Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Electronic First Curtain... when not to use

I discovered this weekend that fluorescent lighting is not friendly to ECFS on the K-1. This is due to the imperceptible flickering of fluorescent lights and the non-uniform activation of different parts of the sensor while using ECFS... you end up with fairly striking bands. This does not occur if using the optical viewfinder, or if using live view with ECFS disabled.



12-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
I recall reading a warning about fluorescent lighting and EFCS in the firmware addendum to the manual...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/K-1_Ver.1.30_Deta...d_features.pdf

*The flicker of fluorescent lamp or heavy movement of the subject may cause
the corrupt image.
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,756
Good point. According to what I've read about the A7RII sensor, for instance, EFCS mode does scan (sequential) of the sensor from top to bottom and it is significantly slower than its mechanical shutter (different parts of the image aren't captured at the same time. That means EFCS is really for use with subjects and lighting suitable for slow shutter speeds, i.e static subjects and constant lighting intensity.
12-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 31
You can get weird distortion effects when panning and using EFCS.

12-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,441
You also cannot use flash in Live View with EFCS enabled. I spent a night photographing an event and couldn't figure out why flash never worked in Live View.
Wasn't until the ride home afterwards that I remembered I was testing EFCS a few days earlier, apparently left it on, and that the docs say that was a side effect.
12-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,699
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good point. According to what I've read about the A7RII sensor, for instance, EFCS mode does scan (sequential) of the sensor from top to bottom and it is significantly slower than its mechanical shutter (different parts of the image aren't captured at the same time. That means EFCS is really for use with subjects and lighting suitable for slow shutter speeds, i.e static subjects and constant lighting intensity.
Yep. Not recommended for handheld use, either.
12-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxiste
Loyal Site Supporter
DimC's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 426
Well, that's funny I was about to post something about the first picture below.
1/125s, f2,8, ISO3200

Shot with EFCS enabled, there is a strong banding (it was ok until ISO800).
I tried ISO100 and there is no banding or artefacts, as far as I see, in the image.

Is this the same problem that you guys are talking about the EFCS under Fluorescent lights ?

At least I hope it's not my sensor having some kind of defaults.
Second image is ISO100, f4 instead of f2,8 and 0,5sec.

****

Well by re reading your post I think the issue is with the shutter speed, not ISO (even if it's related in my pictures).
The second image taken at 0,5sec, the EFCS had time to run the sensor.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by DimC; 12-21-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: better understanding of the issue
12-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,441
Are the lights in the background LED, or perhaps using LED for lighting? (if not using fluorescent lights)
I would suspect the same can occur with LED lights. Especially cheap ones like Christmas lights -- they flash quickly.
Shoot even with normal shutter over 1/1000s and you may see some of the lights appear dark.
More expensive lights, like those for photography do not flash.

12-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,359
Remember, EFCS doesn't work with SR either.

There are lots of caveats to electronic shutters, so a camera that doesn't have a mechanical shutter (like many P&S) is undesirable, IMHO.

12-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember, EFCS doesn't work with SR either....
Do you know whether SR is disabled when EFCS is active?
12-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Do you know whether SR is disabled when EFCS is active?
*The Shake Reduction function is fixed to OFF.

Again, according to the addendum to the manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/K-1_Ver.1.30_Deta...d_features.pdf
12-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 230
up to 1/100s EFCS is OK even in fluorescent lighting
12-22-2016, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,359
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Do you know whether SR is disabled when EFCS is active?
Yep, we don't get a choice in the matter, JC!

12-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #14
Pentaxiste
Loyal Site Supporter
DimC's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 426
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Are the lights in the background LED, or perhaps using LED for lighting? (if not using fluorescent lights)
I would suspect the same can occur with LED lights. Especially cheap ones like Christmas lights -- they flash quickly.
Shoot even with normal shutter over 1/1000s and you may see some of the lights appear dark.
More expensive lights, like those for photography do not flash.
I shot this one in my studio with Lastolite regular flash strobes, but at the same time I'm using the cheap LED Christmas lights you see in the background.
Camera was on a tripod with 2 seconds delay and EFCS on as a testing purpose.
Īve shot same scene with EFCS off and it was good, no funky behavior 😀.

Īve shot a few landscapes with EFCS on and didn't notice any issue, nor did I notice any improvement to be honest.
12-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,441
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I shot this one in my studio with Lastolite regular flash strobes, but at the same time I'm using the cheap LED Christmas lights you see in the background.
Camera was on a tripod with 2 seconds delay and EFCS on as a testing purpose.
Īve shot same scene with EFCS off and it was good, no funky behavior 😀.

Īve shot a few landscapes with EFCS on and didn't notice any issue, nor did I notice any improvement to be honest.
I thought they might be but difficult to tell. :-)
It would be interesting to try the same scene, but with the LEDs turned off, and see if that has any positive effect on the color banding.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronic First Curtain? butangmucat Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 12-20-2016 04:52 PM
EFCS: electronic front curtain shutter biz-engineer Pentax K-1 11 09-21-2016 04:48 AM
When NOT to use SR? Sperdynamite Pentax K-5 22 11-13-2011 07:33 AM
[K7]When absolutly NOT to use Image Stabilization? Ivo_Spohr Pentax DSLR Discussion 27 09-10-2010 12:49 AM
when to or not to use a lens hood?? eclipsed450 Photographic Technique 31 01-12-2009 06:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top