Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wide astro FF zooms and primes - got your eye on anything?

I'm interested in going to the K-1 at some point primarily for night and astro and also a general landscape.

There's some lenses already out and due to be released that are FF.

Pentax 15-30 f2.8
Samyang 14 f2.8
Samyang 20 f1.8 << due to be released, sounds interesting
Samyang 24 f1.4
Irix 15 f2.4
Pentax 2017 prime(s)

What are your thoughts/experiences on these?

11-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want something weathersealed, so I've looked at the 15-30 and the Irix. The latter takes screw-in filters, which would be nice for regular landscapes, but I don't know if it's worth giving up the zoom range.
11-25-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I want something weathersealed, so I've looked at the 15-30 and the Irix. The latter takes screw-in filters, which would be nice for regular landscapes, but I don't know if it's worth giving up the zoom range.
For what it's worth, I have an older Konica Minolta 17-35 f/2.8-4 on my A-mount equipment. I tend to find I use that far more regularly than I use my DA15 on the K-3. It has made me think about getting a wide or ultra-wide zoom for my Pentax cameras. Having the zoom range really is so much more versatile (for me, at least).
11-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Pentax 2017 prime(s)
Many are waiting for these and it'll be interesting what they are?

11-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm interested in going to the K-1 at some point primarily for night and astro and also a general landscape.

Pentax 15-30 f2.8
Samyang 14 f2.8
Samyang 24 f1.4
Irix 15 f2.4
Pentax 2017 prime(s)

My thought is that I wouldn't get those over any of my Pentax 67 or Mamiya 645 lenses I bought for astro work. Astrophotography puts lenses through paces that landscape photography does not. Medium format glass works well. It's good enough to do serious research with.

obin
11-25-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
My thought is that I wouldn't get those over any of my Pentax 67 or Mamiya 645 lenses I bought for astro work. Astrophotography puts lenses through paces that landscape photography does not. Medium format glass works well. It's good enough to do serious research with.

obin
How about some explanation on your statement? Why etc... What do you know that the rest of us do not?
11-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
How about some explanation on your statement? Why etc... What do you know that the rest of us do not?
The K-1 is only going to use the central part of the medium format glass. There is a lot less curvature there and the stars, even at the edges, remain quite sharp. There is also no vignetting of the image and often no chromatic aberration either. Stars remain as pinpoints. For example take a look at what Richard Crisp has done with medium format 6x7 lenses.
A Gallery of Widefield Images From Pentax 6x7 Camera Lens Adaptor System

Just for example look at the full resolution images done with a Pentax 67 300 f/4 ED.

Here's an image taken with a Pentax 6x7 75mm f/4.5.

Medium format glass works good for astrophotography. It's inexpensive compared to getting a full blown astrograph like a Pentax 75 SDHF or a Borg 77 EDII.

obin
11-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The Samyang 14/2.8 is a good bargain. Sharp even wide open. Doesn't have objectionable coma distortion. Those 2 factors make it good for astro use. The protruding front element requirew a special adapter if you want to use filters for general landscape use.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 11-25-2016 at 07:48 PM.
11-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great result, for sure. But for those who don't know, astro is one field where you spend as much if not more time in post- processing than you do in acquiring the original frames. I can guarantee that those frames straight out of the camera were nowhere near as glorious as the final result.
11-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
A great result, for sure. But for those who don't know, astro is one field where you spend as much if not more time in post- processing than you do in acquiring the original frames. I can guarantee that those frames straight out of the camera were nowhere near as glorious as the final result.
Correct. Astrophotography requires post processing because the image you are trying to extract is often invisible to the human eye. You could peer through the largest telescope in the world and your eye won't see as much detail as a digital SLR with an inexpensive telescope. Even when peering at a bright planet you'll see more detail with a digital camera. The images from space telescopes such as Hubble, Kepler, and MOST are digitally manipulated as well.

With that being said astrophotography requires good optics in order to get a good result. That's why astrographs like the Vixen VSD exist.

obin
11-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
That's why astrographs like the Vixen VSD exist.
Good thing that my seeing conditions do not justify something like that, or I be in trouble!
11-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Good thing that my seeing conditions do not justify something like that, or I be in trouble!
Ditto. I've been eyeballing one for a while but I can't justify it living in light polluted areas. On the other hand anyone looking for an amazing astrograph should look at the Astro Tech AT65EDQ. It is an amazing piece of optics for the money.

obin
11-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An interesting review of the Samyang 24mm

Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Review – Lonely Speck
11-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Pentax 15-30 f2.8
Samyang 14 f2.8
Samyang 24 f1.4
Irix 15 f2.4
Pentax 2017 prime(s)

You forgot:
  • the already available Laowa 15mm F4 Macro
  • the currently being dispatched Laowa 12mm F2.8
  • the announced without date Irix 11mm F4
  • the old Sigma 20mm F1.8
  • the old Sigma 24mm F1.8
If you are whiny about coma you probably should should use a narrower FoV, as none of these lenses will be without some compromises.
11-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I tried out Pentax 67 75mm shift lens on my K-1 about a month ago and that was funny experience - I have not seen such bad IQ for years. f/16 was okayish with no shift and that was about it. No more medium fail lenses for me. Maybe modern 645 lenses are okay but these ancient ones are not.