Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA 35mm 2.00 or FA 50mm 1.4

Hi folks,

Just looking for help with a travel decision. I only have room for one of these on a trip to Cuba. Also have the 28-105 but figure a brighter lens may come in handy.

I'm sorely tempted by 50, but wonder if wider 35 is a better choice for street photography etc.

Any experience or thoughts appreciated.

Rgds
Frank

12-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was in Melbourne last, I found the lens that spent most of the time on my APS-C camera for street work was the DA21, so about a 30mm field of view. On this basis, I'd take the 35/2.0. You can crop to a fifty millimetre field of view easily enough at the cost of some megapixels, and you're only losing one stop of light by leaving the fifty at home.
12-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I have both of those lenses but I have only just got a K-1. The answer to this largely depends on your shooting style which only you can answer.
That said, for me, while I love the FA35, the FA50 is a great for all round photography and has the advantage of better bokeh and a great choice for low light situations. For outdoors you do need a good hood to get the best out of the FA50 though (thankfully the 35 comes with a good, reversable for easy carriage, hood).
12-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
When I was in Melbourne last, I found the lens that spent most of the time on my APS-C camera for street work was the DA21, so about a 30mm field of view. On this basis, I'd take the 35/2.0. You can crop to a fifty millimetre field of view easily enough at the cost of some megapixels, and you're only losing one stop of light by leaving the fifty at home.
Yeah, that is my inclination at the moment Pathdoc. Thanks

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2016 at 06:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well I have both of those lenses but I have only just got a K-1. The answer to this largely depends on your shooting style which only you can answer.
That said, for me, while I love the FA35, the FA50 is a great for all round photography and has the advantage of better bokeh and a great choice for low light situations. For outdoors you do need a good hood to get the best out of the FA50 though (thankfully the 35 comes with a good, reversable for easy carriage, hood).
Thanks Kiwi_jono hope you're enjoying the K1. Yeah the screw on hood for the 50 is a bit of a pain. I do love the crisp sharpness and bokeh. I tend to shoot wide, so sometimes I like the forced challenge of adjusting to 50mm perspective

12-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
frankoz, if you're shooting with a K-1, I'd say bring the faster lens. If you're shooting with APS-C, I find 50mm too tight.