Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I cannot imagine that such damage would be accepted as a warranty case. Any normal usage with a functional lens would not cause the part to be sheared off like that.
Normally I would tend to agree, though we have had other users on this site who have had similar failure (tab broke off) in normal use.

I agree, it looks fine from what I can see.
I agree and might suggest that the lens becoming jammed was a result of the coupler breakage and not the cause of the failure.

Steve

12-12-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Perhaps the aperture lever of your adapter was stuck, or you had the lens mounted to it incorrectly. There are certain steps that need to be followed when mounting a lens to a P/KA Adaptall adapter. If you don't follow them, you can break the adapter. The steps are described in a small manual that comes with the adapter. I sold all my Adaptall gear, so I don't have the manual anymore, but I'm sure the instructions can be found online somewhere.
It may be that the mechanism in the adapter was jammed in some way, though as with all K-mount bodies, the coupler in the body is spring loaded with actuation being in the upward direction. Damage may happen if the actuator lever/guard on the lens is poor aligned,* but the actuator in the photo appears to look fine. Close comparison with a known good lens might provide a clue.

As for the sequence for attach/detach of adaptall-2 adapters, the general instructions are fairly simple.

To attach:
  • Put lens aperture ring at widest setting
  • Align green dot on adapter with green dot on lens
  • Twist adapter onto lens until silver catch engages to attach
  • Slide two locator tabs into their respective insets on the lens aperture ring
To detach:
  • Put lens aperture ring at widest setting (not required, but good idea. See note below)
  • Depress silver catch to release adapter
  • Rotate adapter to remove from lens
Note: Where things get interesting is when the adapter has a lock for the "A" position. It is possible to detach the lens when the lock is engaged, but doing so will result in the lock remaining in the engaged state and one of the index tabs being in a fixed position. This condition requires some fiddling to resolve.

Note 2: Unless it is an emergency, it is ill-advised to attached/detach the lens from the adapter while the adapter is mounted to the camera body. The adapter is not designed to accommodate those forces.

Edit: The Adaptall-2 manual is available as PDF from the Butkus site (donation appreciated). You want the last link on the page.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/lenses/tamron_adaptall/tamron_adaptall.htm

Steve

* Sadly, I know this from personal experience with a factory fresh Zenitar fisheye. The lens was defective and munged the coupler mechanism on one of my film camera bodies on first mount.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-12-2016 at 11:55 AM.
12-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Normally I would tend to agree, though we have had other users on this site who have had similar failure (tab broke off) in normal use.

I agree and might suggest that the lens becoming jammed was a result of the coupler breakage and not the cause of the failure.

Steve
I've meant to get back here for ages but was lacking some time due to christmas

I've inspected the lens and the adapter meanwhile and I'm pretty sure that the aperture lever in the adapter did not get stuck. At least I can't get it to it do it on purpose now and when the lens is off the adapter it seems to move freely too. (I can't see this getting stuck without the lens on it?)

So you might be quite right. Which would beg the question why the coupler broke in the first place..

Perhaps because he is an honest person and would not want to make someone else pay for his own misfortune?

I cannot imagine that such damage would be accepted as a warranty case. Any normal usage with a functional lens would not cause the part to be sheared off like that.

I wish Topsy all the best, but I don't think this should be claimed as a warranty case, nor do I think a claim would stand a chance. It always is a judgement call of the respective repair centre but much less crass warranty cases have been rejected by Pentax, for instance ingress of moisture even though the camera was only used in very foggy conditions (according the poster).
Yes, I wouldn't ever try to obtain a free repair if I would know that it's absolutely my fault.
However if I'm unsure as to how it happened I'm willing to try.
I've been to the shop and asked who repairs them in switzerland and will give them a call next year.