Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I crippled my mount totally.

Hey guys,

I've got a request that's slightly out of the ordinary.
Could someone post a picture of the aperture linkage thing in the mount?

Mine is.. not there/complete anymore since I got an adaptall lens stuck (I assume it's since then) a couple of weeks ago. Luckily the part must've flown through the living room and not stayed in the camera, though I'll check thoroughly this evening!
I noticed a strange behaviour on my K 50/1.4 yesterday and again today and decided to inspect the linkage.
Really quite happy now that the only auto aperture lens I own is the kit 18-55 of the k50.

I guess I'd better get it fixed though before I forget all about it, I just want to make sure what's really missing.

Thanks,
Topsy

12-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps a picture of the damage?
12-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure,

*image is on it's head.

ugh, needs a clean too
12-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

Well least you won't have to worry about the aperture block failure.

And now you should be to stop down lenses in Av mode.

On my K10D the part is L shaped. There is a rectangular block that looks like was shaved off on yours.

12-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

Had (have) a similar problem on my K10 - the spring(?) that holds the block in the midway position has broken, leaving the block in the up position which means I cannot physically mount a bayonet lens at all - as the lens jams in the mount.
So I have had to fit a permanent M40 adapter and dig out my old takumars......................

Roger

Last edited by cbrog; 12-10-2016 at 12:44 PM.
12-10-2016, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got one shaky image off before my batteries died on my k100d. should be what you need though. From my ks2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
12-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Well least you won't have to worry about the aperture block failure.
Well that's one way too look at it

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Got one shaky image off before my batteries died on my k100d. should be what you need though. From my ks2.

Thanks!
yeah, I guess that's one of the things that deceive you into thinking that it's easy to fix. I won't touch it.

12-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Thanks!
yeah, I guess that's one of the things that deceive you into thinking that it's easy to fix. I won't touch it.
(Scratches head...) Why would you want to do a DIY repair on a camera that is still under warranty? Breakage of this sort not common, but is clearly a materials issue and should be covered under warranty.

Steve
12-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Scratches head...) Why would you want to do a DIY repair on a camera that is still under warranty? Breakage of this sort not common, but is clearly a materials issue and should be covered under warranty.

Steve
Yeah, I guess it is covered under warranty if I omit the detail that an old 3rd party lens got jammed on the mount.
But don't worry, there's no way I'm going to DIY anything on this camera, I was merely stating that it's a part that looks easily fixable on your own, but that there's way too much that can go wrong in there.
12-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, I guess it is covered under warranty if I omit the detail that an old 3rd party lens got jammed on the mount.
Oh of curiosity, what does the adaptall mount look like?

Steve
12-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #11

Yes, if it is still under warranty send it in. The worst they could say is that it is abuse and not covered. In which case they will quote you a price to repair / replace. They would probably replace the entire aperture block in which case you might come out ahead of the game.
12-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh of curiosity, what does the adaptall mount look like?

Steve
Like this:

Excuse the shoddy phone pictures.

This is my first adaptall lens and I hope that there isn't some incompatibility and that this adapter simply is.. broken?
It looks perfectly fine though

Bit of a shame, I bought the lens (85-210 4.5 macro) for 6$ thinking I might either sell the lens on, use the lens for some project or simply sell the adapter and lens separately on ebay after giving it a quick test.
Didn't even test it properly after all as I was too freaked out at it being stuck

Last edited by Topsy; 12-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
12-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

(Scratches head...) Why would you want to do a DIY repair on a camera that is still under warranty?
Perhaps because he is an honest person and would not want to make someone else pay for his own misfortune?

Breakage of this sort not common, but is clearly a materials issue and should be covered under warranty.
I cannot imagine that such damage would be accepted as a warranty case. Any normal usage with a functional lens would not cause the part to be sheared off like that.

I wish Topsy all the best, but I don't think this should be claimed as a warranty case, nor do I think a claim would stand a chance. It always is a judgement call of the respective repair centre but much less crass warranty cases have been rejected by Pentax, for instance ingress of moisture even though the camera was only used in very foggy conditions (according the poster).
12-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It looks perfectly fine though
I agree, it looks fine from what I can see.

Have a look at the adapter I once owned and see if you can spot any difference.

Perhaps the aperture lever of your adapter was stuck, or you had the lens mounted to it incorrectly. There are certain steps that need to be followed when mounting a lens to a P/KA Adaptall adapter. If you don't follow them, you can break the adapter. The steps are described in a small manual that comes with the adapter. I sold all my Adaptall gear, so I don't have the manual anymore, but I'm sure the instructions can be found online somewhere.
12-12-2016, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #15

Instructions can be found in this post. The poster offered a PDF of the manual
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101240-adap...ml#post1040982

Edit: looks like you can download a PDF of the manual here:

http://www.gyes.eu/documents/adaptall_custom_mounts.htm

Here is a review of the P/KA adapter:

http://www.gyes.eu/photo/reviews_tutorials/adaptall-2_custom-mount-pka.htm

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-12-2016 at 08:56 AM.