Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA40XS was designed for the K-01. The DA40 also covers the full 35mm frame, and has a good IQ.

11-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is the size/weight advantage significant over the 43mm? Also, the sample photo search only has photo with that camera/lens combo, can you point me to a thread?
The 40 XS is the thinnest lens of its kind. It's a little more thick than a body cap. At 1.8oz it's extremely light. The 4 Ltd is 5.5oz, which is still light, but a lot more by the numbers. It's also about 3/4th of an inch thicker.

I can't find a real thread with a K1 / 40 XS combo. There is this which sold me; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/178336-da40...old-200-a.html

Honestly, if you find a good used copy of the XS, you really can't lose money on the thing if you decide to sell. There's used copies on evilbay for under $175. 43 Ltd's are about 2.5 to 3x as much.
11-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The 40 XS is the thinnest lens of its kind. It's a little more thick than a body cap. At 1.8oz it's extremely light. The 4 Ltd is 5.5oz, which is still light, but a lot more by the numbers. It's also about 3/4th of an inch thicker.

I can't find a real thread with a K1 / 40 XS combo. There is this which sold me; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/178336-da40...old-200-a.html

Honestly, if you find a good used copy of the XS, you really can't lose money on the thing if you decide to sell. There's used copies on evilbay for under $175. 43 Ltd's are about 2.5 to 3x as much.
I'm mostly curious because I already own a 43 Ltd, so it feels frivolous.
11-21-2016, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Some 40XS and K-1 images.....

11-21-2016, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'm mostly curious because I already own a 43 Ltd, so it feels frivolous.
Shoot, you're set then, unless you just want to trade around a bit.
11-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The 4 Ltd
That's WIDE!
11-21-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
...I regularly take only one lens out with me, whether it be a 21mm, a 35mm a 100mm or whatever. This means that when I'm out and looking for subjects my eye is looking for a scene to match that focal length. I think this approach helped me to learn to see scenes and identify compositions more effectively.
HI

You have a valid point and it needs to be said. I hear this argument a lot and I do AGREE - in principal. It depends on what you set out to photograph on the day and restrict yourself for this particular task.

I say in principal, because primes are good if you know you will only photograph objects or scenery which will suit a certain focal length. But even there different focal lengths primes are often required because conditions like build up areas or terrain not always provide you with the space to zoom with your feet. In this sense primes have a certain limitation.

In my experience if you leave home and you don't know what will turn up in front of your lens worthy of a picture, it will be good to also take along a good quality zoom. One will not replace the other in all situations. And I think that needs to be said as well.

So as usually there is no single right choice for everything, zooms and primes have their place in every camera bag, I feel, if you want to be flexible.

Cheers

11-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
In my experience if you leave home and you don't know what will turn up in front of your lens worthy of a picture, it will be good to also take along a good quality zoom.
I hear what you're saying, but then in essence you would always take a zoom.

I used to lament the scenes that required a certain lens because the one I had wasn't wide enough or long enough, now I don't as it's a part of the discipline that I needed to practice to get used to a focal length. I've not just resorted to having zooms along too, but I've walked around with a backpack full of primes, you know, just in case I needed a specific focal length.

The good thing as you point out, there was another way of looking at the use of primes and with your input the OP has got the benefit of that too.

Tas
11-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #24

Original Poster
Once again - many thanks. So many opinions to ponder, so I will re-read this thread a couple more times before I start looking for the best buy!
11-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I hear what you're saying, but then in essence you would always take a zoom.
I thought so too, but I looked through my old photos and my thought process often goes 'I'm shooting [portrait | wildlife | macro]', let me grab a wide-angle prime for the occasional landscape. Wide-angle zooms certainly still have a place when I plan to go shoot landscapes all-day.
11-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My favourite lens on my K-1 right now is the FA 50 macro 2.8. I also have an FA 50 1.7 for low light situations.

I'm guessing the DA 50 1.8 or DA 35 2.4 would work as well for starter lenses.

Unless you want to skip the lunacy and just go strait to the 31 and 43 and 77. Depends on how much you have to spend every 2 or 3 months.
I was going to suggest the FA 50 2.8 macro too. The focus is surprisingly fast, and it's super sharp. I use that lens and the 31 limited the most, followed by the 43 limited. The 31 and 43 are very sharp in the middle, less so on the edges. The macro is sharp all the way across.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The DA 35mm is mostly fine, but the DA 50mm really struggles with vignetting on FF. I'd avoid it.

In any case, a great camera body calls for a great lens. As far as value is concerned, Samyang's 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm offerings are quite good without breaking the bank. I'd look into those:
Samyang Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
I rented the 35 macro 2.4 to try with my K1 and found the vignetting a pain to deal with. I'd call it corner shading more than standard vignetting, a sharp drop-off. The FA35 f2 is good but far from perfect. For me it works best up close. I'd like to try the sigma 35 Art.
11-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There isn't a 35 Macro f2.4, it's either the DA 35 f2.4 "Plastic Fantastic" or the DA 35 Macro, which on crop has really really positive reviews. The Sigma 35 Art seems to be highly hit or miss on focus with the majority in the miss column. Same reason I wouldn't get a 30 Art; Sigma can't seem to figure out AF anymore. I've never used the FA35 f2 but it seems like a lot of folks on this board like the lens a lot.
11-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The HD DA 40 is an interesting choice. Normhead posted some dynamite shots with the DA 40 XS. THE HD DA 40 is the old SMC 40 f/2.8 - evolved and improved. It's a modestly priced, high quality prime with fast AF and outstanding build quality that is a joy to shoot with. Wish I had a K-1 to test mine on. Well...Christmas is fast approaching....now if I can only convince the Chief Household Officer...

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 11-22-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
11-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The HD DA 40 is an interesting choice. Normhead posted some dynamite shots with the DA 40 XS. THE HD DA 40 is the old SMC 40 f/2.8 - evolved and improved. It's a modestly priced, high quality prime with fast AF and outstanding build quality that is a joy to shoot with. Wish I had a K-1 to test mine on. Well...Christmas is fast approaching....now if I can only convince the Chief Household Officer...
The 40mm has really poor corner performance wide-open, but no blackening. If you stop down to F8 - F11, the corners sharpen up beautifully.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2016, 03:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam. It's unfortunate the 40mm doesn't perform well on the larger sensor. You may have made the Chief Household Officer happy - I'll probably just buy another DA Ltd on Black Friday...the 15 would be a nice addition to my 21/40/70 stack of pancakes! I'm mostly invested in APS-C glass, not much point in switching - the K-1 in crop mode only offers the resolution of the K-5II.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 11-23-2016 at 03:15 AM.