Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any camera-based tutorials you'd like to see?

I managed to pick up a capture card, so I can record video and photos directly off of my cameras' screens now. So, if you'd like a tutorial on the astrotracer, or Wi-Fi or anything else, I'm happy to oblige. I have my trusty K-1, as well as my K-30 and K-x.

12-13-2016, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd most like to see a tutorial about how to effectively use pixel shift whilst skydiving from the edge of space, in a space suit.

If you are however scared of heights like me, maybe that's not entirely practical, but that's the tutorial I'd most like to see.
12-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I managed to pick up a capture card, so I can record video and photos directly off of my cameras' screens now. So, if you'd like a tutorial on the astrotracer, or Wi-Fi or anything else, I'm happy to oblige. I have my trusty K-1, as well as my K-30 and K-x.
Astro-tracer would be a very good one. I've never used that funtionality in my K-3II (I believe the process is the same as other Pentax models), and a how-to might jump-start me into trying it
12-13-2016, 03:30 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Judging from many forum posts (going all the way back to the K-3, in fact, on much the same subject) I think a very popular tutorial would be one that described all the auto-focus settings and features of the K-1, and how to use them optimally (PDAF, CDAF, AF-C, etc).

12-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I'd most like to see a tutorial about how to effectively use pixel shift whilst skydiving from the edge of space, in a space suit.

If you are however scared of heights like me, maybe that's not entirely practical, but that's the tutorial I'd most like to see.
I don't see that as something feasible... how do you expect pixel shift to work well, if you're moving?
12-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Judging from many forum posts (going all the way back to the K-3, in fact, on much the same subject) I think a very popular tutorial would be one that described all the auto-focus settings and features of the K-1, and how to use them optimally (PDAF, CDAF, AF-C, etc).
Came in to say this! It remains the biggest mystery to me and undoubtedly many other hobbyist shooters.
12-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I'd greatly appreciate a tutorial as per rawr and Fat Alberts' suggestions above. I must have taken close to 1000 pics this summer of hummingbirds and finches in my backyard and I'd be lucky if there were 5 sharply focused shots and I tried every combo of settings I could think of -- this was with the K-1 and the 150-450. Any help with autofocusing in different situations and where one mode might be more successful than another would of great help.

12-13-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
how to effectively use pixel shift whilst skydiving from the edge of space, in a space suit.
With or without tripod?
12-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I don't see that as something feasible... how do you expect pixel shift to work well, if you're moving?
Well obviously make sure motion correction is turned on, and you might need to trigger the shot via wifi to minimise blur.

---------- Post added 12-14-16 at 03:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
With or without tripod?
Without. Should be a good test of the shake reduction.
12-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for the great suggestions, everyone! I've just finished outlining an article on as many different aspects of Pentax Autofocus as I thought I could bear writing about.

I'll let you know when it's published, then we'll see about those astrotracer and Pixel Shift in Space articles.
02-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Thank you for the great suggestions, everyone! I've just finished outlining an article on as many different aspects of Pentax Autofocus as I thought I could bear writing about.

I'll let you know when it's published, then we'll see about those astrotracer and Pixel Shift in Space articles.
I'm a recent K-1 owner (having shot Canons since the late 70s) and was searching the forum for any K-1 tutorials that might help me learn all there is to know about my new camera. I've actually read the entire manual (never done that before for any product) but the manual only tells you all the fun things you can do, but doesn't explain when to use which setting, etc. I am also interested in the camera's autofocusing system (which settings are best for certain shots) when I came across this thread. lithedreamer, have you had a chance to write your article and if so, where may I find it? Thanks in advance!
02-14-2017, 01:29 AM   #12

A tutorial on astrotracer would be awesome as would one on pixel shift from capture to post processing.

Thanks
02-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think all the ideas here are great!