Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just about at my wits end with remote O-RC1

Hi: Been trying now for 4 days to figure out how to click the shutter with the O-RC1. I can use the shutter button fine and everything works great.
Unfortunately, the remote is about as useful as a screen door in a submarine. The manual says "put camera in standby mode...yeah ...and push button on the remote...yeah..and then ....my words> cuss up a storm when the camera looks at you like you're a idiot and does nothing.

Please help this idiot

12-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just curious, Is the camera sat to "Remote control" ?
12-20-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm too embarrassed to answer your post. Geez, I was reading the manual that came with the O-RC1.
Actually, I was posting this for a friend. I'll tell him how to do it. ....yeah, right.
Thank you so much! Boy, much to learn.
12-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HP 56948 Quote
I'm too embarrassed to answer your post. Geez, I was reading the manual that came with the O-RC1.
Actually, I was posting this for a friend. I'll tell him how to do it. ....yeah, right.
not thing to be embarrassed. there are so many setting in a camera.every once in a while, we all forget to check a few simple thing and wonder why it doesn't work the way it should.

12-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ran into an issue with my K-70 when using a new (generic) cable remote where it would take shots but not auto-focus. I finally tracked down the issue to the fact that I had changed the settings to back-button auto-focusing. Once I switched back to the default half-shutter press everything was fine.

Might be something to check on the K-1 too if it doesn't auto-focus.
12-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HP 56948 Quote
Oh I'm the friend. Haha.

I had the same issue when I got my remote.
12-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Now you get the joy of punching at the remote and having it still do nothing.
The new O-RC1 is far better then the one made 10+ years ago, but I still find it fails to trigger far too often. (indoors, straight line of sight, 8 feet away)
12-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Okay, now I've got my K2000 responding to the cheap-ass third-party remote that cost me a whopping 98 cents (including shipping) all the way from China. Now that I know what to do, I believe it should also work with my other cameras as well. I thought I'd gotten ripped off but had decided to eat the loss since it doubtless would have cost me more than 98 cents to send it back for a refund. Glad to know there wasn't a loss to be eaten. Thanks!

12-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The new O-RC1
Can I use this on a K3?
12-21-2016, 01:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Okay, now I've got my K2000 responding to the cheap-ass third-party remote that cost me a whopping 98 cents (including shipping) all the way from China.
If you have an old TV remote then one of the buttons will also work. The only problem is they're huge but you won't lose them and the batteries last much longer.
12-21-2016, 04:26 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
If you have an old TV remote then one of the buttons will also work. The only problem is they're huge but you won't lose them and the batteries last much longer.
On Sony remotes for tv, dvd, audio,... ENTER or CONFIRM buttons (depending on remote type) activates Pentax camera shutter.
Off course remote controller usage must be previously activated in a camera
12-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Can I use this on a K3?
Yes.

I use my Samsung phone with an app. It is handy, I always have it with me. Works very well.
12-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife complains that she keeps pressing my buttons and nothing happens..... maybe I have a hidden setting as well?

(mmm... I do respond to the TV remote.....)
07-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #14

I have a k70. so, uh. What do the Fn and tree buttons do?