Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OOF images.. Scratching my head.

Hello,
I'm having an issue with finding that my photos are out of focus when using AF. Here are a few taken the other afternoon. IMGP9085 settings are ISO 800, f/7.1, 28mm 1/30sec. Image *9097 is the same but at f/5.6. Image stabilization was on and the camera was on a tripod. I've read several threads suggesting that I should have disabled IS. ARGH, But OK. Lesson learned, but seriously, should these images be this soft? Of course, I may have made them too small of jpgs to properly view here, but this is my first time uploading images so any help would be great. These probably will end up on some xmas card so I'm not too concerned, but if I had to blow these up, they really would be way too soft for me.

Any thoughts?
Rodney

Attached Images

11-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not possible to tell from these, unfortunately - they look fine at this size. Could you post some 100% crops of the areas you expect to be in focus? Also, which subject were you focusing on in each photo, and what was the distance between between you and the subjects?
11-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

None of the subjects are in focus, nor anything behind them, so could be front focussing. Try taking a test shot of the trees using LV.
11-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look sharp to me even with that small size image. Do you remember where is your focus point on those pictures? FYI, if you want everyone to be sharp, you have to focus on the person nearest to you. I also think that the photos are bit over-exposed. Yes, front focus (FF) problem can be problematic, meaning "nothing is in focus" if you focus on the nearest point to you. If so, try to correct with fine-adjustment feature on the camera.

11-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since 33 point AF was on I guess I'm at a loss.. I assumed with a f/5.6 and f/7.1 that I'd have enough DOF to keep them sharp. Lets say 6 feet is my distance, Yes, the photos are a bit overexposed working on that too! I can work on them in LR but I'd hoped to understand what I did wrong with regards to the images being unfocused. I mean, I can't find anything sharp in these High Res images. Argh....
11-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The images might just be suffering from having the shake reduction on whilst being mounted on a tripod but the images do not look too soft to me either.

I forget where but someone on the forum has shown how to make a test model for checking focus (front and back) problems which basically involves having something that covers the depth of field front and back with an obvious focal point to focus on. (Maybe a 10 foot measuring tape on the floor, leading away from the camera, with a coin on the 3 ft mark). If you select single (centre point) from the menu, centre focus on the coin with AF and shoot some images at various apertures you might discern a problem.
I am assuming you will have the camera tripod mounted, SR off and use the 2 second shutter delay to minimise any vibration.
11-22-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

OP. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I presume you are an experienced photographer?

I ask because responses to questions such as yours assume certain knowledge, etc. The more information you can supply up front the better, not just the issue that concerns you.

In this instance you say SR was on, and the camera was on a tripod, which is a well recognised 'no, no', and this implies, maybe incorrectly, that you are maybe not an experienced photographer?

You say this is image 9085, etc, so how where the previous 9084? All perfect and this is the first sign of an issue, or...?

This is a very friendly forum and you'll get great advice, but as a general rule the more information you can give the more likely you are to get the answer you want.

11-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few things:

-1/30s is a little slow if you print a shot big or pixel peep, you're going to see some blur.
-AF might need fine tuning
-More contrast, setting black and white points and sharpening in post would improve these images

But this looks like image stabilisation was on while the camera was tripod mounted.
11-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Pentax lens or third party?
- PDAF or CDAF in live view?
- focus point? face detect?
- 12s self timer, and if so, how did you focus?
11-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Unregistered User

I had a weird problem during my summer hike in the mountains. Camera on tripod on the top of a mountain taking a selfie with me at the very top. All images came out blurry. 12s self timer so no SR but I still had the horizon correction on and combining that with 12s selftimer made the images blurry.

EDIT:

In FW1.00 to 1.20 this happened. FW1.30 I did not test and now with 1.40 I can't seem to reproduce the problem. It may have been fixed.

When in Live view there was no problem, only when using OVF

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-22-2016 at 01:04 PM.
11-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
The images might just be suffering from having the shake reduction on whilst being mounted on a tripod but the images do not look too soft to me either.

I forget where but someone on the forum has shown how to make a test model for checking focus (front and back) problems which basically involves having something that covers the depth of field front and back with an obvious focal point to focus on. (Maybe a 10 foot measuring tape on the floor, leading away from the camera, with a coin on the 3 ft mark). If you select single (centre point) from the menu, centre focus on the coin with AF and shoot some images at various apertures you might discern a problem.
I am assuming you will have the camera tripod mounted, SR off and use the 2 second shutter delay to minimise any vibration.

Lesson learned! Yea, I had SR on and did use a remote, so I guess I'll attribute the issue to the SR being on while on a Tripod...

BTW, I did borrow a Lens Alignment kit and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary so no focusing adjustments should be required.
Regards

---------- Post added 11-22-2016 at 02:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
OP. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I presume you are an experienced photographer?

I ask because responses to questions such as yours assume certain knowledge, etc. The more information you can supply up front the better, not just the issue that concerns you.

In this instance you say SR was on, and the camera was on a tripod, which is a well recognised 'no, no', and this implies, maybe incorrectly, that you are maybe not an experienced photographer?

You say this is image 9085, etc, so how where the previous 9084? All perfect and this is the first sign of an issue, or...?

This is a very friendly forum and you'll get great advice, but as a general rule the more information you can give the more likely you are to get the answer you want.
@JohnX, no offense taken, and I'd consider myself a newbie since I don't do this professionally. So I've leaned my lesson and the previous images have been sharp as tack. So, no, I'm not an experienced photography and the images were taken to give me some practice on taking group shots. So it isn't like I took this as a paying job.
Regards,
Rodney

Last edited by lazarustx; 11-22-2016 at 01:23 PM.
11-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
amp

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Lesson learned! Yea, I had SR on and did use a remote, so I guess I'll attribute the issue to the SR being on while on a Tripod...

BTW, I did borrow a Lens Alignment kit and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary so no focusing adjustments should be required.
Regards

---------- Post added 11-22-2016 at 02:09 PM ----------

@JohnX, no offense taken, and I'd consider myself a newbie since I don't do this professionally. So I've leaned my lesson and the previous images have been sharp as tack. So, no, I'm not an experienced photography and the images were taken to give me some practice on taking group shots. So it isn't like I took this as a paying job.
Regards,
Rodney
I could be wrong but isn't sr automatically turned off in remote mode?
11-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
I could be wrong but isn't sr automatically turned off in remote mode?
I believe SR is turned off automatically when you use a remote.
11-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

A couple of points.

Using a wireless remote or self timer automatically disables the SR so that should not be an issue.
People unfortunately move around so 1/30th of a second may be a bit slow in my opinion.
Depth of field. Check your Dof with this handy calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html .
My estimation of DoF using figures you supply are 3.34 feet at f5.6 and 4.4 feet at f7.1. This assumes you were focusing on the correct point at 6 feet. Using multipoint Autofocus, it is a bit hard to be sure where the camera decided to focus. If the camera focused on the lady in front in both cases you acceptable DoF behind her is only 2.1 feet an 2.9 feet respectively. This may not be enough in a group shot where people are behind one another.
Did you focus before activating the remote? 1/2 press shutter button or Rear AF button. Using the remote does NOT activate the autofocus mechanism (K-7 and K-5-IIs) unless using Remote Control 0-RC1 and pressing the correct button.
Cover the optical view finder as light entering the camera here can affect exposure.
11-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
Unregistered User

If C-menu item 21 is set to 1 the SR turns off when in IR remote or Timer mode. Also if you have C-menu item 10 set to 2 you will have AF when using IR remote.