Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

My K1 flashes aperture, speed and ISO settings - any K1 users confirm please?

Does my K1 have a fault or is this "normal" behavior - would some kind K1 user try this for me...

1) turn off the camera, remove lens, and replace it with the body cap
2) turn on the camera and set to any setting that engages the exposure meter - I think Bulb is the only exception - all other modes use the EM
3) place finger or thumb over the optical viewfinder port at the rear

Does the LCD flash the aperture, speed and ISO settings and does this stop when removing your thumb or the body cap?

(this behavior happens with a lens fitted and blocked off by lens cap or hand too).

My K1 does this - it was first noticed after upgrading to 1.27 and using the camera for night photography (where both lens and optical viewfinder ports have low ambient light).

Ricoh have suggested I return the camera to them for "checking" - but its the height of the camera season here and the camera performs normally otherwise.

Many thanks ... PJ

01-01-2017, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashing aperture/shutter/ISO on the display indicates that available light is outside the linear range for the meter* and/or appropriate exposure is not possible for the current settings. This is normal behavior for Pentax dSLRs.

Steve

* The meter linear range is -3 to +20 EV100 (e.g. 60s @ f/2.8 and ISO 100 on the low end...about the same as landscape lit by a full moon).
01-01-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wanted to add that its also normal for light to enter viewfinder and influence the meter in this way. Which is why a cap always used to supplied to cover the viewfinder when taking low light shots (personally I don't use one as the effect is usually minor or easy to adjust for).
01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you so much ... your replies have saved me the bother of sending my K1 in for servicing (which would have achieved little). This should have been explained to me by Ricoh at the time of my formal inquiry to them.

This is a very heavy handed annunciation method (flashing the three exposure settings) on a camera that has so many excellent low light features. For all night or low light photography, to have all three displays flashing continuously for an issue there is no control over (exposure meter operating in its non-linear mode) is unnecessary - a simple menu setting to disable or mute this would be useful.

Thank you again ..

PJ

01-02-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjaynz Quote
This should have been explained to me by Ricoh at the time of my formal inquiry to them.
Agreed...poor training of the CS staff and/or poor flow sheets.

QuoteOriginally posted by pjaynz Quote
This is a very heavy handed method (flashing the three exposure settings) on a camera that has so many excellent low light features. For all night or low light photography, to have all three displays flashing continuously for an issue there is no control over (exposure meter operating in its non-linear mode) is unnecessary - a simple menu setting to disable or mute this would be useful.
I disagree. What the camera is telling you is that accurate metering and exposure automation is not possible. You can still depress the shutter and take a photo. I field a lot of troubleshooting requests on this site and one of the first questions I often ask for "bad exposure" problems is whether the display was blinking. That being said, a little finer granulation might be helpful.* After all, 45s @ f/2.8 and ISO 100 is within the meter's linear range for f/2.8 in Av mode, but outside the range of available shutter speeds. The blinking display does not provide a hint that opening up to f/2 or bumping the ISO to 200 will resolve the issue.

Steve

* Also helpful would be a "blinking display" entry in the troubleshooting section of the manual In fact, any mention of the blinking display in the manual would be helpful

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
01-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed...poor training of the CS staff and/or poor flow sheets.

I disagree. What the camera is telling you is that accurate metering and exposure automation is not possible. You can still depress the shutter and take a photo. I field a lot of troubleshooting requests on this site and one of the first questions I often ask for "bad exposure" problems is whether the display was blinking. That being said, a little finer granulation might be helpful.* After all, 45s @ f/2.8 and ISO 100 is within the meter's linear range for f/2.8 in Av mode, but outside the range of available shutter speeds. The blinking display does not provide a hint that opening up to f/2 or bumping the ISO to 200 will resolve the issue.

Steve

* Also helpful would be a "blinking display" entry in the troubleshooting section of the manual In fact, any mention of the blinking display in the manual would be helpful
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
but outside the range of available shutter speeds. The blinking display does not provide a hint that opening up to f/2 or bumping the ISO to 200 will resolve the issue.
Thanks again Steve - your reply implies that when correct exposure is achieved the blinking will stop? When the ambient light levels are outside the metering linearity the blinking on my K1 is continuous - I have max'd out the iso, aperture and speed settings to grossly overexpose the picture and my K1 blinked throughout (with the exposure meter showing grossly overexposed too).

My solution is to turn off the LCD display and use the viewfinder and top annuciators only - my night photography is always manually set and a fair degree of T & E!

Thanks - Paul
01-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm slightly wondering why you should have done that, and why you should be worried if the camera performs normally when used normally ?
01-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm slightly wondering why you should have done that, and why you should be worried if the camera performs normally when used normally ?
To have a fairly large chunk of LCD real estate flashing once a second throughout say, a 4 hour night shoot, is distracting and ultimately (for me) irritating. My Sony A6000 advises exposure out of range too, but much more discretely by flashing the EV limits in red. Ricoh should a) update their manual to advise what the flashing is about and b) mute it down - say change the color of the relevant settings - or flash the display a few times and then stop.

The K1 is designed for night shooting so operating in dark conditions is "normal" and it is being used normally.

I was only "worried" that the camera was faulty - which seemed to be confirmed by the response from Ricoh - but the good folks here in the forum advised otherwise - awesome "service" - BTW - I'm keeping the K1 !

Ciao - PJ