Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K1 Redemption

Hi guys.
Finaly the CSTV youtube channel has concluded decently.

it seems like a rendition to Pentax

best regards

Last edited by luismpg; 12-20-2016 at 03:37 AM. Reason: error on title
12-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting about the 15-30 being on the worst list because of value per $.
12-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It belongs there. I have doubts the WR is the exact same as in the Tamron version (Drip Proof construction) and on the other hand there is nothing wrong with original Tamron coatings. I had the Nikon version of the lens and cannot find anything which is better in Pentax variant. And the price is double of Tamron version in our country...

Right price for Pentax 15-30 is at maximum 15$ higher than the Tamron standard version.
12-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It belongs there. I have doubts the WR is the exact same as in the Tamron version (Drip Proof construction) and on the other hand there is nothing wrong with original Tamron coatings. I had the Nikon version of the lens and cannot find anything which is better in Pentax variant. And the price is double of Tamron version in our country...

Right price for Pentax 15-30 is at maximum 15$ higher than the Tamron standard version.
The issue is that the Tamron version isn't available. If this is a lens you need then you have to buy the Pentax version. If you don't then you can get by with the Irix or something else.

I think 100 to 200 more is probably reasonable mark up for Pentax.

12-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ya, but on the other hand, if Pentax versions of 24-70 and 15-30 where priced like Tamron versions K-1 package would gain tremendous value in some countries compared to what it is now. It would really slap Nikon offerings with a large trout. And 24-70 imperfections in edge sharpness would be easier to tolerate.
12-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ya, but on the other hand, if Pentax versions of 24-70 and 15-30 where priced like Tamron versions K-1 package would gain tremendous value in some countries compared to what it is now. It would really slap Nikon offerings with a large trout. And 24-70 imperfections in edge sharpness would be easier to tolerate.
MJK, these f2.8 lenses - in all camera brands - are for pros and pro-wannabes who are after the specs, and are priced accordingly.

Look at Sony!

Either you want one or not.

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2016 at 10:20 AM.
12-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sure, but have a look what Tamron versions cost. They are f/2.8 already. And have very same IQ. On what basis Pentax logo should up their prices like 100%? Sony 24-70 GM is in totally different ballpark considering IQ it gives (putting many modern primes to shame).

12-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could Pentax have the same business strategy as some of the manufacturers/vendors of ink jet printers?

You can sometimes purchase ink jet printers at insanely low prices. However, the proprietary ink that you need for these inexpensive printers is crazy expensive.

Pentax is selling cameras cheap (even at $2,000 I consider the K1 a real bargain) and making their money on the new lenses.

Wait til you see the prices on the new full frame premium primes Pentax is scheduled to release in the next few years - and you thought the FA Limiteds were expensive!
12-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not in the market for the D-FA15-30, even though I would like something in the lower end of that range to complement my FA20/2.8. While I understand that there are costs in doing even the simple changes that exist between the Tamron and Pentax versions of this lens, and that the comparatively small numbers of the K-mount version mean that there will be diseconomies of scale, a markup of 100% is a bit hard to stomach.

In spite of that, I've seen the output from this lens on a K-1, and there's no doubt it is good. If I was using the K-1 to make a living, I probably wouldn't think too hard about buying it. Hopefully, as Ricoh recoups whatever their initial investment was, the price of the 15-30 will come down.
12-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes it is good for what it does. I have had it for 3.5 months now. Still have a bit hard time to understand the price.
12-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it is good for what it does. I have had it for 3.5 months now. Still have a bit hard time to understand the price.
That's because you don't understand marketing.

Tamron and Sigma must undercut the first party offerings of Canon and Nikon to survive.

In this case, the Tamron *is* the first party offering.

You have a 'blind spot' as they say, about this pricing issue, MJK.
12-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I do understand enough of it. Pentax is trying to pull of what Leica does. With not much success. It has sold maybe few dozen units here locally.

Again, I have found out exactly zero qualities to make it worth it compared to 50% cheaper Tamron unit. They only ruined the lens by ripping off the VC unit as it works lot better than IBIS when I need such function - OVF shooting without tripod.
12-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do understand enough of it. Pentax is trying to pull of what Leica does. With not much success. It has sold maybe few dozen units here locally.

Again, I have found out exactly zero qualities to make it worth it compared to 50% cheaper Tamron unit. They only ruined the lens by ripping off the VC unit as it works lot better than IBIS when I need such function - OVF shooting without tripod.
I understand that it is pretty expensive in your country. B and H photo shows Tamron 15-30 f2.8 selling for 1200 USD and Pentax 15-30 selling for 1450 USD. I do think 250 dollar mark up is a little on the steep side, but if you want an f2.8 zoom in this focal length, want to shoot with a K-1, then Pentax has you over a barrel. Tamron hasn't made new lenses in k mount for quite awhile. Some of that may be because of Pentax having a contract with them, but I think a lot bigger reason is just that Pentax has such a small percentage of the market that Tamron doesn't view it as worthwhile to make their lenses in the k mount.

On the other hand, if they sell them directly to Pentax then it is Pentax that takes any risk involved if lens sales are poor.

I find IBIS to be more than adequate in this focal length -- the only place where I like having in lens stabilization is with really long lenses. As it is, I can hand hold about 1/4 second, sometimes 1/2 second with sharp results and it is unlikely I am going to get much better than that even if the VC was active in it.
12-21-2016, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I do understand enough of it. .
You say that, MJK, but the rest of your post indicates you don't, IMHO.
12-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

No, the Pentax version should be cheaper as it is lacking the OS mechanism of the Tamron.

In what world does one pay more to get less?

This is not to say that IBIS is worse than OS, I don't believe that for a second, but part of the beauty of IBIS is that it allows simpler lenses.

I understand the "economy of scale" argument but the same argument applies to cameras and Pentax manages to produce bargain offers here. It may actually be a "mixed calculation" model where cameras are sold at super attractive prices to reap in the money on the lenses.

Here is to hoping that the initial pricing for the 2.8 zooms is not going to last forever (I understand it already moved a bit) and that Pentax will be able and willing to support more attractive lens prices in the future.

Last edited by Class A; 12-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.