Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #1

New K-1 Won't take pictures

OK, I know I am doing something dumb, but when I turned my 4-day old K-1 on this morning, the F-stop indicator was flashing on and off (upper rh side of status screen), and the camera shutter does not activate. Help! It's almost sunrise! A couple other settings changed too, without my input - it is set to MF and single-spot metering.

12-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try a factory reset?
12-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try to take your lens off and put it back on again. It sounds like there's a loose connection. If needed, also clean the lens mount.

If your lens has an aperture ring, make sure it's set to "A".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
I did that and it fixed it. Thanks very much. Seems odd though - brand new camera and lens (Tamron 28-75 2.8)

12-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try cleaning lens contacts. This just looks like a bad connection. Maybe some grease got on it.
12-30-2016, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have had similar "happenings" a few times and it was always caused by pushing some wrong button or combination of buttons by accident. Damn I hate it when it happens....it sends me into "Panic Mode". Old guys don't do good in panic mode...your blood pressure rises, you break out in a cold sweat, your face gets real red, and then that foul language starts to flow...which brings out Mrs Rupert and things go from bad to worse. Squirrels gather outside my windows and laugh while placing bets on when I will kill over dead......it is just a plain ugly experience all around.

Fortunately, I have learned to be more careful when handling my K1......I don't want to be holding it in my angry trembling hands when I kill over.....that kind of damage is not covered by warranty.

Regards & Glad you are up and running again!
12-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parkfreeon6th Quote
I did that and it fixed it. Thanks very much. Seems odd though - brand new camera and lens (Tamron 28-75 2.8)
Which "That" did the trick?

12-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most likely the lens did not click into place. There should be an audible click when you put it on.