Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The method of retrieving files form the K1 and FluCard to a desktop is monstrously frustrating. I have little need or desire to download to my phone.

So, I wrote a quick and dirty Python app that works on Mac (should work on Widows/Linux) to import Photos directly to a folder on your computer.
This way the K1 (and I have a version for FluCard) can work in a similar manner to the EyeFi cards with programs like LightRoom for auto-import.
Just connect the computer to the K1's (or FluCard's) Wifi network, run the Python code, and watch the images appear in LightRoom.
Yay!
You should consider outing it up on GitHub or as a gist, someone else might get some use out of it!

01-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
You should consider outing it up on GitHub or as a gist, someone else might get some use out of it!
I did. :-)

I have a couple of other posts here with links to it and I didn't want to re-post if there was no interest.
Warnings though... this is the first thing I ever put on GitHub and didn't really know what i was doing. The description text and such are a bit messed up. I think I'd have to check in a new version to fix those.
But the code is functional, regardless of my inept understanding of GitHub at the time. :-)

GitHub - amoringello/FluCardPro-AutoImport: Auto Import photos from the Ricoh FluCard Pro-1. Requires Python 2.7 with 'requests' module.

A caveat with the software: after about 500-600 images on the card, the import slows down and can hang a bit due to how I discover what needs to be downloaded. If it hangs in this condition, just CTRL-C and re-run. It recovers perfectly well. But it is suggested for now, that you swap out to use a fresh card if you're going to shoot an extended session and go much over 500 images.
I wrote the FluCard version first by winging it. I then converted that use the K1 APIs. But the K1 has some newer and better APIs that found later and I plan to make use of at some point -- these should help eliminate the slowdown/hang issue for the K1.
01-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Kind of hokey for Windows
Downloads for both x86 and x86-64 are available:

Python Release Python 3.6.0 | Python.org

Steve
01-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Downloads for both x86 and x86-64 are available:
Python Release Python 3.6.0 | Python.org

Steve
Just note that Python 3.x is not always fully compatible with Python 2.x.
If Python 3 does not work, you may have to install Python 2.7.3 (latest available at the moment, I believe).
If you're installing Python for the first time, just get v2.7 and avoid potential hassles. :-(

01-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because asking here is usually faster than doing research.
So Norm, I use this feature extensively while working for the local newspaper for quickly* downloading photos onto my phone, making minor edits, then emailing them for uploading to their internal database ready for printing, it usually works like this:

*note, though I shoot in DNG, I develop in camera to 12mp still for smaller file sizes and faster download/upload speed

Step 1) Rotate multi function dial to 'WIFI' setting, toggle on with the third control dial. This allows the camera to broadcast a WIFI network, essentially working as a modem for any devices connecting to the camera.

Step 2) (On Android) Activate WIFI setting on phone, connect to Pentax K1 WIFI Network (Requires a passcode which can be found in the K1 menu)

Step 3) Boot Ricoh Image Transmitter software on phone, browse photos and download them to the phone gallery/camera roll

Step 4) Edit photos in software (Generally Google Snapseed)

Step 5) Email photos to the newspaper

I find that this method allows me to run a lighter setup, as a tablet/laptop adds considerable weight to an already heavy bag (K1, K3ii, DFA 24-70, DFA* 70-200 & Tam AF 300 2.8), whilst still retaining excellent picture quality. YMMV of course
02-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The K1 wifi is painfully slow. Do a search here on "wifi" and you will find some threads. For some reason the Pentax implementation runs at something like 1/100 of the speed it should run at. It is ok for a situation where you have only the K1, your phone, nothing else, and you need to email somebody a pic which is only on the K1. Or maybe other situations.

I started a thread here asking whether anyone would be interested in a bit of software (running on a computer with wifi) which would detect when you walk into your house and transfer the photos off the K1 to some device on the network. But the extremely low speed of the K1 wifi would make it unusable.
02-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,
I do extensively...I have two of the newer EyeFi cards which I use instead of the internal Wifi for a few reasons.
1. I worked with one of the developers and, to be honest, the internal wifi speeds could never compare with the speed of the EyeFi cards
2. The EyeFi software was more geared to doing this in the background (well mostly)...

Here's my process:
1. Shoot in DNG.
2. I have an IPAD that will automatically pick up the wifi signal if I'm out of the house.
3. The EyeFi app must be started so that it notices that you are connected to the EyeFi wifi. PITA but this is a must do otherwise, your pictures won't download.
a. I did say I shoot in DNG and the upload to the EyeFi cards can take some time depending on how many images you shot.
b. Most of the time, by the time I reach home, the IPAD has downloaded most of my new images.
4. On my IPAD I also have the LR app running which will notice that new photos are stored locally. So LR picks them up and puts them into my catalog and gets ready to send them to the cloud.
5. LR on the IPAD is setup to only upload while on WIFI. So once I get home, the process of uploading them to the Adobe cloud begins in the background.
6. I normally sit down, turn on the TV and start to fiddle with the images on the IPAD. Rating/cropping/modifying images to my liking.
7. By the time I get to my computer later that evening or within the next day or so, LR on my system has the most current images along with what ever changes I've made.

NOTE: You can use your phone instead of an IPAD to do the receiving/editing. I was doing so until I got my new IPAD.
NOTE *: I'm sorry, but the Pentax software/process for downloading images stinks. I hope with Ricoh's purchase of Eyefi that they'll internalize the apps/wifi functionality into future hardware upgrades.
NOTE **: I went to suggest to someone that they pick up a new EyeFi card. The site now sends you to Amazon to purchase a Toshiba FlashAir card. I don't know what that means for functionality....

Regards,