Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Any advice for new K1 owner concerning accessories?

For an upcoming K-1 owner with 28-105mm, what would you wish you had bought early? Or what would you have held off until later?
1. additional battery
2. circular polarizer and variable ND filters
3. anything else?
(I already have manual and remote flashes.)

Thanks for your advice,
Gilbert

11-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless you have small hands or worry about the minor weight difference, get the grip and an extra battery.
It not only holds the extra battery but an extra card as well. (wish it held two)
11-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am not personally a fan of variable ND filters. I would rather get a real good 2 stop, 3 stop and 10 stop and stack as required.
As for me an additional battery is very important because i use live view a lot.
11-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went with the battery grip, it's the only K-1 specific accessory I've bought. I already had spare batteries and spare battery chargers. If you're looking at additional batteries having more than one charger will come in handy. I have four batteries in my bag, two are in the camera and two spare. Having two chargers literally halves the charging time.

If you're thinking camera specific accessories consider those that will work for your style of shooting. Tripod mounted landscapes? Maybe you would like an L bracket to make it easy to change from lanscape to portrait orientation. Events or street shooting? Maybe a hand strap/wrist strap/sling will improve working with the camera as it can get heavy after a while and the neck strap isn't always the most practical form of support.

Welcome to the forums Gilbert and don't forget to post some images you capture when you're up and running.

Tas

11-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 does not have a built in flash. You may want to get something like the Pentax AF200FG show mount flash, or something similar, to keep in your camera bag. You can pick these up on eBay for less than $75 usually.

11-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would hold off on a flash. Cactus is refreshing their flash with the rf60x within three weeks, which -at $150 for a flash with a built-in wireless trigger- seems like a great value unless you need a weather sealed flash. If you do need the weathersealing, it's not a gimmick, totally works. Go for the 360FGZII or 540FGZII.

The battery grip is nice-to-have if you shoot with primes or the smaller zooms, but I have to insist if you have your eye set on either the excellent D-FA 70-200 f2.8 or the 150-450. Given the huge discounts Adorama and B&H give you on bundling the grip, it doesn't make sense to get it later. Seriously consider whether you want any of the other D-FA zooms, too. I'm kicking myself for not picking them up with my K-1, with Ricoh's lack of holiday spirit.

For filters, the best strategy I've found is to get 77mm filter threads. They'll fit on the 70-200 natively, and I've read reviews of 82-77mm step-down rings that seem to indicate no vignetting when I get the D-FA 24-70. Alternate strategies could include getting a square filter set ($$$), which is the only way to mount filters on the lenses like the D-FA 15-30, or stocking up on 49mm filters, which seems to be Pentax's prime filter thread of choice. You could technically get the 62mm thread that would match up with your 28-105, but I think it's a poor choice to build your filter system around a kit lens, no matter how good (and the lens seems to be critically aclaimed, though I have other lenses stuck on my K-1 most of the time, it ends up on my PZ-1P often as a nice light solution).

You might consider an Infrared remote from a third-party with Pentax compatibility. I've had good luck with a few different brands. There's a Lenspen 'kit' I picked up awhile ago which has been handy endless times (Lenspen, Filterklean, Micropen, holder doubles as a microfiber cloth). Eneloops for the battery grip are really convenient. A comfortable strap? I like the Peak Design Slide, but lots of people seem to like Black Rapid or Op-Tech's offerings. I bought a new tripod head because the old one wouldn't support the weight, but the 28-105 is a super lightweight lens, so you should be fine there.

Oh yeah! I ordered custom screen protectors from the guys at protectionfilms24.com after finding a thread about it on the forum somewhere. It took forever to get to the States from Germany, but it was very cheap, fit perfectly, and great quality.

Lastly, I quickly found that my old 32GB SD cards wouldn't last me through a day shoot. I upgraded to the Sandisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s) 256GB SD cards.
11-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A spare battery (not a 5 fake Ebay one) is necessary for most people.

I bought a USB charger - a USB-powered version of the one which comes with the camera. More useful when travelling because one likely carries a multi-output USB charger.

A polarising filter is nice for a lot of shots in bright conditions.

Regards flashes, it depends on where you want to use it and what for. For indoor use I find a cheap manual flash is great. I bought the Yongnuo YN560 flash and hotshoe transmitter. I think it was about 100 quid for the lot. It is purely manual AFAIK (no TTL). And a 10 umbrella and a 10 tripod from Amazon. I waste a few shots getting the exposure right (F number and the flash power) because especially with an umbrella it is pretty variable, and then it just works. The results are very very good e.g. http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-11-29_184039.jpg
But if I was using a flash outside and wanted it to just work then a TTL flash which works fully with the camera (I don't understand the various options, and the internet is full of compatibility issues with 3rd party flashes) will be needed and then you have to spend some money... however any single flash on or near the camera is likely to deliver poor results unless you have a diffuser of some sort, which is more stuff.

I also bought this strap Peak Design Cuff - straps: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo and this shoulder strap Peak Design Slide SL-2. Sling Strap for Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - it's all the same system and it works great.

In many situations carrying a K1 you are going to attract too much attention, and I bought a waist bag GWELL Nylon Oxford Waterproof Multifunction Waist Bum Belt Bag for Outdoor Sports Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors which has a shoulder strap also. That one isn't actually the best I have (the best one was a one-off used bag off Ebay http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-11-29_184710.jpg).

Plus a tripod... The above shoulder strap kit comes with a tripod mount thingy and you want to get a tripod which accepts that size; there are 3 sizes I believe and my pricey carbon fibre one takes only the biggest size...

I have had a remote trigger (Yongnuo RF-602) and it works perfectly (K3, K1) but I almost never used it.
11-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
A spare battery (not a 5 fake Ebay one) is necessary for most people.

I bought a USB charger - a USB-powered version of the one which comes with the camera. More useful when travelling because one likely carries a multi-output USB charger.

A polarising filter is nice for a lot of shots in bright conditions.

Regards flashes, it depends on where you want to use it and what for. For indoor use I find a cheap manual flash is great. I bought the Yongnuo YN560 flash and hotshoe transmitter. I think it was about 100 quid for the lot. It is purely manual AFAIK (no TTL). And a 10 umbrella and a 10 tripod from Amazon. I waste a few shots getting the exposure right (F number and the flash power) because especially with an umbrella it is pretty variable, and then it just works. The results are very very good e.g. http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-11-29_184039.jpg
But if I was using a flash outside and wanted it to just work then a TTL flash which works fully with the camera (I don't understand the various options, and the internet is full of compatibility issues with 3rd party flashes) will be needed and then you have to spend some money... however any single flash on or near the camera is likely to deliver poor results unless you have a diffuser of some sort, which is more stuff.

I also bought this strap Peak Design Cuff - straps: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo and this shoulder strap Peak Design Slide SL-2. Sling Strap for Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - it's all the same system and it works great.

In many situations carrying a K1 you are going to attract too much attention, and I bought a waist bag GWELL Nylon Oxford Waterproof Multifunction Waist Bum Belt Bag for Outdoor Sports Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors which has a shoulder strap also. That one isn't actually the best I have (the best one was a one-off used bag off Ebay http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-11-29_184710.jpg).

Plus a tripod... The above shoulder strap kit comes with a tripod mount thingy and you want to get a tripod which accepts that size; there are 3 sizes I believe and my pricey carbon fibre one takes only the biggest size...

I have had a remote trigger (Yongnuo RF-602) and it works perfectly (K3, K1) but I almost never used it.
I really like my Peak Design Slide. The Summit Edition comes in a red and a blue, if you want some colour in your camera straps. I'd also recommend reconsidering whether your current tripod head is sturdy enough for your K-1 and what lenses you're using.

@peterh337, the USB charger sounds useful. Where did you get yours?

11-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DPAV2N0

The two included batteries "must be" junk but they seem to work.

What I don't know is whether this charger, or indeed the Pentax mains powered one, implement any kind of intelligent charging for a lithium battery.

As for the tripod, mine is a Gitzo GT0541 which cost a fortune, is stiff as anything and weighs nothing. I believe in buying the smallest possible quantity of stuff and buying only good stuff I should add that another thing I notice about the K1 is how well balanced the shutter mechanism is. There is just no movement in the camera, which obviously helps to get sharp pics.

The Peak Design tripod adaptor http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-11-30_083310.jpg is however too small for this tripod.