Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Metz mecablitz M400 that just launched is compatible with PTTL as well.
Metz mecablitz M400 compact wireless flash unit now available: Digital Photography Review

Eric

12-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Something's wrong there. Metz is very reliable. I have four different models and all of them work perfectly. Did the flash fail to fire when its own trigger was pressed? That would be very strange for a Metz. IF all your test-firing was via the camera shutter release, then check the flash setting in the camera menu to make sure it is on. If by chance you are using a K1, some strobes will not work because the focal length they communicate is for APS-C and the K1 thinks it's incorrect for the lens attached.
I could only get the flash to fire once by pressing the the trigger on the flash itself. When the flash was mounted on the my K-1, it would show a flash is attached but never could get to fire. I sent it back today and ordered a Metz 44. Hopefully I'll have better luck than the last one.
12-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I could only get the flash to fire once by pressing the the trigger on the flash itself. When the flash was mounted on the my K-1, it would show a flash is attached but never could get to fire. I sent it back today and ordered a Metz 44. Hopefully I'll have better luck than the last one.
Do check for any third-party flashes you own that you've upgraded to the current firmware, where available.
12-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote

The Metz 44 had a firmware upgrade for the K-1 earlier this year. Other forum members have reported that it now works fine with it.

12-06-2016, 01:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

"It is the controller, the others (you might have a keylight flash, a fill flash and a rim flash) are slaves. It has an important job, taking the pre-flash metering from the camera and then telling the slaves how much up or down their power needs to be."

Do all the K1 compatible flashguns have this capability?

What is the name for it?

I used to know a pro with Nikon gear and he showed me how he could set up several Nikon flashguns and the one on the camera would communicate with the others using data encoded on a series of low power flashes i.e. no radio. However he wasn't doing any studio work AFAIK; he used to travel on commissions and photograph people "doing things".

Last edited by peterh337; 12-06-2016 at 02:14 AM.
12-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

I used to know a pro with Nikon gear and he showed me how he could set up several Nikon flashguns and the one on the camera would communicate with the others using data encoded on a series of low power flashes i.e. no radio. However he wasn't doing any studio work AFAIK; he used to travel on commissions and photograph people "doing things".
Pentax use exactly the same principle, Peter. Works very well indoors, you don't need to aim right at the receiver of the other flash because there's enough bounce off walls and ceilings for the signal to get through. Outside, the range is cut down by sunlight.

Its name is 'wireless mode'.

All the Pentax flashes that support it, and any Sigma or Metz or whatever speedlights have what is called P-TTL capability - watch for that term in their specs.

The one that goes on top of your K-1 will have to be capable of being a controller, not just a slave, BTW. Again, you look at the specs, and post a question here if it's ambiguous.
12-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I found many variously confused discussions on P-TTL.

The one thing which is a puzzle is how do you control the individual flash powers. Let's say you want to independently adjust the power of one of three flashguns, which are positioned around the subject. I have a vague recollection that in the Nikon scenario the camera exposed a user interface for doing this, so somehow it knew how many flashes are present and communicating.

With manual flashes it is trivial, of course. And one buy slave flashguns for peanuts... as cheap as you are willing to put up with them falling apart.

12-06-2016, 04:36 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing which is a puzzle is how do you control the individual flash powers. Let's say you want to independently adjust the power of one of three flashguns, which are positioned around the subject.
You can go around to each of the flashguns and adjust their power above or below the average.

I have a vague recollection that in the Nikon scenario the camera exposed a user interface for doing this, so somehow it knew how many flashes are present and communicating.
Some of the models have that built in, and you get four groups, of which the controller takes up one spot, IIRC. I don't think you can adjust individual flashes the way you can with Pentax. It's only a group.

There is a mode like this on Pentax, where you get two groups, of which the controller takes up one spot, but I've never used it.
12-06-2016, 05:00 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not believe it is possible to have 1) multiple (two or more) remote flash units operating on TTL; 2) have the camera AUTOMATICALLY adjust each of the units to a different output.

It IS possible to have 1) multiple (two or more) remote flash units operating on TTL; 2) ON EACH FLASH UNIT adjust the output up/down by 1/3 EV steps; 2) then when the camera is triggered, each strobe will fire according with TTL exposure but adjusted up down.

It IS possible to: 1) have one strobe mounted remotely AND ONE EITHER ON THE CAMERA HOT SHOE OR CONNECTED TO THE SHOE WITH A TTL WIRE; 2) adjust the relative output of the two units from the camera, one set for "master" the other set for "fill" and from the camera adjust the amount of each one separately upward/downward by 1/3 EV steps FOR TTL EXPOSURE (Pentax DSLR's can do this). Normally such a two-strobe set-up would have the "master" unit at the upper left, triggered wirelessly, and the "fill" would be on or connected to the camera hot-shoe set to minus some EV amount to brighten the shadows.

It IS possible to: use multiple manual-only flash units (such as Cactus RF60) that have a dedicated multi-channel remote trigger (such as a Cactus V6 II) on the camera AND individually/separately adjust the manual output of each strobe from the camera position (up to I think six units with the Cactus system). This is basically like a multiple studio monolight set-up in which the output of each monolight can be adjusted separately from the camera position via a multi-channel radio transmitter.
12-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Acon R930 V II

Hi.

I think if you check another thread initiated by Andy888 he is beta testing the multiple PTTL flash scenario with a new Acon trigger. Based on what I've read, the new Acon will be able to adjust multiple PTTL flashes with different power levels/exposure settings possible on each PTTL flash.

You'd have to wait for it to be released though.

Howie Be
12-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It IS possible to: 1) have one strobe mounted remotely AND ONE EITHER ON THE CAMERA HOT SHOE OR CONNECTED TO THE SHOE WITH A TTL WIRE; 2) adjust the relative output of the two units from the camera, one set for "master" the other set for "fill" and from the camera adjust the amount of each one separately upward/downward by 1/3 EV steps FOR TTL EXPOSURE (Pentax DSLR's can do this). Normally such a two-strobe set-up would have the "master" unit at the upper left, triggered wirelessly, and the "fill" would be on or connected to the camera hot-shoe set to minus some EV amount to brighten the shadows..
You're using capitals a lot, Wpresto, but are you sure of this?

Why can't the master fire seven flashes all with their switches set to Contrast Control Sync?

Do you have a reference for your assertion?

Last edited by clackers; 12-06-2016 at 05:20 AM.
12-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I found the older Nikon flashes (SB-20, SB-24, SB-28) all work great on Pentax in Auto (marked A on the flash) mode with often better results then the Pentax AF360FGZ flash in -P-TTL mode.

You just put the camera on manual or aperture mode and select a matching aperture (with the flash) and keep the speed around 160/180.

But if you really want P-TTL, I found the Sigma EF-530 DG ST (earlier version of the flash you mention) gives perfect exposure on my K-50 and K-7.

It's a bit limited on any extra features (in fact, it doesn't have any except the ability to use the flash in full manual) but at only around $50 second hand you can't go wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 12-06-2016 at 06:05 AM.
12-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're using capitals a lot, Wpresto, but are you sure of this?

Why can't the master fire seven flashes all with their switches set to Contrast Control Sync?

Do you have a reference for your assertion?
Obviously it's possible to trigger multiple strobes set to "master" and simultaneously fire multiple "fill" strobes set to "contrast control," but can you separately change the EV output of the "contrast control" strobes wirelessly from the camera?

I believe several slave/fill strobes could be set to different levels of contrast control if you walk around and set each strobe at the strobe, but could they be set to different EV levels of contrast control from the camera position = without walking around and adjusting output on each flash unit individually. Consider multi-flash studio lighting for a portrait with the following (assume for the moment one strobe for each different output): 1) main light high to the left (this sets the reference EV); 2) fill light to soften shadows level to right (set to lower than reference EV); 3) rim light to put highlights on the hair behind to right (set to higher than reference EV by quite a bit); 4) background illumination providing bright center, vignetting toward edges, placed center, behind, almost on the floor aiming up (set to higher than reference EV but not as high as the hair-highlight strobe). Do you know of a TTL system that could set these four light sources wirelessly from the camera, not at the strobe? If you walked about and adjusted the EV output of each strobe individually, it could be done with TTL, but it would not be possible to adjust the four different outputs from the camera position. A system such as the Cactus could set different EV values on multiple strobes from the camera position but only with manual flash, not TTL. I do not think that any wireless system can adjust/set more than two different TTL strobe output levels from the camera: 1) one strobe or bank that is/are the "master;" 2) a second strobe or bank of strobes that is/are "fill" or "contrast control." The question involves setting at least three different TTL outputs wirelessly from the camera, not by going to each strobe unit and adjusting the EV output via the menus in the strobe itself.
12-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously it's possible to trigger multiple strobes set to "master" and simultaneously fire multiple "fill" strobes set to "contrast control," but can you separately change the EV output of the "contrast control" strobes wirelessly from the camera?.
Then to be consistent with the style and content of your second point, the third should begin:

"It IS possible to have multiple (two or more) remote flash units operating on TTL" etc ...

There is no limit as to the number of flashes using P-TTL AFAIK, contrast control mode or otherwise. If they can receive the signal, they're in!

Of course you can go around and change each individual speedlight's power above and below the metered average, you always could. I thought post 23 said that.
12-07-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #30

You should be aware of the fact that the K-1 does not use the Flash's AF beam for metz flashes (and i think any other third party flash). I ordered a Metz 52 af-1 thinking it's the best deal for the money but its pretty disappointing that the af beam is useless, especially since I want to use the k-1 for weddings where I need AF assistance in low light. I am considering returning it right now.