Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 & Lightroom, Presets for Sharpening etc.

(not sure if this should be in the processing forum section...)

Hi all,

Before i start manually developing photos i apply a preset with the following setting:

Basic:
Temp 5000
Tint 0
Clarity +30

Detail:
Amount 75
Radius 1.0
Detail 60
Masking 55
NR Luminance 5

Lens Corrections:
Enable Profile
Remove CA

Afterward i mostly only adjust the temperature (and all the other adjustments not listed above... exposure, blacks/whites, etc). As long as i don't shoot high iso i don't touch the details section at all.
This is mainly derived from my K-5 setting, which worked imho well for exports of 1920x1200 and fullscreen view or flickr.

so, anyone willing tho share his settings? maybe some hints what i'm completly missing or doing wrong in your oppinion? Any other settings you use by default? Any settings of these you think should always be checked manually? any special camera calibration profiles?

01-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
zan

Why do you bump clarity to +30?

I hope you do not use it for portraits
01-07-2017, 03:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, i see i should mention that I mostly shoot landscapes. For Portraits i adjust clarity or overstrike it negatively with a brush.
01-07-2017, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Whilst I don't own a K-1, I use Lightroom for all of my cameras.

My preferences have evolved over time and continue to change in small ways, but typically I start off with the following, regardless of camera:

Basic:

WB: As shot
Contrast +10
Clarity +10
Vibrance +7

Tone Curve:

Highlights +3
Lights +5
Darks -5
Shadows -3

Detail:

Sharpening
Amount +50
Radius +0.7
Detail +25
Masking +80

Noise Reduction
Luminance 15
Detail +50
Contrast 0
Colour +25
Detail +50
Smoothness +50

Lens Corrections
Enable Profile Corrections (on)
Remove Chromatic Aberration (on)
Constrain Crop (on)

Camera Calibration
Profile: Embedded (or Standard for some cameras)

The Contrast / Clarity / Vibrance and Tone Curve settings give a bit or richness and pop to the images. Sharpening is enough for the RAW, but for output I'll usually create a resized TIFF and sharpen that independently before exporting to an unsharpened JPEG. With luminance noise reduction applied, I recommend setting a high default level for sharpening masking to minimise sharpening effect of any noise (if zero luminance noise reduction is set, I'll up the sharpening masking as far as +100). Setting the Camera Calibration Profile to use the camera's embedded profile, or a "Standard" type setting, is preferable to "Adobe Standard" which tends to be rather washed out by comparison.

QuoteOriginally posted by chochichaeschtli Quote
i should mention that I mostly shoot landscapes
Where detailed foliage is concerned, I would suggest keeping the radius of your sharpening lower a little lower than you currently use... between 0.5 and 0.7 would be best.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-07-2017 at 04:49 AM.
01-07-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Here's my LR(CC) work flow (don't be put-off by the title )...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/284585-extreme-telephoto-tip...ml#post3189008

... takes about ten seconds and works great !
That's a logical workflow if you're working on single images, but what about batch processing multiple images and getting them "in the ball-park" - do you start off with any kind of preset? I think that's what the OP is really asking
01-07-2017, 04:38 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Unregistered User

I start from 0 on all, WB on as shot. I find that most times I only do minor adjustments. This image I gave -0.5 on the exposure, +13 on the contrast, -9 on the blacks, +8 on clarity and a +13 on the vibrance. I have set a Camera RAW defaults with a base sharpening of my choosing and I have Remove CA and +2 on the Defringe amounts. Also Camera Bright is default.

01-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never use development presets.

...and Tjompen, that is a really nice shot

01-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote

...and Tjompen, that is a really nice shot
Thanks!
01-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whilst I don't own a K-1, I use Lightroom for all of my cameras.
Thanks for your comprehensive description! So pixel size and final resulution is not important to consider? My gut told me with a higher resolution / smaller pixels i may have to adjust the sharpening parameters like radius etc. - I'll play with radius then anyway.
Your settings sound comparable. You seem to sharpen a bit less, which makes sense as you sharpen the tiff afterwards. I will try that workflow.
As camera calibration i have no choice, its set to "embedded". With the K-5 i had a choice - don't know why.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
subtract the Luminance adjustment number from 100 and enter that calculation into the AMOUNT slider's adjustment result box
Thank you. As i mostly shoot iso <= 400 i don't really need NR, this would imply i should may use a higher value for sharpening by default.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
what about batch processing multiple images and getting them "in the ball-park" - do you start off with any kind of preset? I think that's what the OP is really asking
Yes, that's what i meant. I'm sitting in front of 900 shots from my holidays, of which i expect to delete 600, edit 30 in detail and leave the rest more or less untouched with a preset.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have set a Camera RAW defaults with a base sharpening
Nice shot. So you indeed use a default sharpening? I don't quite understand what you mean.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
So you sharpen every single image from scratch? Because without shaprening my raws look much worse than every phone snapshot
01-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you sharpen every single image from scratch? Because without shaprening my raws look much worse than every phone snapshot

Yep, I don't have the big volume of similar shots that could motivate a preset
01-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your comprehensive description! So pixel size and final resulution is not important to consider? My gut told me with a higher resolution / smaller pixels i may have to adjust the sharpening parameters like radius etc. - I'll play with radius then anyway.
Your settings sound comparable. You seem to sharpen a bit less, which makes sense as you sharpen the tiff afterwards. I will try that workflow.
Well, no approach will be a perfect "one size fits all" solution, but I use a fair range of different cameras with resolutions from 10 to 24 megapixels, and I find my current settings to be a good default preset to get me started (based, of course, on my own preferences - we all differ, so there's no absolute right or wrong here ).

My approach to sharpening is to get nothing more than clear detail in the RAW - it doesn't have to be biting sharp, just a notch above what the camera provided. And I prefer to sharpen the resized TIFF in Lightroom rather than applying sharpening at JPEG output, as I can use the masking control to avoid any remaining noise or grain being sharpened.

I used to deal with each of my photos individually, which gave me great results but was time consuming for longer shoots. Through advice here on the forums, I started developing presets for all of my common adjustments, and I now have four or five presets for each major adjustment area giving different levels of those adjustments. If I'm importing a whole series of high ISO shots, or those taken with, say, a low-contrast lens, I might change the preset I apply on import to suit.
01-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
Unregistered User

Nice shot. So you indeed use a default sharpening? I don't quite understand what you mean.

I have taken a ISO100-shot under normal circumstances and given it a sharpening to my liking. Not to much, not to little. These settings I have saved as New Camera RAW defaults. So when an image taken with my K-1 enters Camera RAW it will use those settings as a baseline. Not the Adobe defaults.
01-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I start from 0 on all, WB on as shot. I find that most times I only do minor adjustments. This image I gave -0.5 on the exposure, +13 on the contrast, -9 on the blacks, +8 on clarity and a +13 on the vibrance. I have set a Camera RAW defaults with a base sharpening of my choosing and I have Remove CA and +2 on the Defringe amounts. Also Camera Bright is default.

Amazing, love the DR On this one. If you don't mind, can you kindly put the original photo of this one? Originally I thought this one was a stacked (bracketed) and cooked in post.

What are your thoughts on the K-1?

Thank you very much.
01-11-2017, 02:23 AM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Amazing, love the DR On this one. If you don't mind, can you kindly put the original photo of this one? Originally I thought this one was a stacked (bracketed) and cooked in post.

What are your thoughts on the K-1?

Thank you very much.
I do not have enough free space to put up the original. My thought on the K-1? I enjoy the K-1 alot. Best Pentax DSLR so far in every regard except size and weight.