Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Question: K-1 - What White Balance to use with Strobes?

I'm coming from a K-50 that had a "Flash" White Balance mode that the K-1 seems to be lacking. Is there a "Flash" white balance mode hiding somewhere or a way to approximate it? I'm actually in a workshop right now and with the settings from the light meter (confirmed with multiple meters) the images are coming out way over exposed. Thoughts?

12-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CoreyC Quote
I'm coming from a K-50 that had a "Flash" White Balance mode that the K-1 seems to be lacking. Is there a "Flash" white balance mode hiding somewhere or a way to approximate it? I'm actually in a workshop right now and with the settings from the light meter (confirmed with multiple meters) the images are coming out way over exposed. Thoughts?
Smaller battery powered flash units typically see the color shift as you lower power. 5600K is what I use in studio, but if you are shooting RAW it doesn't matter. Over exposure though is a different issue. The over exposure has nothing to do with the White Balance setting. Either your ISO is too high or your aperture is to large assuming you are shooting a 1/200.
12-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the manual, when using flash lights, set white balance to AWB.
12-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nearly every flash is designed to replicate 'Daylight'. You can of course argue about the exact Kelvin of that.

12-29-2016, 01:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nearly every flash is designed to replicate 'Daylight'. You can of course argue about the exact Kelvin of that
Correct, "Daylight" Is considered to replicate equatorial sunlight at noon: 5000K. However due to the power level used, kind of gasses and the pressures they are under flash tubes can deviate, sometimes by a considerable amount from this standard.

On most cameras setting AWB for flash typically fixes the WBV @ 5000K
12-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks everyone. I searched the pdf version of the manual before praying but couldn't find where it said to use AWB. For the workshop I ended up using multi-AWB which seemed to be ok but still not as true as I remember my K50 with the white balance set to Flash being. Time to test i guess. Thanks again everyone.
12-29-2016, 02:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Are you shooting in JPG?