Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Its not IBIS that failed. Its the battery. You need to use specialty li-ion battery for that low a temperature. I understand your argument about it being a full battery. .. so allow me to explain. Li-ions discharge at -20degrees. Even if they don't their internal resistance becomes much higher dramatically reducing their C rating (the ability to supply sustained current at the specified voltage).
Excellent technical explanation.

Steve

(...but...but...but...Sony... )

01-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Excellent technical explanation.

Steve

(...but...but...but...Sony... )
I'd bet that Sony cameras stay warmer inside because the sensor and image processing circuits are on 100% of the time. The flipside of poorer battery life of mirrorless cameras is that the extra power draw from the battery keeps the camera at a higher-than-ambient temperature.
01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #78
Banned

My 2 cents:

1) Is -10 temperature limit outside or inside a camera?
I was shooting last saturday during the whole day on temperatures between -24 and -19 but based on exif file temperature inside my camera felt just slightly below -10 degrees.
Actually just one shot with "Camera Temperature : -13 C" in exif data, everything else was higher than that so that wasn't too much out of specs.

2) Compare Pentax with Sony cameras is not fair because those Sony cameras have builtin 4k block heater
01-14-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Down parka. Snow pants. Polar boots. Balaclava. Touch sensor compatible gloves inside down mittens. Hand warmers.
Thanks for the follow up. So generally speaking spec ops photo ninja is the way to go.

I've been out shooting and I think my mitts were the weak link. I found it hard to function. Didn't help when my fingers were sticking to the tripod and I didn't have the dexterity to operate the knobs to adjust it.

01-15-2017, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I lost my K-1 and 15-30 to the depths of sea during Wednesday evening this week :/ I slipped badly and fell into the sea from a cliff in heavy winter clothing. Kind of lucky to be alive. So...it may take a while to get back trying some other type of battery and battery insert in those temps. Insurance worked though, another K-1 is ordered already.

K-1 and 15-30 resisted sea water about ~15 seconds before the lights went off under water. I have such a nice paperweight right now sitting on my desk.
01-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I lost my K-1 and 15-30 to the depths of sea during Wednesday evening this week :/ I slipped badly and fell into the sea from a cliff in heavy winter clothing. Kind of lucky to be alive. So...it may take a while to get back trying some other type of battery and battery insert in those temps. Insurance worked though, another K-1 is ordered already.

K-1 and 15-30 resisted sea water about ~15 seconds before the lights went off under water. I have such a nice paperweight right now sitting on my desk.

Glad you survived...sorry about your gear.

Steve
01-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently the EXIF temperature is read from somewhere on an internal circuit board location. In my experience, it is always warmer by several degrees than ambient.

01-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I lost my K-1 and 15-30 to the depths of sea during Wednesday evening this week :/ I slipped badly and fell into the sea from a cliff in heavy winter clothing. Kind of lucky to be alive. So...it may take a while to get back trying some other type of battery and battery insert in those temps. Insurance worked though, another K-1 is ordered already. K-1 and 15-30 resisted sea water about ~15 seconds before the lights went off under water. I have such a nice paperweight right now sitting on my desk.
oh my, lucky you, still be able to comment on this thread and luck you, the insurance worked well ^^ an extra K-1 paperweight is always welcome
01-16-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well yeah! But, as I wrote I wanted another K-1 to replace the dead one. I could have taken the money and jumped to another brand. Recent FW updates brought useful features like red vision mode and bulb timer which are good enough for me. @Rondec asked if camera worked without PS and sensor shift - yes it did. I got photos that night but missed one sensor shift composition which would have had 4:3 aspect ratio.

Back to this topic then, where can I buy a type of battery which works better in these temps? I tried backup car starter lead acid battery system which had USB output with A7R2 as it supplied enough amperage through the USB port to keep camera running on USB power. But the weight of that monstrosity was 14 kg. Not really suitable for longer treks.
01-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #85
Banned

K-1 and 15-30 resisted sea water about ~15 seconds before the lights went off under water.
Good to know almost as "if you hold a lungful of air, you can survive in the total vacuum of space for about 30 seconds".

But always look on the bright side of life, maybe new one won't have that white dot issue.

p.s. I assume that you are alive and well otherwise I won't be joking at all

01-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I got lucky, and that was the second time already. In 2011 I drove off the road at 70km/h and hit a large tree (tree 1 - car 0). It matters that I did not hit my head (this time) because I had to swim few meters to get a foothold and then wade through the water to more secure ground.

It might be better to stop this insane hobby as humans do not usually have nine lives.
01-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Have you rinsed, dried and powered on?
01-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are dead like a rock. There is still some water inside the zoom when shaken. And body as well. The sealing is holding in normal atmospheric pressure. The whole set was underwater for approx. 30 minutes before I managed to get them up with a loooong pole fishing net...
01-16-2017, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if it is possible to stuff a hand warmer packet inside an empty battery grip to keep the camera warm?
01-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Normal battery slot is too tight, but inside a grip it could fit when stuffed carefully. There is some spare room there at least if one modifies the battery holder a bit. This way, the warmer could heat both the body and the battery.

And sure...empty grip would would take at least 3 chemical hand warmers or large one - foot warmers and such.