Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2016, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Universal Bracket for the K-1: Success!

Since I couldn't find very good information on this forum regarding a universal L-bracket for the K-1, I thought I'd go ahead and create a post showing my solution. While an L-bracket can be a very handy accessory, I don't use one enough to justify the relatively high cost of a custom fit model. I researched a number of universal L-brackets after carefully measuring the relevant dimensions of the K-1. Fortunately it's not hard to find the measurements for most universal L-brackets. The best candidates appeared to be from Sunwayfoto and 3 Legged Thing. I had previously found a good solution for my K-3 with a Sunwayfoto model (described in a previous post), but the K-1 requires a significantly bigger bracket with no ridge on the mounting surface. After comparing product specs to the K-1 dimensions, I selected the 3 Legged Thing QR10-L. I'm quite pleased with this product. I think the fit is excellent for a universal product. You do lose access to the HDMI jack cover with this product, but I very rarely use this cover so that is inconsequential to me. You have to loosen the bracket to swap the battery, but I don't expect that to bother me. The plate comes with a cloth storage bag, an extra tripod screw and a multi-tool that is used to tighten the tripod screw. It appears that the two sides of the bracket can be separated, but not with the multi-tool as it does not fit. The base of the bracket only has one slide-stopper and the other side has no slide-stoppers so that could be a shortcoming. I'll have to be careful when inserting and removing the bracket from my ball head. The color may not be everyone's top choice but it doesn't bother me. BTW I have no connection or affiliation with this company or product.

12-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would appear that this bracket when installed partially covers the battery compartment's door. Over time, you may find it very annoying having to remove the bracket every time you want to change the battery.

I had a similar situation with another bracket on my K1. I took the bracket to a friend who sharpens knives for a living. He had the equipment to grind off about .25 inches off of the end of the bracket. I now leave this slightly modified bracket on my K1 all the time as it no longer interfears with the battery door.
12-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fenwoodian I think that solution would work. However, the loop for a strap is on that side of the bracket so I'd lose that option. I'll have to see how annoying it is to loosen the bracket to change the battery versus losing the strap option.
12-26-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Another option might be to use a piece (or pieces depending on thickness) of neoprene on the vertical leg to space it out from the camera body. That way you could open the battery door AND keep your strap loop.

Neoprene can be found very cheaply at dollar stores in the form of pencil cases, iPad/tablet cases etc. Just de-construct it (i.e. cut it open), cut to size and affix with strong, double-sided, carpet tape. Neither neoprene or it's usual cloth covering frays so you don't even have to worry about sewing it.

12-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Or simply slide the whole bracket to the right (when looking at the bottom of the camera) far enough that the strap insert clears the battery compartment door.

Sure, that means that when in the portrait mode the bracket will be a bit further from the camera, but I suspect this bracket is rigid enough to still provide adequate support even when not right up against the camera body.
12-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I had previously found a good solution for my K-3 with a Sunwayfoto model (described in a previous post)
Is this the post?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242751-k-3-l-plates-k3-wit...ml#post3726044

Steve
12-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
stevebrot Yes, that's the post showing the slightly modified universal L-bracket for the K-3.

12-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Or simply slide the whole bracket to the right (when looking at the bottom of the camera) far enough that the strap insert clears the battery compartment door.

Sure, that means that when in the portrait mode the bracket will be a bit further from the camera, but I suspect this bracket is rigid enough to still provide adequate support even when not right up against the camera body.
Ah but, by using the neoprene, if the OP ever took the bracket off for some reason then he could replace it in exactly the same position without having to worry about the clearance for the door as it would be automatically built in.
12-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I space my L plate to accommodate accessing the battery door.
12-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't think having to remove the grip to remove the battery is an issue.

have a battery grip on both my K10D and K5. Every time I need to charge the battery, off comes the battery grip, so I can access the battery in the camera body. It's no big deal, just part of the process. I slip the fully charged battery in the grip, into the body and when the discharged battery is fully charged, I install it into the grip.
11-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I don't use one enough to justify the relatively high cost of a custom fit model.
The K-1 specific L-Bracket Genesis PLL-K1 has a price of $66.49 (so only 16 bucks more than the 3 Legged Thing QR11 L Bracket), which is kind of cheap for an individual l-bracket and especially including shiping from poland:
Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip

Here are some pictures from a satisfied german Pentax user:
L-Winkel für Pentax K-1 von Kirk und RRS ? Pentaxians
11-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The K-1 specific L-Bracket Genesis PLL-K1 has a price of $66.49
Unfortunately, that model did not show up in the searching I did prior to purchasing my L-bracket. The custom brackets that I found were all like $100-$150 at the time.
11-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The K-1 specific L-Bracket Genesis PLL-K1 has a price of $66.49 (so only 16 bucks more than the 3 Legged Thing QR11 L Bracket), which is kind of cheap for an individual l-bracket and especially including shiping from poland:
Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip

Here are some pictures from a satisfied german Pentax user:
L-Winkel für Pentax K-1 von Kirk und RRS ? Pentaxians
That Genesis L-Bracket looks suspiciously like the Really Right Stuff one. So much so that I think it might be a knockoff. And if you're going to buy a knockoff you should read this first Why Camera Gear Costs What It Costs (coincidently, the link also has to do with the 3 legged thing l-bracket)
11-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I understand your point, but when it comes to pricing there are always exceptions (possible in booth directions).
Some companies have the possibility to stick with low profit per piese, others go the way with high profit (like Hasselblad, Apple...).
At some point laws should regulate intellectual property.

Regarding the difference between Genesis and RRS plates, there are some (small).
Maybe someone wants to compare booth plates?

Last edited by angerdan; 11-12-2017 at 05:26 AM.
11-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I click on links to Genesis in either of the two prior posts McAfee throws a fit and says it is a dangerous site. McAffee is often overly cautious but I wonder what they are upset about on this site. Anyone know?