Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 02:11 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1, Rokinon 24mm Tilt Shift: Abraham Lake Alberta

These 2 photos are from last week at Abraham Lake Alberta in the Rockies which is known for ice bubbles due to methane emissions. The ice is clear of snow due to high winds in area. The 24mm tilt/shift was shot at f11 with 3 deg of tilt. This lens appears to be best at f8-f11 which is why it was stopped down so much.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting and well taken shots.
01-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent images, especially that first one with:
1. the "peak" in the bubble field touching the reflection of the peak of the mountain
2. a pleasing, multi-layer composition with just the right demarcation and spacing between each visual element.
3. the counterpoint of the warm-highlights on the mountain and cold highlights of the bubbles' colors
4. the positioning of the mountain on the left with mountain "looking" to the right, across the frame toward the sun.

I'd love to hear more about your technique, especially how you set the angle of the camera, tilt of the lens, and focus of the lens to get the best foreground-to-background focus. Do you: 1) precompute focal plane and lens angles using the Scheimpflug principle; 2) set the lens "halfway" between ∞ and the foreground distance and then tilt camera and lens to suit; or 3) iterate with focus peaking and pushing a zoomed live-view window to check focus across the frame?
01-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful pictures. I've been there in the summer years ago, but never have had the opportunity to see it in the winter, another place for the list of places I want to go to. Thanks for sharing.

01-27-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes I used Scheimpflug principle to set focus. Using Live View, I tested tilt angles affect on focal plane and used manual focus to get focus on foreground to background. Once deg tilt was found, then used it for a series of shots and just checked focus.