Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

New K1 with a card format problem

I have a new K1 and having an issue I am hoping you can help with. I take a few shots and load them into Lightroom from the memory card. When I put the card back into the camera it gives me a message that "the card is not formatted". The images are on the card for sure. I can format the card and can take more shots. Any thoughts?

12-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you safely "eject" the card before taking it out of your computer? Sometimes skipping this step can cause issues.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Just pulled it out of the reader attached to the Mac. Have done this with K3 and never an issue. Maybe K1 is different.

---------- Post added 12-07-16 at 04:17 PM ----------

Adam, you are right. That was the problem. Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-07-16 at 04:18 PM ----------

Adam, you are right. That was the problem. Thanks.
12-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I occasionally get the same issue on my HP laptop. Even though I do follow proper protocols. I just insert the "failed" card in my laptop. It asks me if I want to repair the card. I say yes. Windows works it magic and the card is good to go with all images intact. I am hoping the new firmware for the K1 fixed whatever is going on. I have never had this problem with my K5, K5-IIs or K3. Only with the K1.

12-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Lightroom Import process has an option to eject the card after import. This should then avoid the need to go through the process manually
12-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
The Lightroom Import process has an option to eject the card after import. This should then avoid the need to go through the process manually

Not everyone uses Lightroom though.

I, sadly, don't have a K1 so I don't have that problem. The problem I had was, one time I "ejected" a card from the onboard card reader on my desktop and the next time I went to use the reader, it wouldn't work. Ejecting the card turned the card reader off and it would not turn back on.
12-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
The problem I had was, one time I "ejected" a card from the onboard card reader on my desktop and the next time I went to use the reader, it wouldn't work. Ejecting the card turned the card reader off and it would not turn back on.
Unfortunately many devices under Windows do this, the card reader on my printer for instance. In the case of the printer I have to turn it off and back on to restore the drive. Some readers you have to unplug them and plug them back in, sometimes in a different USB port.

However there is a light on my printers card reader - just wait until it stops flashing before pulling the card.

12-08-2016, 03:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Not everyone uses Lightroom though.
Sure, but the member who created this thread mentioned using Lightroom, so it seems like a reasonable suggestion.
12-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Unfortunately many devices under Windows do this, the card reader on my printer for instance. In the case of the printer I have to turn it off and back on to restore the drive. Some readers you have to unplug them and plug them back in, sometimes in a different USB port.

However there is a light on my printers card reader - just wait until it stops flashing before pulling the card.

Same goes for both my card adaptors and the internal reader. Always wait for the light to stop blinking before pulling the card.