Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

K1 inside strange noise

Hi all,

It's probably stupid but that's the issue: I did something, don't know what, while playing around with the menu functions, and now I hear a very discrete noise/sound inside the body every time I press AF button or half press the release button.
Some clarifications: I use the back AF button for focusing; the sound is present only when I press any of these two buttons, the sound/noise is hard to be described, however, is like a very quiet internal focusing, it last for about 3 seconds, it's a very distinct (in silent environment, of course) start and end moment, it's very similar with the internal sound occurring while LV is On, like a little tiny fan is spinning, suddenly starts and stops. That's my best description of the issue.
This issue started today, it was not present until now, again, I really don't know what I changed in settings (if I really did so), it's present on any shooting modes, with any lens, with or without lens, with or without SR, in any possible situation, name it.....
Any ideas?

(LE: I posted here, if is more suitable for "Troubleshooting" section, please moderators move it there)

01-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's SR. Even if it's off, it still needs to keep the sensor centered.
01-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
It's SR. Even if it's off, it still needs to keep the sensor centered.
Giklab, thanks but I don't think so! First, this sound occurred just today, second, on the other body I have, K3, that's no such issue. Finally, what do you mean, even if it's off... if it's off...it's off, that's it!
01-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are probably hearing the SR activating.

Steve

01-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

SR for sure.
01-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Again, it's no difference if SR is OFF! No such sound on K3. Nothing like this until this morning!
01-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

It is the SR. Maybe you should read the instructions.

01-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sorins Quote
Again, it's no difference if SR is OFF! No such sound on K3. Nothing like this until this morning!
That's normal when you pay attention to it. I have a K1, that's what it does , there's nothing wrong.
01-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DutchGonzo Quote
It is the SR. Maybe you should read the instructions.
Could someone please explain, how can be SR, when SR is OFF?? DutchGonzo, please, I did read instructions, believe me! Do you have a K1? Do you have a camera with SR and it makes same noise?
01-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In fact it rattles more when the camera is off. Power up and the noise is reduced. Rotating and you can here the SR mechanism moving. Did the same on k3 only quieter - I assume as it's smaller unit
01-29-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's normal when you pay attention to it. I have a K1, that's what it does , there's nothing wrong.
So, all my knowledge about what an "Off" means for a function is completely upside-down
OK, I'll try to live with this, now that I've noticed it!
Sorry for my stubbornness and doubts about your explanations!
Thank you all!
01-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sorins Quote
So, all my knowledge about what an "Off" means for a function is completely upside-down OK, I'll try to live with this, now that I've noticed it! Sorry for my stubbornness and doubts about your explanations! Thank you all!
Well, the SR is never fully Off except when the camera is in standby mode. The image sensor is floating on a plate to allow motion compensation done by the SR servo function. When you set SR ON, the sensor is moved on its plate in order to compensate for camera motion. That consume battery power , that is why even when the SR is set to On, it is not running all the time but only before shooting. However, when you set SR OFF, the sensor still needs to be centered and fixed on its plate, that's done via activation of the coils that are also used by the SR mechanism, and that's the noise you hear when you use LV or , if you don't use LV, you hear the noise when the AE sensor is activated i.e before the shot. When you let the camera is standby, and press the shutter button that start the AE metering again, you hear the SR noise again, even if SR if set to Off because the image sensor is being fixed in the center of the frame. Try it out , see if it makes sense.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-29-2017 at 12:31 PM.
01-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, the SR is never fully Off except when the camera is in standby mode. The image sensor is floating on a plate to allow motion compensation done by the SR servo function. When you set SR ON, the sensor is moved on its plate in order to compensate for camera motion. That consume battery power , that is why even when the SR is set to On, it is not running all the time but only before shooting. However, when you set SR OFF, the sensor still needs to be centered and fixed on its plate, that's done via activation of the coils that are also used by the SR mechanism, and that's the noise you hear when you use LV or , if you don't use LV, you hear the noise when the AE sensor is activated i.e before the shot. When you let the camera is standby, and press the shutter button that start the AE metering again, you hear the SR noise again, even if SR if set to Off because the image sensor is being fixed in the center of the frame. Try it out , see if it makes sense.
Thanks for detailing, no use to try for what you said as this is exactly what I encountered, word by word!
01-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what AE has to do with it, but thanks for taking the time to give a detailed explanation of the dynamics of the SR system and why the sound is not something to worry about.

Steve
01-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't know what AE has to do with it
Looks like the SR noise is switched On/Off at the same time as the AE sensing (that's what I could notice).