Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Warranty transfer

Hi all,

I may have found a pretty good deal on an almost new K1 which comes unboxed with just the charger and no warranty documents; I'm tempted as the deal is really good, but the fact that the seller doesn't have warranty papers concerns me; looks like a serious seller, so maybe the previous owner (it's an ebay store) threw or lost box, discs, paper etc...the good thing is that it would be from an EU seller so it would be under EU warranty, which would be OK for me as I'm from Italy.
Is there a way i can transfer the warranty by using the camera serial number (which I guess is printed on the camera body)? Or should I pass on this one?

Thanx

12-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want ask your question in the Ask Ricoh Imaging Supprt Forum (shortcut below).

Ask Ricoh Imaging Support - PentaxForums.com

That would probably be the way to get the most direct answer. There is also the Repairs and Warranty Service Forum (address below).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/
12-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanx, I'll give it a try.
12-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think the warranty is transferable, but maybe there are different rules in the EU governing that. I know that normally, the warranty covers only the original end user.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
So what happens if one buys it second hand: you either have the papers or you are SOL...?
12-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had a similar situation last spring. Sent an enquiry about warranty policy to the Pentax disributor. Their response was very straightforward: without documents they cannot provide warranty coverage.
I did not find the price difference big enough to justify the risk. Bought a new one the normal way.
12-18-2016, 04:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
In this case I should consider if the price difference is worth the risk of living without warranty for about one year, I think the camera is a few months old, EU warranty is like 2 years, right?
Not sure about the fail rate of the camera; I never had to send my K30 in during the 4 years I used it, and I bought it open box from an ebay store in UK.
Also, the price difference is very good, like 25% off...

12-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
In this case I should consider if the price difference is worth the risk of living without warranty for about one year, I think the camera is a few months old, EU warranty is like 2 years, right?
Not sure about the fail rate of the camera; I never had to send my K30 in during the 4 years I used it, and I bought it open box from an ebay store in UK.
Also, the price difference is very good, like 25% off...
Yes, EU warranty for a new camera is 2 years.
The likelihood of a warranty repair is really hard to estimate. Looking back in time my K-10 did need a repair, K-7 did not, K-5 did, K-3 did not... The cost can of course be almost anything depending on what went wrong. It easily goes up to a couple of hundred euros. Hence one single trip to the workshop may draw the balance into the red.
For me personally the price difference would have to be at that level to get me to even consider this option.
I quess you get to test the body before closing the deal?

Last edited by PePe; 12-18-2016 at 11:51 AM.
12-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
It's out of reach but I'm asking for a 30 days trial period or money back. I'd be covered by Paypal and ebay protection in case I spot something I don't like, which has always saved my butt up to now, even when I was sent third party lenses with Nikon mount that were advertised as Pentax, and I got refunded of shipping too. So I think I'm pretty safe in that regard, even though that money it's not peanuts...
12-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
It's out of reach but I'm asking for a 30 days trial period or money back. I'd be covered by Paypal and ebay protection in case I spot something I don't like, which has always saved my butt up to now, even when I was sent third party lenses with Nikon mount that were advertised as Pentax, and I got refunded of shipping too. So I think I'm pretty safe in that regard, even though that money it's not peanuts...
So let me get this straight.....You know the complete facts on the Camera and it seems the seller disclosed the facts.....BUT.....once You get it and simply don't like something (apart from defective or not as described)....You will USE PayPal and Ebay policy to return it ? And You have done this before ?
An Item Not As Described....Defective.....or The wrong Item.....that's one thing.
But to get a Free Trial run.....and if Not Happy about something , and then Return it....That's Just not Kosher !

Interesting......But I would advise Passing on it simply because of a Lack of Warranty.....No Matter how good it seems.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-18-2016 at 05:53 PM.
12-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
So let me get this straight.....You know the complete facts on the Camera and it seems the seller disclosed the facts.....BUT.....once You get it and simply don't like something (apart from defective or not as described)....You will USE PayPal and Ebay policy to return it ? And You have done this before ?
An Item Not As Described....Defective.....or The wrong Item.....that's one thing.
But to get a Free Trial run.....and if Not Happy about something , and then Return it....That's Just not Kosher !

Interesting......But I would advise Passing on it simply because of a Lack of Warranty.....No Matter how good it seems.
I read the comments as "see something I don't like" to mean something not as advertised or not to factory spec. This is based on the follow up text where a wrong lens mount was mentioned.
12-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
By "I don't like" I meant something wrong with the camera, as I know the specs inside out having gone over them dozens of times before deciding to go for the purchase...
12-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #13

Original Poster
...never mind...it's already been sold.