Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 09:09 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Widest to Longest with the K-1

I have set myself a challenge to use all of my full-frame lenses on the K-1 and I invite other K-1 owners to join me by posting in this thread. Starting with the widest lens and going to the longest, I intend to post one photo from each lens that demonstrates what special characteristic each offers, and makes me think about why I have each. I doubt if I can post a shot every day, so it might take a little while to get through the lot (I think I have about 15 combinations), but no doubt there will be others that will set off on the journey and show what they have.

My "rules" are:
- Photo has to be taken with a K-1
- Photo has to be taken with a full frame lens ie one with an image circle for a 35mm sensor
- Shots taken with a teleconverter count as a separate lens
- One shot only for each lens (so find that really special shot and make it count)
- Make sure you tell us what lens you are using.

I hope that others will join me in the quest.

My first shot is with a Sigma 20-40 f2.8 DG EX lens of Brisbane city last night. This is my widest lens at the moment, and I am aspiring to the Pentax 15-30 when enough fun-tickets are collected. Settings: Focal length 23mm, ISO 4000, f8, 1/8th, -1EV, hand-held. I bought this lens back in 2007, shortly after I bought my K10D. It was the first lens I acquired after the two kit lenses that came with the camera. Little did I know at that time that it would perfectly match with the future K-1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by AdrianM; 01-05-2017 at 10:08 PM.
01-05-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to cheat and skip my technically widest lens, the D-FA 28-105, as I haven't taken a photo with it on the K-1 that I've been happy with yet. Instead, I'll post my favourite photo from the FA 31mm:

The View from the Tower

It's a photo that really benefits from being viewed at full-screen, otherwise the brightness of one's screen tends to wash out the 'tower' in the lower part of the image, and so many more stars pop when you don't have a bright white background for comparison.

31mm, f5.6, 160" (Astrotracer On), ISO 200
01-06-2017, 06:43 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

This one is shot with the Tokina 17/3,5, my widest lens for the time beeing. The lens is from the film era, but performs reasonably well with the K-1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #4

This is one of my recent Fav's, shot before Xmas in the Yorkshire Dales, its a place called Malham Lings and the foreground is Lime stone eroded by rain over many century's, shot on a K1 with a Samyang 14mm F2.8 @ F11 manual focus lens

01-07-2017, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #5

Photos: Gallery
Widest @ 18mm

Hi to all of you from Christmas Prague !
My newest body with one of my oldest lenses : SAMYANG 18-28/4-4,5 @ 18mm_F9_1/80s_ISO800
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My second post, this time with a SIgma 28-70 f2.8 DF EX at 63mm and f4. The "DF" isn't a typo -this is an older lens before the designation changed to "DG". I originally bought the lens for indoor sports shots when my sons were playing basketball and volleyball - the focal range was just right for courtside with a cropped sensor camera. The challenge has caused me to drag this lens out of semi-retirment to show me that the 28-70 is a useful walk-around lens and that the wide aperture of 2.8 allows some great opportuniteies to play with depth of field. The photo is of a Bottlebrush flower in my front yard (where for the northern hemispehere people is currently in the full heat of summer at around 30 degrees C).

Next shot will be with the Pentax D-FA 28-105 f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-08-2017, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Some scenery you want to capture in full. And then wide is not wide enough.

12mm - Laowa 12mm F2.8:

15mm - Pentax DFA 15-30mm F2.8:

01-09-2017, 03:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
#3 in the series: This shot was taken with the Pentax D-FA 28-105 f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR lens, currently the widest I have in a Pentax-branded lens. This is my favourite walk-around lens with the K-1. It is relatively light and gives a really flexible zoom range for hiking or touring. Additionally, the water resistance is fantastic, and with the K-1, means that the camera and lens can be wet for an extended period and still function - a great feature in the field. I am very impressed with the overall quality of this lens throughout the zoom range. I have seen some commentary about not having a really wide fixed aperture through the zoom range, but for landscapes this hasn't been a problem.

To prove it has something different from the previous lenses, I have chosen a shot from the long end, at 105mm and f8, to show that the 28-105 has a useful (although limited) macro capability. These wildflowers were taken in a trip to Western Australia in December.

Next lens out of the bag will be the Sigma 35 f1.4 Art.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by AdrianM; 01-09-2017 at 01:18 PM.
01-13-2017, 04:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
#4 in the series: Sigma 35 f1.4 DG Art My widest full-frame prime and consequently the first of a number of primes that will appear in this thread. A friend's Toyota 86 is a delightful subject for such a lens, as it creates great images when relatively close to the subject. Delightfully sharp, and one can play with depth of field. One has to be careful with this, though. My first shots of the car had insuffiecient DOF and I had to stop down to ensure the subject was sharp. The main downside is that this is one heavy hunk of glass.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-14-2017, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The four lenses so far, showing the relative size. From left to right:
Sigma 20-40 f2.8 DG EX
Sigma 28-70 f2.8 DF EX
Pentax 28-105 f3.5-5.6 ED DC AW
Sigma 35 f1.4 DG Art

Although the Sigma 20-40 is the largest of this set, the Sigma 35 f1.4 outweighs it (0.712kg vs 0.632kg)

Only about a dozen more lenses to go! Next up is the Pentax FA 50 f1.4.
Attached Images

01-14-2017, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
The four lenses so far
All those UV filters ....
01-17-2017, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #12

Taken with an old, pre-digital, smcPentax FAJ 18-35mm f/4-5.6 at 18mm. This is the widest I have for the K-1 but it serves very nicely for travel shots like this.

01-19-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
#5 in the series: Pentax SMC FA 50 f1.4 The second Pentax-branded lens in my line-up, and not one I use too often. It is delightfully sharp but I found that one has to work a bit to control the depth of field. Much lighetr and smaller than the Sigma 35 f1.4 Art, the FA50 doesn't actually require a pack-mule to carry around. Taking this photo of a friend's Mini had me immediately noticing how much further away from the subject i had to get than with the 35 - unsurprisingly, I guess but you can't always zoom with your feet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-21-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
#6 in the series: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM Macro II This lens has a few interesting features. It needed to have a lens mount and firmware upgrade to be able to be used on the K-1. The constant 2.8 aperture is a great advantage in terms of ability to focus, but as with many long lenses, controlling the depth of field is a fairly skilled art. The lens is advertised as Macro, but is somewhat limited in this role with a 1:3.5 magnification - if you aren't after eally tiny stuff then that's fine. Another advantage of the lens is that, with a longest focal length of 200mm, it is the longest lens that is allowed into many sporting competitions. Where I have recently used this lens was at the university graduation of my son, allowing me to take photos of a relatively dimly lit stage at quite some distance.

I have chosen to show a 'macro' shot of a Little Evodia flower in my back yard, taken at ISO 1000, f5.6.

Next lens in the line-up is a Tamron 80-210 f3.8-4 that I bought back in 1978.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
#7 in the series: Tamron Adaptall2 80-210 f3.8-4 CF Tele Macro BBAR MC The oldest lens I own, having bout the lens back in 1978 when it was the latest thing. This is a manual focus lens, but works fine with Pentax cameras using Catch-in-Focus. I have the Adaptall mount that provides aperture information. Relatively small and light, it actually offers a better macro capability than the Sigma 70-200. Although I really only have this lens for historical purposes, it is part of the collection and deserves its place in the sun. I was quite impressed with the performance of this lens in the shot of the spider - it has no problem with sharpness.

Next in the series is the Sigma 100-300 f4 APO DG EX.

By the way, I noticed a few others who have posted one shot in the thread and I would love to see some more shots with other lenses, so feel free to join the thread - see the rules in the first post.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo