Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Probably not, but it does not matter. This is hilarious issue as it does matter either that body is made of mag alloy. What matters is that this issue causes a feeling of operating a plastic bucket.

12-22-2016, 05:54 AM - 4 Likes   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I didn't bother since it's been some days since there's been any response at all from a Ricoh representative to concerns there. Probably just the holidays.
I've sent Bruce - @BigRed - a PM to alert Ricoh to the issue...
12-22-2016, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Nice, will be looking what they answer.
12-23-2016, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Probably not, but it does not matter. This is hilarious issue as it does matter either that body is made of mag alloy. What matters is that this issue causes a feeling of operating a plastic bucket.
I agree, mine has been creaking since day one and while not being a huge problem it does take a way the "solid" feeling the camera otherwise would have. Now it just feels embarrassing in a way. As when proudly handing it over to someone to admire it and the first thing that happens is the handle starts creaking.

12-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Indeed sir. Exactly what happened to me. I handed over K-1 with 15-30 to a Nikon user and was asked what was the body made of again? Not a joke.
12-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've sent Bruce - @BigRed - a PM to alert Ricoh to the issue...
Any anwser from him ?

Thanks for sending him a PM by the way.
12-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Any anwser from him ?

Thanks for sending him a PM by the way.
Nothing yet, I'm afraid...

12-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI. I don't have K-1 yet. But my K-3 has the same creaking mentioned here. What I discovered was it is caused by the battery latch that holds battery in place. The tolerance between battery and the latch has to be right. Otherwise, a slight force on grip can cause that creaking. When I got a second OEM battery, that noise is absent. This led me to think it indeed is battery-related. I used knife to shave that latch a little to make it thinner.Then for most part, noise is gone.

Add: please see my further explanation below.

Last edited by hyyz; 12-30-2016 at 08:48 AM.
12-27-2016, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #39

I`ve had the creaking sound from day one... I called the repair shop that does the repairs for Pentax in Germany, and the answer I got was that it is nothing to worry about... I live in Peru so there is no Pentax repairs around here and the creaking is not consistent... of course I feel it more with a heavy lens (tamarin 70-200) but I feel that it also depends a little bit in the weather... canŽt really say if it is battery related... but IŽll try to watch out for it...
12-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Correct,nothing to worry about.
Best regards
12-30-2016, 05:27 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Let's be honest - nothing is worth worrying about until it happens with own device.
12-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Explain a bit about my observation mentioned above. It is the white latch in battery compartment that rubs the battery compartment cover. My theory is: if battery is slightly larger than nominal, it would push the latch harder and causes it to be slightly outward. If this is severe enough, the latch would touch the cover. If you look at inside of the cover, there's a recess in it to accommodate the latch. But sometimes it may not be enough. For instance, if battery is larger than nominal, or if grip flexes due to heavy lens attached, the latch can contact the cover, causing creaking noise. I confirmed this by checking the recess and found rubbing mark. So, I shaved the latch a little and solved it.

This is just my 2 cents. And this is for my K-3. Hope this might be helpful.

Last edited by hyyz; 12-30-2016 at 08:42 AM.
01-01-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Explain a bit about my observation mentioned above. It is the white latch in battery compartment that rubs the battery compartment cover. My theory is: if battery is slightly larger than nominal, it would push the latch harder and causes it to be slightly outward. If this is severe enough, the latch would touch the cover. If you look at inside of the cover, there's a recess in it to accommodate the latch. But sometimes it may not be enough. For instance, if battery is larger than nominal, or if grip flexes due to heavy lens attached, the latch can contact the cover, causing creaking noise. I confirmed this by checking the recess and found rubbing mark. So, I shaved the latch a little and solved it.

This is just my 2 cents. And this is for my K-3. Hope this might be helpful.
Checked this on mine. The problem doesn't come from the latch and cbattery cover.

And I confirm that my problem is not really a creaking but more a pop/click kind of sound when I press on the grip, or when lifting heavy lense.
01-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #44
Veteran Member

No issue with latch here. It may be IR sensor moving with the rubber and causing the sound. It was not there out of the box either.
01-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #45

Original Poster
Just to keep you updated:

I've send back my k-1 under warranty, but i won't be able to tell you if and how pentax would have solve the issue beacuse they detect another problem (anormal sound when you release the shutter) on my k-1 and they are going to send it to japan for further analysis.

So they change it for a new body.

Hope the new body won't have the same grip issue.