Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #1

Please help me decide on the Zeiss lens purchase

Recently I was tempted by the amazing photos from the combination of K1 and Distagon T* 28 f/2 posted here and on diglloyd.com.
Fortunately I found a Chinese seller willing to sell me a new copy of this lens at $1100. However, the easy accessibility also refrains me from buying immediately. if it is really a true legend, it should be in second-hand status only with insane prices.

For me the current equipment in possession includes K1, DFA 24-70 and DA* 300, and the main interest is in landscape and still life photography. Never touched a Zeiss before.
Below are my thoughts:
If it is only 15% - 25% optically superior to DFA 24-70, the purchase would never be justified. Personally I would not pay for a manual prime at the same price of the DFA but not obviously stronger.
So what truly can justify the purse would only be the "German favor". So the question is, can the Distagon really offer the favor worth giving a try?

Since ZK Distagon is already out of production, I could not rent one for evaluation. Besides, I'm not the "buy-dislike-and-sell" type of person. So guys, can you give me some advice while I am searching for more sample photos?

01-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the ZK T*28 f/2 that I use with my K-3. It is an excellent lens, great IQ but the focal length is particular. (The comment would different of course for a FF.) My ZK28 mm is in competition with my FA31mm and ZK35mm. Overall, I would say that I use most the FAS31mm, then the ZK35mm and last the ZK28mm.

In my case I have some special situation when I need to shoot MF with a fast lens about 28mm. For that usage, the ZK28mm is great. or more general applications including outdoor, I tend to prefer my FA31mm Ltd and then my ZK35mm.

I hope that the comment may help.
01-12-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you could wait and see what new FF lens pentax release soon. They have a wide angle prime scheduled for release this year and maybe announced at CP+ in Feburary. I am sure it will be good!
01-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Grognard
I found the quality of some Zeiss lenses exceptional. I've some very fine and detailed exposures made with the 28mm and the Contax G camera on film. As well I do prefer the old convertible Protar lens custom mounted on Pentax bellows for some situations. Than I have the Zeiss Jena 21mm (Zebra), which performs very well too. The Takumar 3.5 / 35mm (M42), which should be a copy of a Zeiss construction, I would consider as a good choice for your described use. You will be totally happy with it
Cheers
Eric

01-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks you guys! You are always so helpful. Yes, I would wait for the CP+ for a new DFA wide-angle prime!
01-12-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How firmly are you tied to the f2 aperture? By giving up a stop of light, Zeiss has an older lens - the Contax Zeiss 28/f2.8 T* Distagon, that can be remounted from the C/Y mount to the K mount. You can acquire the lens, acquire the remounting kit from Leitax.com and have the remount done (or do it yourself) for under $500.
01-12-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please review this thread on the SMC Pentax 1:2/28 "Poor Man's Distagon, which is identical to the classic Zeiss Distagon "Hollywood", predecessor to the T*. The SMC is worth your consideration @ $650-$850 if you can find it.

You can also use the Image Search Engine to review more photos with K28/2.

01-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
a5m
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this is a violation but I thought this may help the OP

Any 28mm F2 lens doesn't come around for sale too often. That goes double for the Zeiss 28s, and triple for the Pentax-K 28mm F2.

But your timing couldn't have been better, as there is a newer (non-Hollywood) Zeiss 28/2 Distagon T* for sale on the forum here.

Also the highly desirable and extremely rare Pentax-K 28mm F2 "Hollywood" designed by Zeiss with it's floating element here.

The Pentax-K 28mm F2 is a Zeiss lens in a Pentax outfit. This makes it one of the most desirable of all Pentax lenses. This is the one I'd get if I were you.

Check out the thread monochrome suggested and check out the reviews of that lens that also include sample images:

SMC Pentax 28mm F2
01-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

I spent about 6 months scavenging for the 28 Distagon in ZK mount with no success; especially not one under the $1000 mark. The Leitax kit has been super helpful in giving us ZK equivalents without the significant price hike, but it does take a fair amount of comfort with precise sanding to do correctly.

That first one looks like an awful good deal!
01-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grognard Quote
Recently I was tempted by the amazing photos from the combination of K1 and Distagon T* 28 f/2 posted here and on diglloyd.com.
Fortunately I found a Chinese seller willing to sell me a new copy of this lens at $1100. However, the easy accessibility also refrains me from buying immediately. if it is really a true legend, it should be in second-hand status only with insane prices.

For me the current equipment in possession includes K1, DFA 24-70 and DA* 300, and the main interest is in landscape and still life photography. Never touched a Zeiss before.
Below are my thoughts:
If it is only 15% - 25% optically superior to DFA 24-70, the purchase would never be justified. Personally I would not pay for a manual prime at the same price of the DFA but not obviously stronger.
So what truly can justify the purse would only be the "German favor". So the question is, can the Distagon really offer the favor worth giving a try?

Since ZK Distagon is already out of production, I could not rent one for evaluation. Besides, I'm not the "buy-dislike-and-sell" type of person. So guys, can you give me some advice while I am searching for more sample photos?
I own the Z28/2. I shoot it on a K1. I also have a K3 and find this lens is a different animal completely on the K3.

On my K1 I don't use this lens for "landscape work". Too much distortion. However, it performs marvelously with regards to isolating a subject at f/2 - f/2.8.
01-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

With your likes (landscape and still life) I honestly do not think you will see much a difference between the Zeiss and your 24-70.
I imagine you are shooting at f8-f13.
In my experience the Zeiss shines wide open with its sharp-to-unsharp transition. That is not to say it is not great at landscape apertures, i just that I do not think you will see your "15-25% optically superior" requirement.
01-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can also refer to this thread..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/227446-carl-zeiss-t-zk-mou...planar-41.html

most of the zeiss lens photos are there.
01-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fortunately I found a Chinese seller willing to sell me a new copy of this lens at $1100
With this price you should also consider the FA31mm, with AF, everything is easier the image & build quality is totally on par with the Zeiss
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
With your likes (landscape and still life) I honestly do not think you will see much a difference between the Zeiss and your 24-70. I imagine you are shooting at f8-f13. In my experience the Zeiss shines wide open with its sharp-to-unsharp transition. That is not to say it is not great at landscape apertures, i just that I do not think you will see your "15-25% optically superior" requirement.
voice of reason !!! if you shoot landscape the 24-70 is already plenty good enough