Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I would suggest something like this, with hand warmers inside the cover; rather than using a camera below the recommended temps, for such extended times.
Thanks for the link - I hadn't heard of these accessories. Made in Canada - but in lower mainland British Columbia, the balmy part of the country!

I have used my K-5 II and K-3 II in temperatures approaching minus 20 C without any issues, other than reduced battery capacity. I would say that minus 25 or colder challenges the electro-mechanical systems. However, my IBIS* works fine.

* In-Body Involuntary Shivering

01-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was shooting at about -15C with the body cold having been in the cold vehicle for day. The mirror would hang up somehow so I had double vision in the viewfinder. Off and on reset things, but I figured I had found the limits of the unit. The K3 was flawless in whatever temperatures I ran into.
01-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
... It is outside the operational specs of the camera. ...
I think many of us have used the K-1 outside of specs. I'm still new to my K-1 but I noticed that the operating specs says 85% max humidity. Many US cities exceed that on summer mornings.
01-07-2017, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean something like the covers suggested by @csa above?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/337377-ibis-failure-28c-te...qm#post3872787

Steve
Yes, this could work. Have never seen product like that here. Thanks to @csa

-40C is okay with good clothing. For example my hat has nice insulation and thick rabbit fur on top of that. And on top of that I use tight fitting hood. For first layers of clothing I use "heavy" merino wool which just rocks.

For hands I use large mittens in which I use merino wool gloves. I only take off mittens when composing a picture. If I use hand warmers inside the mittens it works super good. Also, it is vital to keep good blood circulation by spinning hands in large circles every now and then.

Last edited by MJKoski; 01-07-2017 at 04:34 AM.
01-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #35
Pentaxian

If you go out every year at very cold temperatures adjust your technique, i.e. get a blimp case, ...
01-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
How is your K-1 working in the cold? Yesterday the IBIS unit failed completely after being exposed to ~ -28C for 4 hours or so. PS would not start exposure, sensor shift did not respond to controls and shake reduction did nothing. It started to work again today after warming up in the bag overnight. It did this with full battery as well.

I would like to know if your unit works properly.
Sorry for the late answer, I was out hiking and shooting for a weekend.
Yesterday morning was a very cold sunny morning at mountains nearby, temperature was -24 celsius at sunrise.
I was out there hiking and shooting from sunrise until sunset.
Highest temperature during the whole day was -19 celsius.
My K-1 was out there for 9h, in my hand or on my neck.
IBIS and K-1 in general worked just fine without any single problem.

One more interesting observation for Pentax users of older models:
Seems like that battery have better thermal insulation in compare to K-5.
Because of very cold weather I brought with me battery from my old K-5 as a spare battery.
I managed to take more photos with that battery in my K-1 at -20 celsius average temperature than my old K-5 at temperatures slightly below 0 celsius.
Anybody else noticed something similar?

---------- Post added 01-08-17 at 08:28 PM ----------

Yes, this could work. Have never seen product like that here. Thanks to @csa

-40C is okay with good clothing. For example my hat has nice insulation and thick rabbit fur on top of that. And on top of that I use tight fitting hood. For first layers of clothing I use "heavy" merino wool which just rocks.

For hands I use large mittens in which I use merino wool gloves. I only take off mittens when composing a picture. If I use hand warmers inside the mittens it works super good. Also, it is vital to keep good blood circulation by spinning hands in large circles every now and then.
I also prefer merino wool for socks, pullower and gloves at extreme temperatures.
My favourites are made by Icewear.
01-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice. That was not far off from -28C. Maybe there are some differences in manufacturing tolerances as -10C is the guaranteed low point.
01-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How is your K-1 working in the cold? Yesterday the IBIS unit failed completely after being exposed to ~ -28C for 4 hours or so. PS would not start exposure, sensor shift did not respond to controls and shake reduction did nothing. It started to work again today after warming up in the bag overnight. It did this with full battery as well.

I expect it wasn't your IBIS that failed. I bet it was your battery that failed due to cold.

01-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I swapped in fresh battery (stored close to body inside jacket) to see of that would solve it. But it did not help.
01-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #40

Well it can't even be tested here in the UK as the coldest air temperature EVER officially recorded here is -27.2 deg C.

-10 C is rare here and that's the spec limit, so if it works anywhere below that it's a bonus wherever you are I guess. Someone mentioned the max. humidity spec. though, 85%, and that we can readily test, all my Pentax cameras have always worked just fine at our commonplace 100% humidity. In fact, it's 88% right now, and not even a rainy day.

Last edited by Dave L; 01-10-2017 at 09:49 AM.
01-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sensor shift is really stretching the limits in normal room temperature only. It sounds like something is going to give when approaching the upper/lower limit for any direction.
01-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think OP is not wrong to bring up the topic.
Though it would be good if he could somehow state it more as a 'usage beyond spec' that he would like suggestions on, rather than sounding as if its the camera's issue.

I already see some good suggestions (ie. casing; heatpacks; )

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think many of us have used the K-1 outside of specs. I'm still new to my K-1 but I noticed that the operating specs says 85% max humidity. Many US cities exceed that on summer mornings.
In Summer?

I have above that sort of humidity every single day

That said, it may be a gradual corrosion of electronics or degradation of the sensor/cover glass that is the problem.
01-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #43

I would say that the cold has an impact on the SR mechanism.
Coils, magnets, lubricant are all effected by cold temps. My main bet would be on the lubricant if there is any (probably).

If everything else is working in the camera and if the SR starts to work when the camera gets warmer its all fine.
01-11-2017, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think OP is not wrong to bring up the topic.
Though it would be good if he could somehow state it more as a 'usage beyond spec' that he would like suggestions on, rather than sounding as if its the camera's issue.
My guess is that it's intentional - just like when he was complaining how the K-1's front LED isn't very good as a flashlight, to find out stuff in his bag or something.
Be careful, he's trying to find "faults".
01-11-2017, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Be careful, he's trying to find "faults".
That is ok for me as long as he is telling the truth.
He is using his camera for serious work in extreme conditions and from his point of view it is absolutely ok to be suspicious on every sign of irregularities.
The fact that he uses Pentax K-1 in those conditions instead of Nikon, Sony, Canon speaks for itself.