Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed is back, about the K1

Just watching the latest vlog from Ed photo universe.

Comment extract from the vlog:

"there's two kind of cool:
- capabilities
- it's cool because I like it, i like the retro style"

Well, in recent years, I never understood why nearly no camera company is able to design a 2K+ or 3K+ camera with fully stylish body design, relative to electronic and software design of the high tech guts of those recent cameras, the design and manufacturing of camera body is very cheap. I'm surprised that Pentax did not use camera body styling to differentiate from Canon and Nikon no taste DSLR design. I mean, Canon and Nikon camera designs have nothing stylish, looks like those bodies are designed by geeks, they are like plastic molded from cheap material from previous digital camera models with the same style of the early DSLR age from the 1990s. When I buy a 2K+ camera to go with small metal primes, I'd expect a camera body style that goes with it, I give away $200 more to Ricoh to make this camera outer shell. Why do all DSRL are designs from the 1990?

12-27-2016, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think function dictates some of the style.
12-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think function dictates some of the style.
Absolutely what he said. And with something that is supposed to be a tool, form "Needs" to follow function.
12-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't find the K-1 to be that pleasing to the eye. To me it's the Unicorn Pentax/Conehead Pentax/Pope Hat Pentax. I'm waiting for someone to say, "Hey watch out. You'll poke an eye out with that thing!"

12-27-2016, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Anything worth mentioning in that video?

I sort of like the K-1's utilitarian design; it's not the prettiest and it does look a bit bulky, but unlike certain brands, at least it has a shape. And that makes it easier to recognize.
12-27-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously its a design that polarises opinion to a degree but I'm in the camp of liking the look of the K-1. To me It looks kind of businesslike and purposeful while retaining echoes of the past.

To me it certainly looks a lot nicer than say a Nikon 810 which looks kind of soft and over rounded. But then for me the 1D is the ultimate in uglyness: Compare camera dimensions side by side

I recognise that In the end its all subjective though.
12-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That review was typical of the "Ed-style" vlog, but refreshingly unpolished, if a little rambling. I loved his closing-credits comments on on-line forums, though.

Having both the K-1 and the K-3 (among many others) I can't argue with much of what he says about size and capability. The K-1's bulk (and it is bulky, next to an LX, for example) is deceptive, though. Right now, I've got an FA*28-70 mounted on it, and that combination looks large, even if it also looks purposeful. The other day, I was shooting with the FA31, and it looked much less so. Obviously, those two lenses are poles apart in size (and weight), but when mounted on the K-1, they bring a different appearance to the body, as well as the assembly, if you see what I mean. The closest analogy I can bring to mind is how each of us looks in different clothes (women may appreciate that analogy, more than most men). Maybe Ed's rubbing off on me.

His remarks about need are spot-on, though, if a bit long-winded. The K-1 won't allow me to do more than the K-3, other than print larger with more detail, but it will generally do things better in the process of taking photographs, not so much because of the sensor size but because significant parts of the technology and design are better than the K-3. I expect the successor to the K-3 to match that in APS-C, so the K-1's successor had better be good, in its turn, too.
12-27-2016, 06:17 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
His remarks about need are spot-on, though, if a bit long-winded.
If you look under the word "long-winded" in the dictionary Ed's name appears like 5 times.

12-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ed's central message is clear and correct. I am hard pressed to find much difference between K-3 and K-1 images. But, some of the old glass is still quite good and I am pleased that the FF sensor lets me take full advantage of those. I also like his comment about the 6MP shooter winning the Pulitzer. Camera's are just our tools to make of what we will. I've been using cameras for 50 years now and I still try to learn something new or visualize something in a new way every time I go out.
12-27-2016, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #10

Read about the design philosophy behind the K-1

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
12-27-2016, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K-3, K-1, and the Sony A7II. I really like the Fuji X-mount for its small, high quality lenses and retro style. I have tried multiple Fuji bodies and I have friends who love them and keep trying to talk me into picking up a Fuji body. The bodies are too small for my hands and as much as I like the looks and controls its just not worth having hand cramps after shooting a long day. I might pick up the GFX when it comes out. Fuji will finally have a body the size that I like. I really want to like Fuji, but I can't justify buying into the system at this point. I keep saying I'm going to sell the Sony A7II, but I love the Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 lens on it. That has become my casual camera. If Sony ever makes an A9 with the K-1 build quality and features I will consider using Sony for paying work instead of just keeping it as a back-up body in the bag.

Ed kind of rambles on and I usually skip though his videos to see if ever gets to a point. Then at the end I find myself asking if he ever had a point. I really get tired of the APS-C vs. FF debates. Pentax now offers both, so just shoot what you like and stop worrying about it.

Last edited by Winder; 12-28-2016 at 01:10 PM.
12-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am suspicious of people who constantly wipe imaginary crumbs off the table

The remarks about "need" are valid and in my view goes for everything you buy. I am sure any of us already know this, so what is the point harping on a bout it.

And then, why take it out on Pentax, does it not apply to his beloved NYCAHN also ?

Cheers
12-27-2016, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have always thought the K-1 was referring back to the classic look of the Pentax 67.

12-27-2016, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't care whether my K-1 is unique, original, retro, or whatever, in design. I did not buy it as a paperweight to sit on my desk and be admired. The ergonomics of the K-1 are for me about as perfect as it gets. The dynamic range is better than any Pentax I have owned to date.
12-27-2016, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Whats worn by the substance becomes style."