Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 04:03 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Trick to save a lot of time with K1 and Pentax DSLR

Last week end I was accredited for shooting the Mozart cup of synchro ice skating. This is a major event of figure skating in Europe and so this year it took place in Salzburg Austria (for more information take a look here: Mozart Cup).

To be honest, I did not prepare much , I had the K1 and the DFA70-200; I thought I would give it a go, battery grip; and one spare battery; lens collar screw on a mono-pod. But, once I was there, I completely forgot to bring spare SD cards, so I had only 64Gb of free space.

Usually , I shot RAW in SD1 and I move keepers from SD1 to SD2. This way, I don't have to transfer so many shots to the computer before editing. But that time, SD2 got full quickly, so, I ran out of SD space until the camera said "Memory card full"... both cards were full to the point that it was not possible to take one more shot or to move anything.

So, I looked in the "write protect" stuff in the menus; and it said something like "All but write protected images will be deleted, format will delete all images". I took a couple of shots in a folder , write protected them and deleted the folder: magic, it worked as expected. I could cleanup the SD cards, keep the keepers; without having any space left.

Then I used this method. During breaks of ice surfacing (5 to 10 minutes), I had enough time to select correctly framed images and delete the rest to free up space for the next synchro skating session.

Perhaps many of you on PF were already using this "write protect" feature. But for me it was a discovery.

01-23-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice tip!

Congrats on getting accredited and those were some nice pictures you posted on the K-1 thread!

(I take all my old SD cards and leave them permanently sitting in my camera bags so I will always have some spare space. Admittedly that trick would only have provided another 4GB storage had I faced your situation, LOL!)
01-23-2017, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the grip you can leave one SDCard there, that's what I do with a spare 32Gb card just in case.
Thanks for the tip.
01-23-2017, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a great idea, thanks for the tip.

01-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Admittedly that trick would only have provided another 4GB storage had I faced your situation, LOL!
Thanks for the comment. Yes, correct, still remembering the first 2Gb SD cards used for the K200D, now on the K1, the same card is like a film roll of 36 pauses :-)

---------- Post added 24-01-17 at 07:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
If you have the grip you can leave one SDCard there, that's what I do with a spare 32Gb card just in case.
Yes,... too bad that I thought about it when I was on location... that when I realize that I'm not yet up to fully use the potential of the Pentax camera.
01-24-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing. I have not thought of this option to fast delete unwanted photos..
01-24-2017, 03:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

FYI, with a little engineering there is plenty of space for you to fit two memory cards in the grip. (Wish it was made that way since the camera uses two cards!)
Anyway, I just place a second card on top of the first, then fold a piece of tape from the bottom side of the card slot to hold a second card in place on top of the first. Just so it doesn't slide around.
So I've always got a complete spare set in my grip.

01-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great advice......I learn so much here...if only I could remember it! Loved your shots, excellent!

Regards!