Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommended AutoFocus Settings for K-1

Hi all,

I did a search but couldnt find what Im looking for, some recommended settings to fine tune the AF.
I swear I saw some posts about it but couldnt find it now, especially I think I read that FPS Priority is the way to go here.

So my question is about the various AF settings we have at our disposal for both AF-S and AF-C (the mode I use 90% of the time).

Im shooting mainly Concerts and events in low lights environment (AF-C) and Studio portrait (AF-S).
I use either fixed central dot or selective dot, no multiple dots AF.
Im a brand new user of the K-1, I havent made my first proper photo shoot yet, I only did few pictures to test my lenses nothing more.

So far I've only tried the FPS priority settings with the Sigma 70-200 /2.8, it seems great and faster focusing that either my K5 or K3. But my tests have been done chasing Birds or dogs under mostly bright lights.
What would you recommended for concert photography ? is K-1 different than the settings for the K3 ?

I would be interrested in settings for BIF as well if you dont mind sharing your tips and tricks !

11-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Hi all,

I did a search but couldnt find what Im looking for, some recommended settings to fine tune the AF.
I swear I saw some posts about it but couldnt find it now, especially I think I read that FPS Priority is the way to go here.
Number 25 in the custom menu.
11-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Turn AF Hold off
In the first menu (Phase Detection AF) set to Focus Priority for all settings.

33 point seems to slow down or it did with previous firmware. Not sure about the new 1.4. The 9-point and Center point seem to be about the same speed.
11-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Number 25 in the custom menu.
Yes I did that already.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Turn AF Hold off
In the first menu (Phase Detection AF) set to Focus Priority for all settings.

33 point seems to slow down or it did with previous firmware. Not sure about the new 1.4. The 9-point and Center point seem to be about the same speed.

I've done some more testing, it seems that 1st Frame set to Focus priority then all subsequent set to FPS prioirty is quiet good.
Ill try AF hold to off, thanks.

11-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I've done some more testing, it seems that 1st Frame set to Focus priority then all subsequent set to FPS prioirty is quiet good.
Ill try AF hold to off, thanks.
Yes. The factory default "AUTO" needs to be removed. Its basically worthless. I'm sure most of the people doing on-line reviews are leaving the camera set to "AUTO" under the AF modes.

I use back button AF-C 99% of the the time and once I got the setting worked out the AF performed much better.

They need to improve the AF point illumination.
11-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

They need to improve the AF point illumination.
I agree with this, but I might only need some time to get used to.