Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unintended factory reset

I was in a rush to catch the sunset tonight and when I got the camera out it seemed slower to start up. Then it prompted for language and went to the initial setup process! I got a few shots off but shot jpeg instead of my preferred raw because my settings were all reset.
I can accept this as a one time glitch but has anyone else seen it? Firmware is the latest.

12-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No! Did you have the battery removed for an extended period? (I'm not saying that would cause it, just hypothesising.)
12-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Haven't encountered any unwanted factory reset. Did you leave the camera switched On in the bag? Could it be that some buttons got unintentionally pressed? If so, on the K1, it is possible to lock the user interface.
12-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

From the manual, page 34

"The date and time may be reset if you leave the battery out of the camera for long periods of time. If this happens, set the current date and time again."

There will be a small internal battery that is sufficient to keep time when the main battery is removed, but that will eventually exhaust. Perhaps yours is weakened/damaged.

12-14-2016, 02:08 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
...but shot jpeg instead of my preferred raw because my settings were all reset.
I don't mean to nitpick and I hope your camera is alright but the logic for shooting jpgs makes no sense to me. Why would you prefer compressed files over raws?
12-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IggzDaLoc Quote
I don't mean to nitpick and I hope your camera is alright but the logic for shooting jpgs makes no sense to me. Why would you prefer compressed files over raws?
Read the post! His camera lost its settings, so it went back to the default, jpeg, without him noticing.
12-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Read the post! His camera lost its settings, so it went back to the default, jpeg, without him noticing.
Oh, wow. That's my que to get some sleep! Hahah

12-14-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"The date and time may be reset if you leave the battery out of the camera for long periods of time. If this happens, set the current date and time again."

There will be a small internal battery that is sufficient to keep time when the main battery is removed, but that will eventually exhaust. Perhaps yours is weakened/damaged.
That was my first thought, too. I have had this issue with a couple of compacts. One is reset every time I remove the battery even for a brief time, and I think one I had years ago prompted for date and time each time it was switched on even without having the battery removed.
12-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well you are high and dry on Colorado. Maybe a static discharge. My K3 did something weird in Montana this year. Suddenly started giving me strangely colored photos etc. Nothing would fix it except to restore factory default settings. These are complex electrical wonders but are easily affected by static.
12-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #10

My K10D will once in a great while power off and on after taking a shot. I lose the shot but the settings don't reset.
12-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well you are high and dry on Colorado. Maybe a static discharge. My K3 did something weird in Montana this year. Suddenly started giving me strangely colored photos etc. Nothing would fix it except to restore factory default settings. These are complex electrical wonders but are easily affected by static.
Sounds like the cross processing digital effect got turned on?
12-14-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I changed the battery from a half-drained one before I went out and it always has a battery in it. Static is certainly a possibility. I just hope it was a one-time thing!
12-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it lose settings if you pull your battery for a minute or two? Because if it does, it probably needs a replacement internal battery or capacitor that keeps the settings in the camera. I still shoot with a K-01 some and if I pull the battery for more than 15 seconds, it loses everything. It isn't worth fixing for that old a camera, but on your K-1 it would still be under warranty...
12-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does it lose settings if you pull your battery for a minute or two? Because if it does, it probably needs a replacement internal battery or capacitor that keeps the settings in the camera. I still shoot with a K-01 some and if I pull the battery for more than 15 seconds, it loses everything. It isn't worth fixing for that old a camera, but on your K-1 it would still be under warranty...
Not that I have noticed but I have probably never changed the battery that slowly. I'll give it a try when I have a chance. Thanks.
12-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I often leave my K-1 without a battery for several hours or overnight while the battery is charging. I have never lost settings.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 12-14-2016 at 04:44 PM.