Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 40mm has really poor corner performance wide-open, but no blackening. If you stop down to F8 - F11, the corners sharpen up beautifully.
On FF my standard set is ƒ8, though I will go ƒ11 or ƒ16 if conditions warrant. I only go wider if light conditions force me too. So that is something I will probably never experience.

12-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #32

Original Poster
Great to get so many responses. I have seen several references to 'limited' lenses. I am assuming that these do not use the whole sensor - perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong.
12-03-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

You're wrong.....

The following lenses were design for full frame film.

FA 31 ltd. FA 43 ltd. FA 77 ltd.

You can tell by the designation FA.

The DA 21 ltd. DA 20-40 ltd. and most other DA lenses are crop sensor only.

Some lenses like the DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 will cover the whole sensor but are not so hot towards the edges. You really have to go one lens at a time.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html
12-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mentium Quote
Great to get so many responses. I have seen several references to 'limited' lenses. I am assuming that these do not use the whole sensor - perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong.
'Limited' is sales speak for the quality of their construction - a lot of metal rather than plastic like many Canikonsony lenses.

12-03-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #35
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'Limited' is sales speak for the quality of their construction - a lot of metal rather than plastic
And DFA means that the lens was designed for full frame (originally film, now the K-1) and crop (APS-C) sensors.

The DFA 100 f2.8 Macro WR should be designated Limited but unaccountably isn't.

Until fairly recently all the Limited lenses were primes, but there is now one zoom as well: DA 20-40 Limited. It's still the only Limited lens which is weather-resistant.

The * (star) range of lenses are another premium line in the M, A, F, FA, DA and DFA lens series (M and A series lenses are manual focus; the others are autofocus). The star lenses are designed for optical quality rather than compactness. The range includes both zooms and primes. Each of the star lenses in the DA and DFA series is designated as weather-resistant or "all-weather".

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I was going to suggest the FA 50 2.8 macro too. The focus is surprisingly fast, and it's super sharp. I use that lens and the 31 limited the most, followed by the 43 limited. The 31 and 43 are very sharp in the middle, less so on the edges. The macro is sharp all the way across.
I saw an A-50 macro on a classifieds site recently, made the mistake of reading the glowing reviews, and it's been gnawing at me since. I gave away my DA 50 to a friend and my A-50 f1.7 is on semi-permanent loan - I loved both (on APS-C). The FA 43 was supposed to scratch that itch but it hasn't completely: when it's good it's very very good, but it's a bit precious about the right conditions - e.g. not great as a "vista" lens (flare, CA), or for small flowers (MFD is not short), IMO. And here's John saying he can find a place for 31, 43 and 50 Macro (albeit on the K-1 rather than crop).

50 is supposed to be for full-frame, right?? I hope someone with a K-1 will just buy it and put me out of my misery.

Last edited by Des; 12-03-2016 at 05:51 PM.
12-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I believe the distinction one Pentax official made was, all limiteds are still hand assembled, be that good or bad.

Last edited by normhead; 12-05-2016 at 02:13 PM.
12-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
all limited are still hand assembled
... by pixies (well the FA ones, anyway).

12-04-2016, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

... Funds will only allow one every two or three months, so I want to choose carefully. ...
That is a pretty fast rate of acquisition !

Spend a little time with the zoom lens to learn the focal length you like. Then, buy a prime lens that matches that focal length... The primary advantage to a prime over your zoom will be speed (wider aperture) and size (typically.. smaller lens).

If you are happy enough with the size and quality and speed of the zoom, I wouldn't rush buying a prime. Heck, if you wait six months to buy, you can buy two at once :^)

---------- Post added 12-04-16 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
... by pixies (well the FA ones, anyway).
...really, you need to know the quality of the hands involved. Both Olympic ballerinas and mouth-breathers got hands. :^|

Will the hands deftly craft a visually satiating ice cream dessert or will they just plop some frozen dairy substitute on a plate.

On one hand pixies like Tinkerbell
On the other, pixies like Grunhilda
12-05-2016, 05:24 AM   #39

Original Poster
Well after much consideration, reading this thread and delving into the at times mystifying world of Pentax lenses I seem to have settled on a Pentax DFA 100mm F2.8. It seems to be an excellent macro lens but doubles up well for ordinary street scenes. Here's a review or two: Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR Lens Review

Any thoughts before I commit to this one?

And thanks again for all the contributions.
12-05-2016, 05:40 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well after much consideration, reading this thread and delving into the at times mystifying world of Pentax lenses I seem to have settled on a Pentax DFA 100mm F2.8. It seems to be an excellent macro lens but doubles up well for ordinary street scenes. Here's a review or two: Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR Lens Review

It's a solid lens, doubly so on the K-1.
12-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

FA 43/1.9.... It's simply one of the best all-around pieces of glass ever made IMO.

---------- Post added 12-05-16 at 09:47 AM ----------

Ah - Missed this. Fantastic lens. Plus you can go and shoot in the rain. A bit long for a first-and-only prime in my opinion, but nonetheless lovely.
12-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't read through all the recommendations, but I would recommend a normal or near-normal FL prime as a first choice. Two excellent lenses that can be found second-hand at bargain prices: 40mm f2.8 (either version); FA 50mm f1.7. BTW: Although 50mm became the "normal" focal length for FF 35mm format back in the 1930's, according to the old criterion*, 40mm is closer to correct. Of the two, I might recommend the 40mm as slightly more versatile. I'd rather crop a bit than find I constantly needed to step back to include what I wanted. Both of these lenses have excellent IQ.

*original criterion for "normal" FL = it should be equal to the length of the diagonal of the format.
12-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #43
Pentaxian

That lens would be an awesome place to start, my guess is you'll love it. I bought a Tamron 90 and it's a great focal length. My wife declared it to be hers, I'm not allowed to touch it anymore. And, it's heavier, bigger, and not WR compared to the Pentax,
12-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #44
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well after much consideration, reading this thread and delving into the at times mystifying world of Pentax lenses I seem to have settled on a Pentax DFA 100mm F2.8. It seems to be an excellent macro lens but doubles up well for ordinary street scenes.
It's a magnificent lens. Very very sharp, great colours, pleasant bokeh, compact, beautifully built, weather resistant. It's sharp from wide open right through to f16 - you need the narrow aperture for macro because DOF is so short. You might find it even a little too sharp for flattering portraits - the FA 77 is better for that. With the 100, you'll probably spend some time softening portrait shots in PP! Being a macro lens it has a long focus throw, so AF can hunt at times (and there is no focus-limiter as there is on say the Tamron 90); but the flip side is that it is great for MF. It's a joy to use. Probably more versatile for non-macro use on the K-1 that on APS-C because of the wider field of view.
12-05-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
It's a magnificent lens. Very very sharp, great colours, pleasant bokeh, compact, beautifully built, weather resistant. It's sharp from wide open right through to f16 - you need the narrow aperture for macro because DOF is so short. You might find it even a little too sharp for flattering portraits - the FA 77 is better for that. With the 100, you'll probably spend some time softening portrait shots in PP! Being a macro lens it has a long focus throw, so AF can hunt at times (and there is no focus-limiter as there is on say the Tamron 90); but the flip side is that it is great for MF. It's a joy to use. Probably more versatile for non-macro use on the K-1 that on APS-C because of the wider field of view.
I really don't find it overly sharp for portraiture, but maybe you have some counterexamples?

If I did need to soften the result, I'd rather soften the light with modifiers than work with it in PP if I can help it, especially if we're talking portraiture.