Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Switched to K-1 from Nikon.

Welcome! I am new the this forum also & just switched to the K-1 last month & have no regrets. I've been a Nikon guy since 1992, beginning with a used F3HP, then to a new F4, until my first DSLR (D70). After using the K-1 with the kit 28-105 for just three weeks, I sent 12 used Nikon lenses & a D7000 to B & H for trade in for the Pentax 100 F/2.8 macro & the 70-200 f/2.8 D-FA*. I still have a Nikon D750 with a 24-120 f/4 & a 200-400 f/4 for wildlife. I know, the D750 is full frame & not ideal for wildlife, but it's still better than the D7000 for that use & it's what I have. I plan to purchase the 15-30 soon & the 150-450 when funding allows. I do mostly scenic/landscape also, & the K-1 images I've taken so far, even with the 28-105, have exceeded my expectations. I know that many say that the "Pixel Shift" mode has limited use, & it does, but here in the desert southwestern US, I think it is perhaps more useful than many other parts of the world.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

01-12-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The cost of the glass is high, period - that's not a Pentax thing. And the Pentax DA* 300mm f/4 is just over $1000, less than the Canon or Nikon (the new Nikon 300 f/4 is $2000. by the way). And the D FA 20-105 is worth every penny.
Absolutely, the quality of the DFA 28-105 has made it my walk around lens ahead of the K-3 and 18-135. Something I didn't expect to happen. I bought it to be my landscape lens.
01-12-2017, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AZGMDale Quote
I know that many say that the "Pixel Shift" mode has limited use, & it does, but here in the desert southwestern US, I think it is perhaps more useful than many other parts of the world.
I think that pixel shift is probably one of the best things for landscape/macro/still life that exists. I'm glad that it exists on my K-70.
01-12-2017, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

I learned on a Canon Rebel film camera and my brother and I saved up for almost a year to get the Canon T3i as our first DSLR back in 2012. We loved the T3i and it served us well but I got tired of sharing it so I started looking into getting my own body. I watched a Youtube video from Digitalrev talking about Pentax so I did some research and the rest is history. I've never looked back and I am glad to be a Pentaxian.

01-12-2017, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Fascinating in particular to hear all the stories from people who had invested quite a bit in a non-Pentax system but made the switch anyway - thanks for sharing.

01-12-2017, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fascinating in particular to hear all the stories from people who had invested quite a bit in a non-Pentax system but made the switch anyway - thanks for sharing.
It has been my experience that it is much easier to sell Nikon and Canon stuff and get close to what you paid for it than Pentax. There are just so much more people in the market.
It is much easier financially to get out of Canikon and go to Pentax (or Fuji or another smaller player) than the other way around.
01-12-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #52

Original Poster
Thank you All!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my post, post sample shots, and share your thoughts, experience and suggestions. You’ve given me more to think about than I expected. One thing for sure, I’m very impressed with you Pentaxians for being so quick to help!

I’ve been wanting an FF camera for years, but couldn’t afford the one I wanted, and didn’t want to “settle” for something less or something used. After looking at the K-1, I couldn’t help but think it’d be the “almost perfect” camera for me. But, as several of you pointed out, once you’ve acquired several lenses for a particular brand camera, it’s very difficult to switch. Even though I never had an FF camera, I’d buy the best lenses I could afford, and have accumulated some nice ones over the years, most of them L lenses. So if I do get a Canon FF, I’d be set as far as lenses is concerned, with the exception of a “walk around lens,” that is.

A couple of you brought up a good point. Financially, it’d be reasonable to buy the K-1 and a good lens or two, as it would cost about the same as the 5Dm4 – at least for now. But shooting the way I like, sooner or later, I’d want a macro lens, a wide-angle, a nice zoom and maybe even a fisheye, all lenses I already have for a Canon, but would have to buy again for the K-1. I didn’t think that far and appreciate those of you mentioning it. Sure, I could sell my Canon lenses to pay towards the new Pentax lenses, but does it make sense? Financially, not at all. On the other hand, once I do get my hands on a K-1 and it feels right and perfect, I might be willing to take a financial loss and go all Pentax, or I could keep everything Canon (with the 7D) and add more things Pentax, but I’d have to convert part of our home into a “photo storage area” (which hubby would not approve of).

I sure wish all cameras were made standard, so that all lenses would fit all camera bodies, no matter the brand. Would make a photographer’s life so much easier, wouldn’t it? We could keep all our lenses and switch camera bodies back and forth to our heart’s content. Again, thank you all for your invaluable input!

01-12-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karmaya Quote
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my post, post sample shots, and share your thoughts, experience and suggestions. You’ve given me more to think about than I expected. One thing for sure, I’m very impressed with you Pentaxians for being so quick to help!

I’ve been wanting an FF camera for years, but couldn’t afford the one I wanted, and didn’t want to “settle” for something less or something used. After looking at the K-1, I couldn’t help but think it’d be the “almost perfect” camera for me. But, as several of you pointed out, once you’ve acquired several lenses for a particular brand camera, it’s very difficult to switch. Even though I never had an FF camera, I’d buy the best lenses I could afford, and have accumulated some nice ones over the years, most of them L lenses. So if I do get a Canon FF, I’d be set as far as lenses is concerned, with the exception of a “walk around lens,” that is.

A couple of you brought up a good point. Financially, it’d be reasonable to buy the K-1 and a good lens or two, as it would cost about the same as the 5Dm4 – at least for now. But shooting the way I like, sooner or later, I’d want a macro lens, a wide-angle, a nice zoom and maybe even a fisheye, all lenses I already have for a Canon, but would have to buy again for the K-1. I didn’t think that far and appreciate those of you mentioning it. Sure, I could sell my Canon lenses to pay towards the new Pentax lenses, but does it make sense? Financially, not at all. On the other hand, once I do get my hands on a K-1 and it feels right and perfect, I might be willing to take a financial loss and go all Pentax, or I could keep everything Canon (with the 7D) and add more things Pentax, but I’d have to convert part of our home into a “photo storage area” (which hubby would not approve of).

I sure wish all cameras were made standard, so that all lenses would fit all camera bodies, no matter the brand. Would make a photographer’s life so much easier, wouldn’t it? We could keep all our lenses and switch camera bodies back and forth to our heart’s content. Again, thank you all for your invaluable input!
As mentioned before, you might want to try renting a k-1 to get a feel for its capabilities and put to rest any remaining uncertainty you might have. I have a k-3 and was debating about going to a k-3ii or all in on a k-1. I found my Tamrons (24-75 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8) would all work in FF mode. My walk about 18-250 was an APS-C and while I could make it work with some post processing in FF mode, it would work just fine in crop mode of the k-1. I rented the k-1 from lensrentals.com and frankly it pushed me over the edge and I bought my own k-1. You could get the k-1 and a lens for a few days and then feel very comfortable with which way you wanted to go.

Either way I am sure you will be happy with what you got, and hope the new body just gets you revved up to shoot some more!!!
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's always large-format cameras, super compatible lenses.
01-14-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Good Afternoon.

I'm a brand-new member (joined this morning). I joined because I'm considering getting a K-1 and figured this forum is a great way to learn more about this camera. Everything I read about it so far makes me think it's perfect for me. However, there is a problem: I've been a Canon shooter since the late 70s, upgraded cameras and added lenses (some really nice ones) over the years. I'm pretty heavily invested in Canon, so to speak. Whenever I upgraded cameras, I never even looked at other brands because it just made no sense, what with me already having all these great Canon lenses, right?

My current camera is the Canon 7D. While outdated, it's still a great camera. But when hauling it (and several lenses) on vacation became too cumbersome, I added a Sony bridge camera as well as the tiny RX100m4, the two became my travel gear.
However, after almost 40 years of shooting, I've decided I want a FF camera, if only to see what I've been missing all these years. I want to get one soon, before retirement, as I may not be able to afford it when retired.

I was looking at the 6D, but it's too outdated. There are rumors of a 6Dm2 sometime this year, so that could be one option. I always dreamed of owning a 5D, but never could afford it, until now. I was about to order the 5Dm4 but, given its huge price, decided to do something I haven't done before: research FF cameras, any brand, to make sure I'm getting the best camera for my money and needs. I've never spent $3,500 on a camera before. Well, I've never spent $3,500 on anything smaller than a car, so I wanted to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

I looked at Nikon, but none struck me as being better than the 5Dm4. Since owning two Sonys, I also checked Sony FFs. There's one in the same price-range and the good thing about Sony would be that I could use my Canon lenses (with adapter), so that's on my short list for now, though I'm not sure I really want to go the adapter-route.

Long story short, throughout my search, research, reading reviews, watching video clips on YouTube, etc., the one camera that also kept popping up was the Pentax K-1. Always heard Pentax made great cameras, but I thought Pentax was out of business, probably because I never see them in camera stores.

The K-1 sounds almost perfect for me. It has almost everything I want. The only downside, it's not considered a great sports camera (I enjoy shooting Indy and NASCAR races), but I decided to keep my 7D which is great for that. I'm not much of a videographer, so learning that the K-1 isn't the best for videos is of no concern to me. If I do need video, I'll bring my Sony or use my iPhone.

My favorite subjects to photograph are landscape, wildlife, macros, and pets. While I don't really like shooting people, my family often expects me to be the photographer at events. From all I've read, the K-1 should be able to handle all of these things very well. So should I switch brands and start over with Pentax? I am torn because the financial-planner part of my brain says NO. But then I look at the price tag and realize that for the price of a 5Dm4, I could buy the K-1 and a good lens to go with it (trying to forget that I may want to add more lenses later, which is what my financial-planner in me doesn't like).

So if anyone in this forum reads this and can relate or has made the switch from another system to Pentax, please share your thoughts. If you've switched from Canon FF to Pentax, are you totally happy with your decision? Finally, if I do get the K-1, what would be the best all-around lens(es) (I'm a pixel-peeper) I should get for my purposes, considering it'll likely be my only K-1 lens(es) for a long time. Total price not to exceed $3,500. Thank you all!
Hello Karmaya,
no! The EOS 6D is not outdated, not at all. I had two of them that I changed for the K-1, and this Canon is the best price quality ratio you can get at this time and far better than EOS 7D MKI. EOS 5DMKIV is nonsense to my eyes. But the K-1 is THE best DSLR OVF camera you can get. If you don't mind about last prime lenses and can live with very good zoom lenses, the K-1 is THE one as far as you shoot in RAW files... Consider as well the D-BG6 grip..
01-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello Karmaya,
no! The EOS 6D is not outdated, not at all. I had two of them that I changed for the K-1, and this Canon is the best price quality ratio you can get at this time and far better than EOS 7D MKI. EOS 5DMKIV is nonsense to my eyes. But the K-1 is THE best DSLR OVF camera you can get. If you don't mind about last prime lenses and can live with very good zoom lenses, the K-1 is THE one as far as you shoot in RAW files... Consider as well the D-BG6 grip..
Hi Teiki, I wasn't meant to imply that the 6D was outdated as far as its capabilities. I realize it's a very fine FF camera. I meant it's been around several years and not the latest as far as technologically advanced. There are rumors that the new version or a replacement is up for release this year. I would like to get the latest technology in my next camera. I still enjoy (and shoot with) my old 7D and for my purposes it's a better camera than the 6D. The 6D is not weather-sealed. In fact, even though it was inside a bag during a rain storm, but the bag wasn't totally waterproof, the 6D got damaged beyond repair. I can't have a camera that can't take a few drops of water. :-) which is one of many reasons the K-1 is so appealing to me. Thanks for your response and happy shooting!
01-16-2017, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

a little late to the commenting , while i haven't owned canon I have shot it a fair bit when i was still selling them at retail. I was a pentax guy already (I switched back from the AE1 system long before digital. Pentax got a slow enough start i almost switched then but i found i didn't like the canon ergonomics , i held on and went pentax . and stayed there until 2 years ago when a lot of my gear was stolen (great time to change systems with all the insurance cash) had the K-1 been out i would still be shooting Pentax I imagine. it wasn't I tried out the Fuji system and fell in love with it. If i was to switch again it would be because of the K1 , I may just get it with the 31/43/77 because that would be an almost ideal kit for me but running two systems is expensive. As many have pointed out if you have a good range of FF compatible Canon glass that is high quality and expensive to replace sticking with canon makes sense. the 5DIV is a very capable camera and paired with your existing glass will likely be a fuller system than anything you do with pentax on that budget. If OTOH you have a lot of aps lenses that need to be replaced then maybe renting a k1 with a couple of lenses for a week to get a feel for whether you like it makes sense. If you do then selling off all the canon and investing into a new system makes sense., good luck with whatever decision you make
01-16-2017, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

The 6D is not weather-sealed. In fact, even though it was inside a bag during a rain storm, but the bag wasn't totally waterproof, the 6D got damaged beyond repair. I can't have a camera that can't take a few drops of water. :-) which is one of many reasons the K-1 is so appealing to me. Thanks for your response and happy shooting!
Hi Karmaya,
I have worked with my two EOS 6D cameras during the monsoon and never had to complain about this. I am sorry for you...

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
a little late to the commenting , while i haven't owned canon I have shot it a fair bit when i was still selling them at retail. I was a pentax guy already (I switched back from the AE1 system long before digital. Pentax got a slow enough start i almost switched then but i found i didn't like the canon ergonomics , i held on and went pentax . and stayed there until 2 years ago when a lot of my gear was stolen (great time to change systems with all the insurance cash) had the K-1 been out i would still be shooting Pentax I imagine. it wasn't I tried out the Fuji system and fell in love with it. If i was to switch again it would be because of the K1 , I may just get it with the 31/43/77 because that would be an almost ideal kit for me but running two systems is expensive. As many have pointed out if you have a good range of FF compatible Canon glass that is high quality and expensive to replace sticking with canon makes sense. the 5DIV is a very capable camera and paired with your existing glass will likely be a fuller system than anything you do with pentax on that budget. If OTOH you have a lot of aps lenses that need to be replaced then maybe renting a k1 with a couple of lenses for a week to get a feel for whether you like it makes sense. If you do then selling off all the canon and investing into a new system makes sense., good luck with whatever decision you make
Actually, I am very lucky. I feel free because of my Leica-R lenses collection. I only have to change the mount (Leitax) to get the best DSLR camera I wish. Is that not marvellously comforting? I have not to say my gear is the best, because it's always the best to my eyes each time I am free to choose what I want to according to my wallet and specific price quality ratio according to the best camera at any moment of any brand... So yes, I can tell today I have IMHO the best camera toward to my expectations. But tomorrow, if I find a better camera to fit with my Leica-R lenses, who can choose freely better than me? I am free, I am happy... I just have to change the Leitax mount. Besides David LLaro lives nearby me..
What I like with my Leica-R lense is that I don't consider them out of fashion. Their quality is outstanding, overwhelming and outperforming the competition not because of their intrinsic skills but because of their quality compact design ratio!
Lastly, choose your focal lengths according to your needs. I work a lot with 28/50/90... If I had not Leica-R lenses, I should have worked with 31/43/77 Pentax lenses without any complexes...
Best regards.

Last edited by teiki arii; 01-16-2017 at 02:04 PM.
05-13-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Canon EOS 6D Mark II should arrive on July 2017..
05-13-2017, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

I would wait for the 6DmkII to arrive, around July/August and then decide. It will most likely have 24-28mp, good AF, tilt/flip screen, 4K video.

I have had both the K1 and the 5Dmk4 (still have 5D4) and my thoughts are as follows:

5Dmk4
- better AF performance
- more accurate AF
- better customisation of AF
- touch screen is gold
- great feel and robustness
- lens options better (in my view)
- better video (not a concern to you)
- better image quality (handheld with IS lenses) some of this is due to AF conistency
- high ISO is great.
- Live view autofocus is superb. I was in a Tuk Tuk in Cambodia, with the 35/2 IS mounted, handholding one hand out the window at 10pm at night. Live view AF was amazing on the people on motorbikes beside us. K1 cant do that.

K1
- better image quality (on Tripod)
- better tilt screen (canon has none)
- body quality is excellent
- AstroTacer is good
- IBIS is good. I found it to not be as good as lens based IS in canon. YMMV
- Pixel shift is amazing, for suitable subjects
- high ISO is great for 36MP
- better dynamic range sensor

I may actually purchase a K-1 again, exclusively for tripod use and get some modified Zeiss ZF.2/Milvus lenses for it.

You can't go wrong with either of the choices, both are good.