Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 01:22 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
True. Then again sooner or later the camera temp will drop to match the ambient. Unless you use some sort of active heating or sleep with the gear, neither of which seem very appetizing or sustainable on a week long trek.
Haha, I'll sleep with my K-1 to keep it warm (if condensation didn't worry me). Fair, fair.

01-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
-21C is current on our regular freezer, easily goes deeper. -18C is the standard for frozen food.
01-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
True. Then again sooner or later the camera temp will drop to match the ambient. Unless you use some sort of active heating or sleep with the gear, neither of which seem very appetizing or sustainable on a week long trek.
I imagine you keep a little water with you so it won't freeze.
It's all about choosing the correct bed fellows :^)

If anyone does sleep with the camera, they should keep it covered. I think vapor from the body in a bag would be bad for the camera.
01-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #109

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I imagine you keep a little water with you so it won't freeze.
It's all about choosing the correct bed fellows :^)

If anyone does sleep with the camera, they should keep it covered. I think vapor from the body in a bag would be bad for the camera.
Water is melted on demand with a gas stove. But yeah if you sleep with the camera you should definately protect the camera from sweat etc :P.

01-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
You have a -22C freezer???
Yes, indeed. It has option to go to -25C but at the cost of horrible electric bill.
01-26-2017, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #111

Hi all,
Just got back from a work trip to the Canadian arctic. I normally use a point and shoot or m43 camera for work (it's not pro photography work), but I brought my K-1 this time due to the very low light at this time of year. The temperature was between -28 C to -32 C and I was outside for 4 to 5 hours between breaks for 6 days.

The only minor issue that happened was the mirror stayed up once during a shot. It returned to normal after removing and replacing the battery. The rest of the time everything worked as normal with no special precautions taken. I was very happy with the performance overall.

I have used my other camera (Olympus E-M5ii) in these temperatures all last winter with no particular issues, just short battery life. But in my experience anything below -30C and especially nearing -40 causes strange behavior with any electronics.
01-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
-21C is current on our regular freezer, easily goes deeper. -18C is the standard for frozen food.
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Huh, I guess it is. I assumed it was closer to 0 C.
01-27-2017, 04:18 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The coldest night this week peaked at -30C and camera was exposed to cold that day for 6 hours in total. No such problems as the 1st K-1 but one side effect was detected - the IBIS system made noise similar like coil whine which is fairly common today with certain video cards. Although not as loud.