Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amodali Quote
the sharpest (I have used) is the A 50 2.8 macro
+1 I'm in total agreement with you, images sharp enough to cut yourself on...

12-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sharpest lens on K-1

I think my D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro is absolutely the sharpest, but the Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 macro is very close. However, I have been very pleased with sharpness along with everything else using the FA 31mm f 1.8, per attached shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #48
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to consider, in my experience, the star lenses and the macros have a different kind of sharpness. For example, the *55 and *60-250 are sharp and resolve a lot of detail wile having a silky smooth character. The DA 35 ltd and the 100mm macro are equally sharp, resolve the same level of detail but have a more crisp and edgy style.

Let's see how the new primes in 2017 will be.
12-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the D-FA 100 Macro, but the D-FA* 70-200 constantly amazes me in almost every way, including sharpness. F5.6 is about where it shines if you're aiming for sharpness.

12-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Sigma 105/2.8 macro is my sharpest lens. Even in pixelshift, the lens doesn't seem to be the limiting factor...
12-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As for your DA 50 and DA 35 - they are NOT intended for use on Full Frame despite what everyone will say. They do not have lens correction profiles for full frame and despite covering the sensor they are not (as far as we know) tested on full frame for quality. It is possible that despite the optical similarity they just don't perform as well out past the central portion of the image. Mixed results have been posted with some users very happy and others not so happy about these plastic fantastic lenses. If the center of these is not sharp enough you may have some issues with technique, equipment, etc.
I have used the DA 35/2.4 on the K-1. It is sharp, even in the corners at full aperture. Not as sharp as the DFA 100 WR, but sharp.
The main issues I had with the DA 35/2.4 are caused by focusing errors. I think that the plastic contruction is responsible for it, because it is very difficult to determine a value to correct FF/BF, and this value seems to change when unmounting the lens and mounting it again. Therefore, when I want sharp pictures with no AF issues, I use the LiveView.
The DA 35/2.4 is also prone to flare, but that is a different issue.
12-23-2016, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Samyang 135/2.0
This lens puts all my other lenses to shame, It is VERY sharp across the entire frame (full frame) even when fully open. I'm a pixel peeper and I'm amazed.

12-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Samyang 135/2.0
This lens puts all my other lenses to shame, It is VERY sharp across the entire frame (full frame) even when fully open. I'm a pixel peeper and I'm amazed.
What are your other lenses?
12-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
The main issues I had with the DA 35/2.4 are caused by focusing errors. I think that the plastic contruction is responsible for it, because it is very difficult to determine a value to correct FF/BF, and this value seems to change when unmounting the lens and mounting it again. Therefore, when I want sharp pictures with no AF issues, I use the LiveView.
I don't think it's the plastic construction (of the mount). I think it is just geared way too fast for K-1's speedy drive. This likely causes to go towards/through the focus plane too fast for the phase detectors, causing inconsistent stops. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321880-autofocus-precision...imes-af-s.html for a comparison of some primes in that respect. I should redo this and update the thread - I have are some more lenses which I can include now, updated firmware and I should use a matte target.
12-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #55

Samyang 135/2.0
+1, AB unbeatable combo
12-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What are your other lenses?
The Samyang 24mm 1.4 is also impressive wide open but does improve somewhat by stopping down and out-resolves the K1 across the entire frame at 2.8. Thus also very impressive.

The 70 and 35mm limited (although APS-C only) are also sharp but only after stopping down, also my copies are not even across the frame. While pin sharp in center and on the left side, they lack something on the right side. Stopped down it does improve of course.
12-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Seems like more than one of us have nominated a 50mm macro lens.

Today I pulled out my three 50MM(ish) macro lenses (see photo) and tested each on my K1.

Used a tripod, 2-second timer, asa 100, f/5.6, and manually focused each on the word "filters" (under Formatt). No post processing was done and images were viewed at 100%.

The test subject I used is shown in the second photo.

The results of my little pixel peeping test is as follows:

#1 Vivitar Auto Macro 55mm f/2.8 (CLAed by forum member "DCShooter") - cooler color rendering, best micro-contrast of the three by a long way, ever so slightly sharper then the Pentax-A (#2 lens)
#2 Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro - neutral color rendering, good micro-contrast, second sharpest (close, but not quite as sharp as the Vivitar)
#3 Pentax DFA 50mm f/2.8 Macro - warmer color rendering, lowest micro-contrast, while an extremely sharp lens it was found to be the least sharp of the three lenses tested

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.
12-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
I currently also own a Fuji X-T2 system with some great Fuji glass including the 90mm lens that always gives me that WOW factor I am after. I have previously owned a Sigma DP2 Merrill and simply looking for that level of detail/sharpness under the right conditions.
I suspect that your definition of sharpness is not just about resolution, which the K-1 and any decent lens has in spades. You are looking for punchier photos. Your other systems have heavy processing straight out of the camera, with boosted saturation, contrast and sharpness. Pentax doesn't roll that way, the images are more subtle. You need to punch them up to your taste in post. The "punch" preset in Lightroom is a good start (boosts clarity and vibrance). A little boost in Contrast and Saturation are nice for landscapes.
12-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #59
Pentaxian

The Samyang 24mm 1.4 is also impressive wide open but does improve somewhat by stopping down and out-resolves the K1 across the entire frame at 2.8. Thus also very impressive.

The 70 and 35mm limited (although APS-C only) are also sharp but only after stopping down, also my copies are not even across the frame. While pin sharp in center and on the left side, they lack something on the right side. Stopped down it does improve of course.
Every lens I own out revolves the K-1, in fact none of even them even out-resolve the K-3.

I recently posted a series of lens charts on 1.4 lenses, which showed that no 1.4 lens is as sharp as my macro lenses, especially corner to corner. But I've never seen charts on the Samyangs.

Anyone who has been through the lens charts at Photozone or a similar site will tell you, there are very few sub ƒ4 lenses that perform well wide open.

Nikon AF D 50mm 1.4

Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 USM L

On APS_c
Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f/1.4

Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM

People don't apparently buy these lenses for wide open performance, regardless of brand, even if some folks would like to believe they do. People who want sharp edge edge wide open, buy a macro; Like anything, you have to know how to get what you want, and not assume that you can get everything in every lens. Ranting about what lens manufacturers "should" offer doesn't add anything to the conversation. At some point you have to deal with reality.

Notice, not one of 1.4 type lenses matches the 50 macro at ƒ2.8. The macro is excellent, centre and edge. SO, if you are looking for corner to corner sharpness at a wide aperture, that's the way to go.

Notice no one's 1.4 lenses are terribly sharp wide open. So are you saying the Samyang lenses somehow break that trend. I'm going to need some convincing.

Sayang 1.4. look pretty average for a 1.4 to me. No where did it test excellent on the edges. It does look really good ƒ4 to ƒ8.

Last edited by normhead; 12-25-2016 at 10:33 AM.
12-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Here is test picture I took a while ago with the Samyang 135mm wide open. Personally I've never seen anything like it wide open, but then of course I haven't seen everything.
The jpg is 4.5Mb so can't be uploaded here, but follow this link.
https://filebin.net/jomvweuyn4gmdr3r
Again, it's a jpg so not perfect, also I might have sharpen it slightly? I don't remember right now. But IMO this is really good wide open.