Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What am I missing with M42 lens?

So I bought a cheapie M42 adapter to use with my old Russian 44-2 M42 lens. No issues mounting the lens or adapter.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere I did search but did not find anything specifically addressing old lens adaption. Using live view with focus peaking.

What I found is that with the lens mounted I am missing or limited to the following:

M or Av mode only
No Auto ISO ie no metering
No IBIS

Seems odd the adapter mounts inside the K mount but does not click into place and there is no "outer rim" on the adapter that locks the lens mount. Perhaps that is causing some of my limitations? Expected to not get metering but was expecting IBIS and TV mode support.

Is this correct or am I missing anything?

01-05-2017, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is an article that explains all this, but it's harder to find with the mobile browser...

You should get stabilization metering, but you'll be limited in exposure modes.

-Eric
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Here's the article:
Manual and M42 Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

IBIS should definitely work, unless you are using a remote control or have otherwise turned it off. The camera should
prompt you for the focal length of the lens when you turn the camera on.
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would only put a genuine Pentax M42 adapter on my K1 !

M; B; Av mode is correct. The camera has no idea what aperture setting you have on the lens, so cannot function in the other modes.

If it cannot read the aperture, it cannot provide auto ISO.

You can meter in Av mode....watch the shutter speed change as you stop down.

IBIS ?

01-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
IBIS ?
In Body Image Stabilization. Shake Reduction.
01-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

IBIS ?
In Body Image Stabilization

---------- Post added 01-05-17 at 05:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Here's the article:
Manual and M42 Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

IBIS should definitely work, unless you are using a remote control or have otherwise turned it off. The camera should
prompt you for the focal length of the lens when you turn the camera on.
Thanks that looks like just what I need.
01-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I figured out why IBIS was disabled. To enable I had to enable custom setting 'Using Aperture Ring'

01-05-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
M or Av mode only
No Auto ISO ie no metering
No IBIS
Consider that there is NO coupling between the lens and camera body and that the body is not able to control ANY feature on the lens. That being said, the general rules are as outlined below with some variance between different bodies:
  • You may shoot in Av or M mode
  • Metering is stop-down, meaning that the meter measures the amount of light with the lens stopped down. In Av mode this is continuous. In M mode, you must use the green button to take a meter reading and set the shutter speed.
  • Auto ISO should still work in AV mode and is not possible in M mode*
  • Unless turned off, IBIS is available, but requires manual entry of focal length
Note that there is some variability in behavior between different body models.

Seems odd the adapter mounts inside the K mount but does not click into place and there is no "outer rim" on the adapter that locks the lens mount.
That is how the conventional Pentax M42 adapter works. It is supposed to click into place and should be removable by depressing the small spring at 10:00 on the mount. At least that is how it works with the genuine Pentax-brand adapter. Cheap third-party adapters are famous for poor fit, poor finish, and an alarming tendency to become stuck on the camera. Conventional wisdom is to remove the retention spring from the adapter to avoid this risk, even though doing so will result in the lens not being locked on to the body. There are also so-called flanged adapters that have an outer plate to engage the lock mechanism, but which do not allow infinity focus. (I know all of this is very complex.)

Steve

* For some models, if auto-ISO is enabled, the camera will default to TAv mode even though the dial says "M". When a lens without contacts on the mount is used, TAv mode defaults to Av, so what you get is Av with auto-ISO. Strange, eh?
01-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So I figured out why IBIS was disabled. To enable I had to enable custom setting 'Using Aperture Ring'
That has nothing to do with IBIS and everything to do with whether you can release the shutter. Still though, it should be enabled.

Steve
01-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That has nothing to do with IBIS and everything to do with whether you can release the shutter. Still though, it should be enabled.

Steve
I agree but thats what seems to enable IBIS based on whatever other combination of things I have set. I can still release the shutter with that setting disabled but no IBIS until I enable it. Without this enabled IBIS is off and disabled for me to change.

Thanks for your great response earlier BTW.
01-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #11

With flagship models such you can also set the DOF preview to Optical. Then in manual mode with MF lenses you can operated the DOF which activates stop-down metering with the EV bar viewfinder display being used to "zero" the exposure. You set the exposure by turning the aperture ring and/or the eDial for shutter speed. The K-1 is a flagship model.
01-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree but thats what seems to enable IBIS based on whatever other combination of things I have set. I can still release the shutter with that setting disabled but no IBIS until I enable it. Without this enabled IBIS is off and disabled for me to change.
If your K-1 behaves in this manner for C4/26 (Using Aperture Ring), that is a departure from the user manual, past Pentax models, and the option description. That being said, perhaps your K-1 is unique What firmware version is installed?

Steve
01-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use a Helios 44-2 on my K-3 with an old Tiffen M42 adapter. SR (ibis) is functional, but I have to use the value of 55mm instead of 58mm. The selectable values for SR are all based on Pentax lenses. Since Pentax did not make a 58mm, 55 is close enough.
01-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If your K-1 behaves in this manner for C4/26 (Using Aperture Ring), that is a departure from the user manual, past Pentax models, and the option description. That being said, perhaps your K-1 is unique What firmware version is installed?

Steve
I'm at 1.40. Could be a combination of other things I have set or more likely my cheap 3rd party adapter that doesn't lock in the mount. Or a bug in the firmware I work in the software industry these things happen
01-06-2017, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #15

You should probably be thankful that the adapter doesn't lock in the mount. Cheap third party M42 adapters have a habit of jamming so that you cannot remove the lens from the body.