Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Focal length's for shake reduction.

A question; for a while I don't get by start up the usual focal lenght's adjustment question for shake reduction with my K-1 anymore with my manual focus lenses. Also no focus confirmaton and beep.
I do get it with my A lenses. Is there a way to get it back. Could it have anything to do with the latest firmware update?
Any suggestions?

11-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you press Menu, can you go and set the focal length manually?
When you turn on the camera with a manual lens mounted, but have SR disabled, the camera might not ask you for the focal length.

The focus confirm sound is another option in the Menu. This option might be separate from the volume of other sounds. Please check the manual for your camera. You can probably download a PDF version. Very hand, as you can search it quickly (ctrl+f) and have it with you on smartphones, tablets. There might be confusion between Mute camera, Sounds volume, and Beep On/off. I am not sure which of these options the K-1 has in Menu and which ones have to be disabled. I usually turn off all sounds on my cameras.

The focus point overlay is yet another option. The overlay is the little red square in the viewfinder that lights up. With some manual lenses, the contrast and light is so low that it does not trigger most of the AF points well enough (at least on my older camera, the K-1 might be different). These will only light up if you have the correct AF modes selected. For example, if you have Single point selected, then the other overlays will never light up. Secondly, if you have MF selected they might not light up. I think in order for them to show up, you need to have manual lens, AF enabled, and hold the AF button (this is shutter button half-press by default, but can be configured to AF-L/AE button or possibly others).
Btw, these overlays are a little smaller than the actual AF points.

Then there is the focus confirm icon, which is a little green hexagon in the viewfinder, just beneath the actual frame (near the other info). This is the only real focus confirm. The beep and overlays are not as accurate and are more informative in nature. This icon should show up every time the camera confirms focus. But again, the different focus points have different sensitivities. And it also depends on light scene and lens mounted. With the older cameras, manual lenses would only work with the centre point anyway. I am not sure if this was expanded by Pentax in the current generation.

This is all the help I can give, as a Pentaxian without a K-1.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-21-2016 at 09:04 AM.
11-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Na Hourik. Thank you for the response!
Before I asked this question I did all the things you mentioned.
Shake reduction is on but when I put on for example my Super Takumar 50/1.4 it is automaticly disabled and it is impossible to turn it on in the menu.
The same counts for focus confirm. It is on with only central point selected. I know all worked before including the hexagonal green focus conformation in the viewfinder.
Everything works with A lenses, so I must remember it wrong. On my Pentax 645Z focus conformation works even with a Pentacon Six lens on it.

Last edited by sculptormic; 11-21-2016 at 01:45 PM.
11-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess: The firmware update may have reset the 'using an aperture ring' to disabled in the custom settings menu?

11-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
My guess: The firmware update may have reset the 'using an aperture ring' to disabled in the custom settings menu?
Thanks a lot! That's it! You're my hero!
11-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Weird, it didn't happen to me..

Last edited by teiki arii; 11-29-2016 at 01:51 PM.