconds, A = whatever aperture) and let ISO adjust automatically as needed.
That is definitely the best solution I have come up with so far, I will have to give it a few tests to see if it works as well in practice as it does in theory. Thanks!