Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adapting shift lenses for PK

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The K-1 brought a new wave of excitement to my photographic life.
Now i can finally use my vintage wide angle's the way they were intended for!
One is the Arsat 35mm shift.
Unfortunately 35mm is too short a focal in many situations.
I'd prefer a 24mm, or at least a 28mm.
The old SMC Pentax 3,5/28mm shift is not easy to find nor cheap.
There is much more choice in other (now defunct) mounts. Like Olympus OM or Canon FD.
Adapting a lens that has just a simple bayonet, no mechanical/electric connession with the camera, should be quite easy.
The difference in register could be compensated removing material or shimming.
Do you either have made such adaptation, or seen lenses (shift or tilt-shift) that were successfully adapted to PK?
Any suggestion?

cheers
Paolo

01-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do know Samyang makes a 24mm tilt shift? But it works best with a K-01. The Pentax overhang inhibits upward shift.
01-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the Olympus OM lenses, they have a ever so slightly longer registration distance - 46mm vs the K's 45.46mm. With such a small amount of room to play with, I would consider the Leitax mount kit, since the CNC machined replacement mount would have all the compensations included.I did a quick look for Olympus OM Tilt/Shift lenses, but they are running $750 - but at least they tilt, rather than just shift....I would think that the same would hold true for the Canon F mount since it is a bit longer than the Olympus OM registration distance. I don't see Canon F T/S lenses being any cheaper.

01-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do know Samyang makes a 24mm tilt shift? But it works best with a K-01. The Pentax overhang inhibits upward shift.
For some bodies but not all. For example, this is an issue with the K10D but not the K-5. (Those are the only two DSLR bodies I've tried this on.)

01-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
For some bodies but not all. For example, this is an issue with the K10D but not the K-5. (Those are the only two DSLR bodies I've tried this on.)
Of course i'm aware of the Samyang.
Nice lens. I'm very happy with the 85mm and the 14mm.
Unfortunately it's almost impossible to be found second hand, and i'm not ready to pay the price it costs new.
Regarding vintage shift/tilt-shift lenses, i know that the requested prices are not super affordable either, but with some patience (and time!) it's not impossible to find a good deal.
Unfortunately after the release of Sony full frame mirrorless cameras this kind of lenses have become very desirable...
I'm glad i bought a pristine copy of PC Arsat 35mm when the price was about a half of the current market price.
In a way, i bet on "Pentax FF: YES" when common sense would have given a different advice.
Not much use for a shifting 35mm on APS-C....

cheers

P
01-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
For the Olympus OM lenses, they have a ever so slightly longer registration distance - 46mm vs the K's 45.46mm. With such a small amount of room to play with, I would consider the Leitax mount kit, since the CNC machined replacement mount would have all the compensations included.I did a quick look for Olympus OM Tilt/Shift lenses, but they are running $750 - but at least they tilt, rather than just shift....I would think that the same would hold true for the Canon F mount since it is a bit longer than the Olympus OM registration distance. I don't see Canon F T/S lenses being any cheaper.

Canon F? Did you mean Nikon F? Those will fit on Pentax if they are pre aI and don't hit the mirror.

Canon FL, FD, and FDn are shorter than K mount preventing infinity focus from working.
01-29-2017, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Canon F? Did you mean Nikon F? Those will fit on Pentax if they are pre aI and don't hit the mirror.

Canon FL, FD, and FDn are shorter than K mount preventing infinity focus from working.
Yes, you are correct - I had verified the Olympus OM items and was about to hit "post", then decided to touch on the Canon mount being too short and looked on the chart and saw "F" and for some reason associated that with Canon. But the prices of both the tilt/shift in these mounts is pretty expensive, regardless. That's what I get for posting when I just get up for a glass of water. Now, at least I've had a couple of cups of coffee....

01-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the Pentax sensor shift tilt and shift is less needed anyway.
01-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No it is certainly not. The amount of sensor shift is for fine tuning only. Or creating ~4:3 stitch panorama image with up/down shift. Missing modern T/S options are very bad thing as they certainly would pair nicely with pixel shift for detailed interior work. And there is no way to do tilting with the sensor adjustment feature, this would be superior feature and give huge benefits if it was so.

I asked Mirex if their T/S adapter would be suitable to use with K-1 in last July and they mailed me in November that they have updated the PK mount version so that the pentaprism housing should not interfere too much. Still, certain movements cannot be done with it.

Mirex reply was as follows (when I asked Pentax 645 lens compatibility):

"now we have a revised version that can be also attached at your Pentax K1 camera.
The limitations of the flash/prism housing remain.
That means that the tilt/shift is only left/right/down possible.

Please take into account:
The used Pentax 645 lenses should be manually operable. (aperture/focussing)
The TS-Adapter is conceived for lenses of 35 to approx. 120mm focal lenght.
(They can attach also longer focal lenghts. These lenses should, however, be
fastened on a tripod because of the high weight).

Possible adjustments, Mirex-Tilt-Shift-Adapter for Pentax 645 lenses
- tilt 10° (one direction)
- shift 15mm, with scale (eithe direction)
- rotation 360°, 22,5° lock in positions-unlockable,
incl. tripod plate. The tripod plate can be screwed on / unscrewed when
required."

Ricoh should revamp the 645Z concept in a way that 645-mount is left but sensor would be "FF" size with 4:3 ratio. It should have 15-20mm of movement in all directions with sensor shift. This would be a killer feature for many applications. Pixel Shift exposures already walk over 645Z quality when done correctly.

Last edited by MJKoski; 01-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.
01-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shift info:
How to Turn Any Lens into a Shift Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

No tilt.
01-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
RJH

Is there some reason that no-one has mentioned the Arax shift adapter for Pentacon six lenses? Anyone have any experience with this combination?

01-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find tilt more useful than shift, as it is possible in PP to correct some perspective distortion although images done this way don't look quite the same as those taken with a shift lens. However it is not possible to get the DOF provided by correct use of a tilt lens no matter what you do in PP. I had a 28mm Pentax shift for use on my LX and other Pentax bodies. It is a BEAST of a lens. The Canon 24mm TSS I had, together with a Canon body, was smaller, easier to use, more versatile, and had better IQ than the Pentax.
01-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
RJH

QuoteOriginally posted by RJH Quote
Is there some reason that no-one has mentioned the Arax shift adapter for Pentacon six lenses? Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Scratch that, I see that the shortest focal length will be quite long.

01-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RJH Quote
Scratch that, I see that the shortest focal length will be quite long.
The two shortest focals are 45mm and 50mm. A bit too short for architecture photography, and probably for any other use that would benefit from a shifting optic.
Tilt adapters could be more useful for tablet/product photography, even using not-so-short focals.
Personally I own a shift adapter, tried to use it with a Zenithar fisheye de-fished in software... not a great success, I eventually sold the lens
I had bought it for a Pentax 6x7 conversion, but it proved too complicated.
In hindsight, I should have bought the tilting adapter, which is as cheap as the shifting one...
Unfortunately the very nice tilt/shift adapter made by Arsat is quite expensive, but is a nice work of precision mechanic.
Even more appealing is the Super Rotator lens, that I've seen on Ebay a few times, but even second hand is not exactly cheap

Cheers
Paolo

01-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The Pentax K 28mm f3.5 Shift isn't, as previously mentioned, redily available nor cheap, but it does work well with the K1. No problem with protruding parts and no overhang or hangover after use, at least not because of the lens.

Kjell