Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #61
Veteran Member

You are perfectly right: "You can't go wrong with either of the choices, both are good".

If you do not mind about price, go for Canon 5D Mark IV with AF versatile tools and excellent video skills (with the new firmware). If you have manual lenses, if you want a better dynamic sensor (36Mp>30Mp) with a better signal-to-noise ratio, if you are not a sport shooter (with autofocus lenses), if you don't mind about video, go for Pentax K-1.

And one thing more, the price:
- Pentax K-1: US$1900 D-BG6 Grip included (US$250 value)
- Canon 5D Mark IV: US$3300 body only and US$3650 with BG-E20 Battery Grip (US$350 value)

So, you can buy two Pentax K-1 for one Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, the Pentax camera being half the price of the Canon one.
About lenses, the problem is not real as you actually do not need all the focal lengths and even if it were the case, you actually can find what you desire in different brands at a very good price performance ratio. Therefore, it's a matter of cost then of needs or vice versa...

Last edited by teiki arii; 05-14-2017 at 12:49 AM.
05-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What exactly did the firmware update do?....there was lots of negativity directed at the video capability.
05-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Canon Explains Canon Log on the EOS 5D Mark IV
05-14-2017, 01:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What exactly did the firmware update do?....there was lots of negativity directed at the video capability.
Main thing was it enabled C-log for better dynamic range,plus a few other things.

05-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #65
Pentaxian

OK, thanks for that info.
05-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #66

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and additional input. To the extent anyone is interested, I did try the K-1 for a while and there is so much about the K-1 that I absolutely loved. I loved how it handled and the way the buttons are laid out. Even after years of being with Canon, the K-1 seemed very easy to learn (I was afraid it would take me forever to figure out). I loved the results I got, with one huge exception: its AF system just wasn't what I wanted/expected, even though many of you pointed out that its AF system wasn't stellar. While I enjoy landscape photography, I also do sports and animals photography. I thought I'd be happy with using the K-1 for all the things it's perfect for and keep my old 7D for sports and animals, but after having the K-1 for a couple of weeks, I wasn't truly happy with my decision. I knew from the get-go that switching systems (esp considering all the great Canon lenses I already have) wouldn't be the smartest decision. If money were no object, I would have kept the K-1 and also bought the 5dM4. :-) Anywho, after considering the pros and cons of both cameras for my way of shooting, I decided to return the K-1 and get the 5dM4 instead. I felt a bit silly because I so agonized over this decision before finally deciding to stay with Canon. Granted, the 5dM4 is much more camera than I've ever had and it'll take me a while to learn, but so far I love it and believe I made the right decision, and am having fun learning it. One thing I didn't think I really cared for/needed but that I now absolutely love on the Canon: its touchscreen. I guess this means I'll have to leave this awesome K-1 forum. To all who've responded to my post, you have helped me immensely and I'm very grateful. You Pentaxians rock! Thanks again and happy shooting everyone!
05-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Your decision is the best, according to your needs... Well done.

05-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karmaya Quote
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and additional input. To the extent anyone is interested, I did try the K-1 for a while and there is so much about the K-1 that I absolutely loved. I loved how it handled and the way the buttons are laid out. Even after years of being with Canon, the K-1 seemed very easy to learn (I was afraid it would take me forever to figure out). I loved the results I got, with one huge exception: its AF system just wasn't what I wanted/expected, even though many of you pointed out that its AF system wasn't stellar. While I enjoy landscape photography, I also do sports and animals photography. I thought I'd be happy with using the K-1 for all the things it's perfect for and keep my old 7D for sports and animals, but after having the K-1 for a couple of weeks, I wasn't truly happy with my decision. I knew from the get-go that switching systems (esp considering all the great Canon lenses I already have) wouldn't be the smartest decision. If money were no object, I would have kept the K-1 and also bought the 5dM4. :-) Anywho, after considering the pros and cons of both cameras for my way of shooting, I decided to return the K-1 and get the 5dM4 instead. I felt a bit silly because I so agonized over this decision before finally deciding to stay with Canon. Granted, the 5dM4 is much more camera than I've ever had and it'll take me a while to learn, but so far I love it and believe I made the right decision, and am having fun learning it. One thing I didn't think I really cared for/needed but that I now absolutely love on the Canon: its touchscreen. I guess this means I'll have to leave this awesome K-1 forum. To all who've responded to my post, you have helped me immensely and I'm very grateful. You Pentaxians rock! Thanks again and happy shooting everyone!
There is nothing else better than testing cameras (if it's posible) before buying. Internet and forums helps only to take a closer look on the things that others don't like at a camera/lens that you want to buy, that's all. I never buy something unless I test it.

5D Mark IV is superb and given the fact that you already have good Canon L lenses, I think you've made the right choice.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 05-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.
05-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karmaya Quote
Anywho, after considering the pros and cons of both cameras for my way of shooting, I decided to return the K-1 and get the 5dM4 instead. I felt a bit silly because I so agonized over this decision before finally deciding to stay with Canon.
It's good to share on Pentax forum. Thank you.