Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF infinity focus with DA70mm limited on K1

I have a nice shiny new K1 and am loving it - fast, intuitive (coming from a K5), buttons good, lots of useful options.

However, I've noticed an odd behavior with the DA70mm limited (both in FF and Crop mode) - for normal focus within a few metres its fine (using either 33 or 9 point focus). But at infinity or near infinity it won't lock on. Plays up with spot focus too at infinity.

It works ok with my FF lenses (FA50mm f1.4, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8, ) ok. Seems ok with my DA15mm limited

Does anyone else have this experience?

01-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked for and applied AF adjustments for that lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Can it focus in manual or live view? Seems like its not reaching to infinity. I think front focusing at infinity might prevent focus as in Adams question.
01-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Can it focus in manual or live view? Seems like its not reaching to infinity. I think front focusing at infinity might prevent focus as in Adams question.
Thanks for the advice Adam and Swanlefitte. I'll try that out. Will try and AF adjust and report back
It seems to work ok in live view.

01-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's absolutely fine for me. Even if I focus very close first, it then jumps to infinity very quickly and accurately (for screw drive). I tried it with both spot and 9-point focus.

P.S. By the way, mine's the SMC version.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 01-02-2017 at 10:28 PM.
01-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

İ had the same trouble with my 70mm too.An old camera repairman solved the problem. is the focus ring looser than it should be?
01-02-2017, 12:55 AM   #7
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
for normal focus within a few metres its fine (using either 33 or 9 point focus). But at infinity or near infinity it won't lock on
My K-1 does that with different lenses (generally screw drive, but occasionally with the 60-250 as well) . I have not found what exactly causes it or how to fix it... I just turn the lens to infinity with my hand if it happens

01-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #8

My 12-24mm won't look at mid-distance with my K-5 and my K10D... I believed that it has a problem, but know that I switched to K-3II... it look perfectly at any distance. Some weird things happened sometime, I hope af adjustment will fix your problem.
01-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

a) Check if lens focusing ring or mount is damaged
b) Can the lens focus to infinity with manual focus?
c) Does it focus past infinity? Sometimes lens focus ring might be a little off and allow focusing past infinity, which leaves nothing in focus
d) What subjects did you test? Sometimes AF around infinity is difficult due to light conditions, atmospheric haze, etc.
e) Do you have in-camera AF adjustments, global or per lens?
f) Oh, and make sure you don't have any filters mounted and the lens optics (front and back element) are clean, make sure aperture stops down correctly. Just general things to check if the lens is working ok

A lens' might be different on different camera bodies because the lenses and camera might be at slightly different factory tolerances. Even a fraction of a millimeter of difference can affect focusing
01-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine is at +6 AF fine adjustment, only use spot.but it is very slow to lock on at times,also infinity..can MF past infinity..maybe it needs adjustment ? use alot with Pentax HD 1.4TC & works fine that way