Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What is your sharpest Lens on K-1?

I have had the K-1 and some lenses for a few months now. While I have been impressed with the body itself and the features it has I have been underwhelmed with the results. Not to say they are horrible but not the jump in wow factor I had expected for the MP size. I have the following lenses currently:

28-105mm FA
77mm LTD
50mm 1.8
35mm 2.4

I realize I have some lower end lenses in there. This weekend I went thru and did micro focus adjustments on all the lenses. Most were front focusing and needed a couple point adjustments.

So my question to this group is what do you think is your sharpest lens on the K-1 that makes you really appreciate the large files?

12-19-2016, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In all reality, none of those lenses are "lower end."

The 77 - not even going to dignify that with an explanation of not being low end.

The 28-105 - is it the DFA WR version? If yes, it's size and aperture could be consdered "low end" but it's fantastically sharp and an all around excellent optic. In good light I'd recommend it over the DFA 24-70 f/2.8 any day.

The 50 and 35 are based off FF versions that perform extremely well. The 50 is often considered one of the sharpest lenses in K mount, especially if you value DXO ratings. Sure both these lenses are not exactly Limited's in their quality of construction, but low end would not be for the optics.

You don't have a low end lens in your kit.

I personally have fallen in LOVE with the DA* 55 on my K-1. The DA* 60-250 in FF mode is also very promising (I still need to shave the baffle though).

-Heie
12-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should have clarified low cost relative to other lenses I have owned. I would call all low cost glass as all are well under $1K USD. I guess I am hesitant to invest in some of the higher end (cost) new FA lenses at this point.

Considering I paid $79 new for the 50mm I consider that low end
12-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree with Heie, optically there should be nothing wrong with your lenses and the K-1 detail, quite to the contrary. Pentax did for sure not randomly pick the D-FA 28-105mm (if that's what you mean) to demo pixel-shift. For sharpness and contrast, my most consistent lens is likely the D-FA 50mm macro.

WIth respect to AF, I observed a few lenses cannot be set to correctly focus from both directions, i.e. they stop at different points coming from close focus or infinity, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321880-autofocus-precision-variety-primes-af-s.html for details.

12-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Consider the fa 31. It is definitely the highest performer under 50mm in my kit. Sharpness is impressive.
12-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My 24-70 f2.8 is the sharpest I have ever used but I don't have any primes anyway

It's a big and heavy lens though... not for everybody. Makes the K1 quite bulky.
12-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

100mm WR Macro followed close by Zeiss 28/2 stopped down enough to get field curvature under control.

12-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Samyang 135/2.0
12-19-2016, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
I have been underwhelmed with the results. Not to say they are horrible but not the jump in wow factor I had expected for the MP size.
Sounds like you think it may be down to your lenses that your results are disappointing. All those extra megapickes can also magnify any deficiencies in your technique. Are you shooting hand held? Are you relying on phase detect auto focus? Using higher than base ISO?

To properly asses lens IQ: mount the camera on a tripod, use base ISO. careful live view focus, trigger with remote or self timer.
12-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro
I could not agree more. Having tried over 40 different lenses on my K1, if "sharpness" is your most important lens characteristic, this lens wins, especially in Pixel Shift Mode.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
100mm WR Macro followed close by Zeiss 28/2 stopped down enough to get field curvature under control.
I never stop down this lens to "get field curvature under control". It's what give this lens its' unique character and personality. If you want technical/clinical sharpness, I suggest that you get another wide angle lens.
12-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Sounds like you think it may be down to your lenses that your results are disappointing. All those extra megapickes can also magnify any deficiencies in your technique. Are you shooting hand held? Are you relying on phase detect auto focus? Using higher than base ISO?

To properly asses lens IQ: mount the camera on a tripod, use base ISO. careful live view focus, trigger with remote or self timer.
Thank you but I am well aware of those possible deficiencies and how to correct them. Its simply been my experience on other platforms like Canon for example that unless you get into a 'L' category lens the body typically out resolves the lens. What I've not been able to find is any empirical data with specific lenses on the K-1.

I think a few of you may be taking this that I am bashing the K-1. On the contrary I LOVE the body just haven't found the right lens yet that truly shows off what I believe it should be capable of.

And I may be a little spoiled in that I have previously owned the Canon 24-70 II, 100L and 70-200 II all of which are incredibly sharp.
12-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compared to the K-3 with DA 16-85, I was also initially underwhelmed by the seeming lack of sharpness of the K-1 with D-FA 28-105. Maybe it's lower micro-contrast due to the lower pixel density of the K-1. But when viewing images at 1:1, the K-1 images show much smoother lower-noise detail and cleaner straight lines than the K-3's. And the K-1 images are noticeably more amenable to recovery of shadow detail and sharpening without inducing halos.

The only lens I tried to compare (in a somewhat controlled way) to the D-FA 28-105 on the K-1 was the DA 40 Ltd. To my surprise, shooting under incandescent light, I couldn't see any significant difference in resolution or color.
12-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
. This weekend I went thru and did micro focus adjustments on all the lenses. Most were front focusing and needed a couple point adjustments.
Well, there's your reason.

You may need to adjust most of your lens purchases on that body from now on - the alignment inside is not quite right.

For out-and-out sharpness, I turn to the Sigma 35mm Art, D FA 50 Macro and Tamron 90mm Macro.

12-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The D FA* 70-200 is a revelation. But the DFA 28-105 and Tamron 90mm macro aren't far behind. In fact, the Sigma 35mm Art is very good too. In short, the K-1 is a camera that allows quality glass to shine.
12-19-2016, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
In all reality, none of those lenses are "lower end."

The 77 - not even going to dignify that with an explanation of not being low end.

The 28-105 - is it the DFA WR version? If yes, it's size and aperture could be consdered "low end" but it's fantastically sharp and an all around excellent optic. In good light I'd recommend it over the DFA 24-70 f/2.8 any day.

The 50 and 35 are based off FF versions that perform extremely well. The 50 is often considered one of the sharpest lenses in K mount, especially if you value DXO ratings. Sure both these lenses are not exactly Limited's in their quality of construction, but low end would not be for the optics.

You don't have a low end lens in your kit.

I personally have fallen in LOVE with the DA* 55 on my K-1. The DA* 60-250 in FF mode is also very promising (I still need to shave the baffle though).

-Heie
I very rarely disagre with you so here goes. What I have seen reported (I have no K-1 and no DA 50) is that some users are saying the corner performance on that lens is not up to the same level it had on APSC. I have seen some reports that users comparing this lens (f/1.8 DA) to the older F or F/A 1.4 or 1.7 are seeing better corner results on those lenses at the same f/stops (f/1.8 and smaller). It may be a simple matter of no QC for full frame corner performance has let some lemons through or it could mean that the edges are a little squishy on those compared to the older design despite similar optical designs.

The DA 35 I owned never seemed to underwhelm me but the FA 35 wowed me. I can't explain that given their lineqage is supposedly the same. Same optical formula doesn't mean the glass(plastic) is identical however. I tested mine on K-3 not K-1 also so I can only speak about APSC.

The FA 77 - well that's another story. That lens is superb but it is not simply sharpness that defines that lens.