Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

K-1 Firmware as shipped

I'd been putting it off for a while, but took the plunge before Christmas & ordered a K-1 with 28-05mm from B&H. Long story, but just received it on January 12th. Haven't had a chance to get out with it yet but on setting it up I was surprised to see that the Firmware was version 1.0. Not a big problem as downloaded & updated to 1.40, but can't shake a 'niggling thought' that B&H sent me old stock - or worse, a return. Anybody received one with updated firmware?

01-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think they're continuing shipping with the initial firmware - despite new versions being available - as a standard procedure. It if's updated, that's done by the dealer.
01-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

Check the shot count. Use the tool on this site. I do no think they can alter that.
01-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by restlesssoul Quote
I'd been putting it off for a while, but took the plunge before Christmas & ordered a K-1 with 28-05mm from B&H. Long story, but just received it on January 12th. Haven't had a chance to get out with it yet but on setting it up I was surprised to see that the Firmware was version 1.0. Not a big problem as downloaded & updated to 1.40, but can't shake a 'niggling thought' that B&H sent me old stock - or worse, a return. Anybody received one with updated firmware?
Not uncommon at all for manufacturers to ship version 1.00 firmware for the entire life of the product.

01-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
My December K-1 also was 1.0 firmware

Also purchased from B&H. Also was surprised to see the new camera without the current firmware. But I was delighted at how easy it was to upgrade the firmware to the current version.

If all K-1s ship with v1.0 firmware as SOP, it's probably simply to keep costs (and prices) to a minimum. If that is the case, It would be a nice touch for Ricoh to put a little sticker or slip sheet in the box or user manual to advise a new purchaser to check for a firmware update. And it would be virtually cost free.

Don
01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax gear I have bought has had the initial firmware, even long after release.
01-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most software you purchase is the same way. Install it, register it and then check for updates. Not a big deal.

01-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted above, it is not unusual for cameras to carry the initial firmware version. OTOH, it is also not unusual for firmware version to be current to the date of manufacture. If one wants to know if their Pentax camera is "stale", the date of manufacture is part of the makernotes section of the EXIF, readable by a variety of available tools.

It might be good to note that there is a small secret in cameraland, that being that the number of production runs for a particular model of camera or lens may be VERY limited. It is quite likely that all of the current stock of K-1 bodies on dealer shelves are from the initial run.

Steve
01-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

Almost any electronics item that employs software needs updating out of the box, whether TV sets, computer OS, cameras. Some 'smart TV' sets update automatically once connected to the internet. The Pentax procedure is easy and painless, assuming you don't have to wait while you put a full charge on the camera battery.
01-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 came with the first cut too. It was far too buggy especially around showing previews of the shots take (SD card reads may be). They were very slow and did not always render and threw file read errors on the SD card (Sandisk 128GB U3 class 10 microsd) cards. I was about to return the SD card or the camera. But then I thought I need the FW upgrade any way.. so I did the upgrade (a piece of cake as long as you used a fully charged battery) and the issue with the SD cards disappeared. I was suspecting either the camera or the cards to be defective. Looks like the first cut firm ware had some bugs in it around the SD card image reads or did not support all the SD card I had.
Now it works as if nothing ever happened.
01-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Anybody received one with updated firmware?
When bought it in October, I had it with firmware 1.30 and switched it for 1.40...
01-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
All Pentax gear I have bought has had the initial firmware, even long after release.
Ditto, even my first, a MX !
01-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the same package from B&H before Christmas (arrived on 12/19, IIRC) - mine has version 1.0, as well. I haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

Jer
01-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where did you all find FW 1.4. I could only find 1.3 on the USA site (why am I not surprised?)
01-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where did you all find FW 1.4. I could only find 1.3 on the USA site (why am I not surprised?)
It *says* 1.3, but that link takes you to 1.4.