Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don’t see how shimming would reduce or stop the play and I don’t think you would want to ether as you may create more of a problem with the fix than what is the actual problem of the creak

so here you are looking at the front panel from a K7, you can see this ridge circled in red this slides into a track on the battery compartment you can see some wear in this area

Here you are looking at the front panel from the bottom and notice that ridge and you can also see wear.

Here we are looking at the battery compartment and that raised ridge on the front panel sides into the space

Looking into the battery compartment, you can also see what appears like felt padding on the outside area of the battery compartment this is probably there to stop any creaking

Here you can see how both the front panel and battery compartment slide together.

You can see how these slide together in the battery compartment, a person might consider using a small dab of lub where these 2 surfaces meet that might be the best fix something like a silicon based grease and I am just talking about a small amount and get into there with a toothpick. Don't use the location of the arrows as a guide as to were you should apply the lub

Edit

Here in red is where I would apply the lub
I would not be too to worked about some creaking as long as the front, bottom and top panels are tight to the underlying structures, far as I can see pentax has chosen not to securely attach these 2 components in this location.

I would also like to point out the screws that people are showing to tighten go into plastic and would apply caution to how much you tighten them.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 08-02-2018 at 09:27 PM.
08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I don’t see how shimming would reduce or stop the play and I don’t think you would want to ether as you may create more of a problem with the fix than what is the actual problem of the creak

so here you are looking at the front panel from a K7, you can see this ridge circled in red this slides into a track on the battery compartment you can see some wear in this area

Here you are looking at the front panel from the bottom and notice that ridge and you can also see wear.

Here we are looking at the battery compartment and that raised ridge on the front panel sides into the space

Looking into the battery compartment, you can also see what appears like felt padding on the outside area of the battery compartment this is probably there to stop any creaking

Here you can see how both the front panel and battery compartment slide together.

You can see how these slide together in the battery compartment, a person might consider using a small dab of lub where these 2 surfaces meet that might be the best fix something like a silicon based grease and I am just talking about a small amount and get into there with a toothpick. Don't use the location of the arrows as a guide as to were you should apply the lub

Edit

Here in red is where I would apply the lub
I would not be too to worked about some creaking as long as the front, bottom and top panels are tight to the underlying structures, far as I can see pentax has chosen not to securely attach these 2 components in this location.

I would also like to point out the screws that people are showing to tighten go into plastic and would apply caution to how much you tighten them.
Thanks for this; great info. I'm going to try the "loosening" one or two of the screws under my battery door and see if it makes any difference. It seems as though this is really more of an annoyance than a sign of a real problem...but it's extremely annoying and destroys the illusion of solidity.
08-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisP Quote
It seems as though this is really more of an annoyance than a sign of a real problem...but it's extremely annoying and destroys the illusion of solidity.
I would not be worried about it and would be more worried about any compromises done to weather sealing by loosening any screws
08-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #64

Photos: Albums
My K-1 Mark II also recently started exhibiting the creaking noise right by the IR sensor window. A bit annoying but as long as function isn't impeded or weather sealing compromised, isn't worth my time obsessing over. Personally, I think it may just be the area where the semi translucent window mates with the magnesium frame.

08-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
My K-1 Mark II also recently started exhibiting the creaking noise right by the IR sensor window. A bit annoying but as long as function isn't impeded or weather sealing compromised, isn't worth my time obsessing over. Personally, I think it may just be the area where the semi translucent window mates with the magnesium frame.
My upgraded K1 has started this as well. I don't remember it before I sent it in for upgrade....but I'm now using it much more at work, so maybe I'm just noticing it.
08-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

It's already been 2.5 years (time flies!) since I posted Grip creaking (near IR sensor) - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com as a solution to this issue. In the meantime I have taken many photos with K-1 and have carried it for many kilometers in my hand by holding its grip. I climb mountains and it was always with me, so it wasn't treated gently. No issues and creaking since loosening that screw. Only rubber became little bit loose.
08-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #67

I noticed I got a creaking sound when pushing the SD-card door, which happens if you have a firm grip around the camera.
I wonder if anyone else noticed that.

12-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #68

Sorry to dredge up an old post again but my grip creaking is getting worse. It becomes more apparent with the vertical grip attached. Theory is that when the grip is tightened down, it's flexing the bottom plate of the camera unevenly, thus compounding the issue. The creaking practically disappears if I remove the grip which is why I mentioned it.

It's really annoying when I have my heavy Pentax 70-200 mounted.

My question is this: what size JIS drivers do I need for the screws under the battery door? I've reduced the creaking somewhat using a regular Phillips by loosening two of the screws slightly, but now I'd like to try and tighten all of them including the one at the very top of the compartment. I don't want to accidentally strip the screws in the process.

And just for giggles, here's a picture of Pentax next to my Pentax.

12-23-2019, 03:14 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-1 was creaking too, but it just dissapeared with the use without me doing anything. I also use it mostly with teles. I just mention my experience.
12-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny how long this thread has been going. I fixed my creaking (so long ago that I do not remember if it was a K-1 or the K-1ii) by loosening slightly two of the bottom screws. Fixed it for good. Not really a major issue. I note BigMackCam's comment from some time ago that his Canon creaked like mad.
12-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Funny how long this thread has been going. I fixed my creaking (so long ago that I do not remember if it was a K-1 or the K-1ii) by loosening slightly two of the bottom screws. Fixed it for good. Not really a major issue. I note BigMackCam's comment from some time ago that his Canon creaked like mad.
Do you remember what size JIS drivers you used?

12-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I do not remember. I have a set and just tried them until I found what I needed. Sets are fairly inexpensive on Amazon.
12-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #73
Pentaxian

hey, amstel78... i'm in nepa and i have all the sizes of jis screwdriver bits if you happened to be close and wanted to try them. mcmaster sells them too.
12-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
hey, amstel78... i'm in nepa and i have all the sizes of jis screwdriver bits if you happened to be close and wanted to try them. mcmaster sells them too.
That's very kind of you. Perhaps in the spring or so we could meet up? I'm in Shohola. Where abouts in NEPA are you located?

12-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
That's very kind of you. Perhaps in the spring or so we could meet up? I'm in Shohola. Where abouts in NEPA are you located?
i'm in the lehigh valley, not terribly far! any time that works is good for me.