Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #46
Veteran Member

The issue may appear after certain period of use. My 2nd K-1 does not do it yet. 1st started it after I purchased 15-30 and used it heavily.

02-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #47

Hello all, may anyone get the message from Ricoh how to solve the issue ? My grip have the same problem
03-03-2017, 12:50 PM - 6 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is what I did with it to solve the issue and it worked. Since the beginning grip was creaking near IR sensor when you lift or move K-1 camera in hand. It felt like some cheap plastic thing due to creaking. Really bad feeling because I like the build of the camera and want it to be perfect, but that feeling in my hand wasn't good.
I unscrewed one of the two screws on the front side of the grip, closer to the lens mount, that are revealed once you open battery doors at the bottom of the grip. I unscrewed it anticlockwise for approximately 270 dehrees, i.e. not full circle. Creaking completely stopped. Tested it today with the heaviest lens and it's fine. Miracle. But before it was really not pleasant. Now, loving my camera even more. Hope this helps you too. See the attached photo of how it was done.
Attached Images

03-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Oh yea. Familiar screw. But, my unit got better after I tightened all the screws which were loose. And there were a lot of them. Maybe there is certain amount of right tightening required and you just found it.

03-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Update! My 2nd K-1 started this phenomenon yesterday. Something is definitely loose around the IR-sensor. Just like with the first one. I tried out playing with that particular screw as 5r82 posted above but this did not solve the problem. Duh! Not gonna bother sending it for repairs though.
08-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
Here is what I did with it to solve the issue and it worked. Since the beginning grip was creaking near IR sensor when you lift or move K-1 camera in hand. It felt like some cheap plastic thing due to creaking. Really bad feeling because I like the build of the camera and want it to be perfect, but that feeling in my hand wasn't good.
I unscrewed one of the two screws on the front side of the grip, closer to the lens mount, that are revealed once you open battery doors at the bottom of the grip. I unscrewed it anticlockwise for approximately 270 dehrees, i.e. not full circle. Creaking completely stopped. Tested it today with the heaviest lens and it's fine. Miracle. But before it was really not pleasant. Now, loving my camera even more. Hope this helps you too. See the attached photo of how it was done.
My K-1 was doing the same thing- making a slight clicking sound at the grip after about three months of use. I had loosened (about 90 deg) the screw that you suggested above and the clicking ceased. Thanks for the tip!!! I'm sure this issue is no big/functional deal but just in minor annoyance to have it feel kind of "cheap" whenever you pick up camera..
01-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #52

Hi Pentaxians ,
greetings from Czech Republic. I have the same problem with grip on my K-1 limited silver edition.
I feel a small move in grip always when I pick up my camera in my hands. Unfortunately , it is my second body K-1 limited silver edition with the same defect.
The first one I sent back the seller within the statutory time limit and the second one I will send on complaint and describe the defect. Is anybody here , whom was the problem with the grip recognized and was corrected ? I ´m little bit confused. Please let me know your opinion and experiences Thanks a lot. I´m sorry for my English. elpí

01-30-2018, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try to loosen the screw just a little bit as shown in post 48 above. That fixed the problem for most of us. Some still had the sound so it does not always work.
06-29-2018, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #54

Same problem on my K1 silver ..after reading many post I tried .....only a little bit loosening the two battery screws ( as suggested in the previous post) less than 180 degree...finally it works ...I hope this lasts forever ....but with heaviest lens ( i.e. FA* 80-200) I have some doubts......
07-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #55

My brand new K-1 Mk II started to exhibit this creaking/ clicking issue while on vacation in Greece. I was using the body+battery grip and 24-70 lens (heavy but by no means a monster) with the Blackrapid strap and it was working beautifully. We were on a day trip to Olympia so I was taking tons of pictures and it started creaking about half-way through the day. At first I thought it might be the IS system moving but realized that it was actually the grip area making the "clicking" sound, like the grip finish surface had come slightly loose from the body structure underneath.

At any rate, it's really annoying and makes the body feel cheap IMO. It doesn't affect performance of the camera, at least for now, but I'm not sure if this is an issue that will get worse over time or if it will be worse with longer, heavier lenses. Is it worth getting this "fixed" under warranty (purchased body in late April). If so, what exactly IS the fix that Pentax service does to prevent the issue from returning?

I haven't tried the screw loosening trick yet, but loosening screws seems to be a counter-intuitive and extremely sketchy solution to this problem.
07-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisP Quote
My brand new K-1 Mk II started to exhibit this creaking/ clicking issue while on vacation in Greece. I was using the body+battery grip and 24-70 lens (heavy but by no means a monster) with the Blackrapid strap and it was working beautifully. We were on a day trip to Olympia so I was taking tons of pictures and it started creaking about half-way through the day. At first I thought it might be the IS system moving but realized that it was actually the grip area making the "clicking" sound, like the grip finish surface had come slightly loose from the body structure underneath.

At any rate, it's really annoying and makes the body feel cheap IMO. It doesn't affect performance of the camera, at least for now, but I'm not sure if this is an issue that will get worse over time or if it will be worse with longer, heavier lenses. Is it worth getting this "fixed" under warranty (purchased body in late April). If so, what exactly IS the fix that Pentax service does to prevent the issue from returning?

I haven't tried the screw loosening trick yet, but loosening screws seems to be a counter-intuitive and extremely sketchy solution to this problem.
Try it. Just a little bit will do . Yo can always tighten again if you are still not happy.
07-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Try it. Just a little bit will do . Yo can always tighten again if you are still not happy.
I'll give it a shot; it's too easy NOT to try it, but seems like a bizarre "fix". I wonder what Pentax does to solve the issue if you send it in for service? Does it come back again after the "official" fix?
07-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #58
ne!
Forum Member

My K-1mkII had this creak out of the box, too. FWIW, relative humidity levels and/or temperature had an effect on the severity of the issue.

Last edited by ne!; 07-31-2018 at 07:17 PM.
08-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
When you have a body like this, it's hard to figure out how creaking in the locations identified could happen - unless it has something to do with some parts under the camera's rubbery 'skin' ?:
It could do with the outer shell moving the plastic battery compartment under the shell.

With the bodies that I have apart there is stripes of what looks like padding for the shell to rest against. and as for trying to tighten some screws I don't see any that would aid in removing this flex other that the 2 found on the side of the body.

On the k7 just in behind at the finger recess the out shell slides into a guide on the plastic battery compartment which is more than likely the cause of this noise

Also on at least one of the bodies you can see how there is movement between the outer shell and the plastic battery compartment near where they are fastened via wear marks, so there is some play happening in this area.
08-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
It could do with the outer shell moving the plastic battery compartment under the shell.

With the bodies that I have apart there is stripes of what looks like padding for the shell to rest against. and as for trying to tighten some screws I don't see any that would aid in removing this flex other that the 2 found on the side of the body.

On the k7 just in behind at the finger recess the out shell slides into a guide on the plastic battery compartment which is more than likely the cause of this noise

Also on at least one of the bodies you can see how there is movement between the outer shell and the plastic battery compartment near where they are fastened via wear marks, so there is some play happening in this area.
How difficult is it to remove the shell and DIY some filler shims?