Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Focal length input - missing 80mm & 90mm

Hi there,
during the last two years I've been looking for the right replacement to my old Canon 40D. Fairly quickly I decided for Pentax (shake reduction with manual lenses, weather resistent bodies, good ergonomics, etc..). The harder part was deciding between K-3 II and K-1 and this changed several times. Finally I made a decision to buy K-1 have this "dream fulfilled" camera. So far I am more than happy with this new camera, even if this is just a beginning of our hopefully very long journey (DSLR for next 10+ years?).

At this moment there is only one thing that I find slightly annoying and I would like to know your opinion. I use only manual focus lenses, mostly short telephoto lenses (50-135mm with 90mm as most often used lens). I knew I can enter focal length for the shake reduction purposes. I find this input screen right after power on simply fantastic - now I can always identify my manual lenses in EXIF (there was nothing like that with Canon and is so unfriendly with Fujifilm). My slight disappointment is that there are no 80mm and 90mm values to identify two of my most used lenses. There is 85mm and 100mm, but I also have lenses of this exact focal length and therefore I won't be able to identify some of my lenses as easily as I would like to.

Are you missing 80 or 90mm in that menu (or other values)? Is there any chance of getting this value there in future FW update? Has anyone opened this with Ricoh?
I am also asking here because I did not find any easy way to ask Ricoh directly ...

Thanks!
S.

01-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the general consensus is that you should use the closest FL as long as it's less than the actual FL for the purposes of SR. It would be nice if they added a direct entry option, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I guess the only focal lengths that are accessible in that menu are the ones that Pentax have produced themselves. :-)
01-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunbird Quote
I find this input screen right after power on simply fantastic - now I can always identify my manual lenses in EXIF (there was nothing like that with Canon and is so unfriendly with Fujifilm). My slight disappointment is that there are no 80mm and 90mm values to identify two of my most used lenses. There is 85mm and 100mm, but I also have lenses of this exact focal length and therefore I won't be able to identify some of my lenses as easily as I would like to.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I too, wish there were more options and/or the ability to add lengths to the list (e.g. 58mm for my Helios 44M). For now, I pick the next length down and edit both the focal length and lens name using ExifTool prior to import to Lightroom.

Steve

01-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I guess the only focal lengths that are accessible in that menu are the ones that Pentax have produced themselves. :-)
Would be that this were true, but alas, it is not

There are holes...

Steve
01-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the general consensus is that you should use the closest FL as long as it's less than the actual FL for the purposes of SR. It would be nice if they added a direct entry option, though!
If you do the math, the closest focal length is the best choice even if it is higher than the true value.

Although picking a higher FL means the SR system "overcompensates" just a little, the net result is a more stable image than the one would get if one picked the lower FL that was farther away.
01-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I too, wish there were more options and/or the ability to add lengths to the list (e.g. 58mm for my Helios 44M). For now, I pick the next length down and edit both the focal length and lens name using ExifTool prior to import to Lightroom.

Steve
Thank you, Steve. The ability to make own list of lenghts sounds too good. Is SR so sensitive that it would make a difference if for 90mm lens is chosen either of 85mm or 100mm? I will check the ExifTool. I use Zoner Photo Studio for import from card, it can change these information, but unfortunately not in a batch.

01-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunbird Quote
Is SR so sensitive that it would make a difference if for 90mm lens is chosen either of 85mm or 100mm?
No, not in my experience.

Steve
01-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

With a summilux 80mm (leitax ring), i put it on 75mm....