Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 01:28 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
the build quality on the 5d is VERY plasticy and feels cheap.
I have to disagree with this statement. It may feel cheap, but remember that 5D series are the workhorse cameras for a lot of PRO's and have shown over the years that it can face to some pretty big abuses. After all, even Pentax will not cover the guarantee if the damage involves water or something similar. Nevertheless , it's true that on entry level and mid range cameras Pentax has a clear advantage over Canon/Nikon in terms of built quality, but the flagship cameras from Canon/Nikon are built as tough as Pentax cameras.

even their L series lenses feel very plasticy.
Take a look at how "fragile" is the 35mm f1.4L lens for example.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/

i'm sure they are capable of taking beautiful pictures.
There are 3 pillars that will differentiate an ordinary image from an gorgeous one:
1. the subject
2. the background
3. the quality of light

The photographer's skills to combine these 3 pillars are more important than what lens is mounted on the camera. I saw some gorgeous portraits taken by some russian photographers with an ordinary lens (Canon cheap 85mm f1.8) and I also saw a lot less impressive images taken on the same girl, in the same shooting session, with a 85mm f1.2L lens. Why? Because the photographer with the cheap lens succeded to combine those 3 pillars that I mentioned above in a way that the other photographer couldn't.

We only guess here which system is best for the OP and nothing more. Cameras are tools and if our income comes from photography, then the only viable option I see in order to have a good night sleep after a big investment in gear is to rent the camera and lenses in which we are going to invest. For some, K1 can be the best full frame camera in the world (especially if we talk to a landscape photographer), for others a 5D Mark IV, a D750, D500 or a Fuji X-T2 can be the best camera for their needs...

For the current price, K1 is a superb camera and this is an undisputed fact. But those lenses which the OP already has, especially the 16-35mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L macro and 135mm f2L are gorgeous.

02-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
There are 3 pillars that will differentiate an ordinary image from an gorgeous one:
1. the subject
2. the background
3. the quality of light

The photographer's skills to combine these 3 pillars are more important than what lens is mounted on the camera. I saw some gorgeous portraits taken by some russian photographers with an ordinary lens (Canon cheap 85mm f1.8) and I also saw a lot less impressive images taken on the same girl, in the same shooting session, with a 85mm f1.2L lens. Why? Because the photographer with the cheap lens succeded to combine those 3 pillars that I mentioned above in a way that the other photographer couldn't.

We only guess here which system is best for the OP and nothing more. Cameras are tools and if our income comes from photography, then the only viable option I see in order to have a good night sleep after a big investment in gear is to rent the camera and lenses in which we are going to invest. For some, K1 can be the best full frame camera in the world (especially if we talk to a landscape photographer), for others a 5D Mark IV, a D750, D500 or a Fuji X-T2 can be the best camera for their needs...

For the current price, K1 is a superb camera and this is an undisputed fact. But those lenses which the OP already has, especially the 16-35mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L macro and 135mm f2L are gorgeous.
Great comment. I can safely say that the potential of the 6D still massively outweighs my ability, but hell - we can't help but be attracted to shiny new cameras.

I guess it's the last comment on the glass that's holding me back - I can't help but be attracted to the total price of a K-1 ecosystem, but my beloved 135mm is a lens I just can't see me living without. Looks like I'll have to pay through the nose for the 5D IV...
02-01-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

I have to disagree with this statement. It may feel cheap, but remember that 5D series are the workhorse cameras for a lot of PRO's and have shown over the years that it can face to some pretty big abuses. After all, even Pentax will not cover the guarantee if the damage involves water or something similar. Nevertheless , it's true that on entry level and mid range cameras Pentax has a clear advantage over Canon/Nikon in terms of built quality, but the flagship cameras from Canon/Nikon are built as tough as Pentax cameras.

Take a look at how "fragile" is the 35mm f1.4L lens for example.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/

1. the subject
2. the background
3. the quality of light

i'm not denying any of that. my comment was merely an observation of the way that camera feels in my hands. the camera is spectacular, with out a doubt. but if i hadn't known any better, ie, i was a noob, and i was picking the 5dm3 right after the k1, id say that the k1 feels more substantial and better built.

can the 5d series hold up to abuse? its history and legacy speaks louder than words. can the k1 hold up to the abuse? sure it can. yet the canon 'feels' cheaper and plasticy. has nothing to do with the way it takes pictures.

same goes for the lens. are they built like tanks? sure. do they feel like plasticy? sure they do.
02-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
can the 5d series hold up to abuse?
I saw a youtube where the people on assignment were using a couple of 5dmk3s and a couple of GH4s(video). An incident occurred where all the cameras copped some water incident.Both Canons stopped operating and were dead after a prolonged drying out period.The Panasonics just kept operating like normal.

I trust the Pentax weather sealing but wouldn't go near a Canon.

02-02-2017, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I saw a youtube where the people on assignment were using a couple of 5dmk3s and a couple of GH4s(video). An incident occurred where all the cameras copped some water incident.Both Canons stopped operating and were dead after a prolonged drying out period.The Panasonics just kept operating like normal.

I trust the Pentax weather sealing but wouldn't go near a Canon.
That's why I love forums and internet in general. People see some videos or some "reviews" and immediately jumps with conclusions, without even touch those cameras or knowing the circumstances in which those cameras stopped working. I also had once a DA21mm Limited on my K-5 II and I was close to broke my camera on a rainy day because I thought the combo will handle the rain. Well, it didn't. I was lucky enough (or inspired) and replaced the 21mm lens with the kit lens in order to keep shooting.

Don't worry, it's not just you with this preconceptions (although I don't know if this is the right word since I don't intend to offend you in any way). On Canon forum it's pretty much the same. There are some people who never put their hands on a K1, but they are the first ones who come with a comment like yours, saying that they wouldn't go near a K1's because of its tracking capabilities which are almost non existing. And if you ask them how they get to this conclusion, the answer is something like: I saw the review done by DPreview and K1 couldn't track a bike.

Why do you think I always recommend to people who want to invest in a new system to rent cameras and lenses before buying? There is too much "crap" on the internet these days and testing for a few days a system can solve a lot of uncertainties.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-02-2017 at 03:23 AM.
02-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's why I love forums and internet in general. People see some videos or some "reviews" and immediately jumps with conclusions, without even touch those cameras or knowing the circumstances in which those cameras stopped working. I also had once a DA21mm Limited on my K-5 II and I was close to broke my camera on a rainy day because I thought the combo will handle the rain. Well, it didn't. I was lucky enough (or inspired) and replaced the 21mm lens with the kit lens in order to keep shooting.

Don't worry, it's not just you with this preconceptions (although I don't know if this is the right word since I don't intend to offend you in any way). On Canon forum it's pretty much the same. There are some people who never put their hands on a K1, but they are the first ones who come with a comment like yours, saying that they wouldn't go near a K1's because of its tracking capabilities which are almost non existing. And if you ask them how they get to this conclusion, the answer is something like: I saw the review done by DPreview and K1 couldn't track a bike.

Why do you think I always recommend to people who want to invest in a new system to rent cameras and lenses before buying? There is too much "crap" on the internet these days and testing for a few days a system can solve a lot of uncertainties.
I think if I rented every camera system that might be right for me, I wouldn't have the money to buy any of them.
02-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I think if I rented every camera system that might be right for me, I wouldn't have the money to buy any of them.
Choosing a system is not that difficult when you know at least the basics in terms of photography. Before renting you have to look for:

- overall price of the cameras and lenses from each system (in your country preferably)
- the level of support you're going to get after (service, renting posibilities, etc.)
- second hand market
- third party support (flashes, lenses, etc.); although I'm not a fan of DXO, Sigma 85mm Art just got the highest score on DXO for example
- available cameras and lenses for the type of photography you do. Like others said, if you are a sport photographer or if you also want to cover the video part, Pentax may not be the best system for you. If you are a landscape photographer, then Pentax may be one of the best choices for the money; and so on...

It could be worse than renting. There is a guy here (the one with Youtube channel) who's changing his system once a year without renting (he had Nikon, then he came to Pentax, after Pentax he invested in Canon, then back to Pentax, and then he went to Fuji and now he's bought a K1...).

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-03-2017 at 12:37 AM.
02-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noggin2k1 Quote
(...) but my beloved 135mm is a lens I just can't see me living without.
Do you autofocus, or manual focus with this lens?
If you autofocus, there is no equivalent in K-mount.
If you manual focus, then the Samyang is generally thought to be better than the Canon (but of course, what "better" means depends on who says it).
Note that the Samyang is not weather sealed, while the Canon has seals.
02-03-2017, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

This thread is the reason why I love this forum and its members! Noone posted in here some thoughtless words trying to make the OP to jump to Pentax!

You have to make up your mind but to sum it up and tell you my opinion I would buy the K-1 if I were you. So simple and I think you will love it even if you go on with 2 systems in your future...

PS: this guilty silence in here is from Pentaxians that caress their K-1s as we "speak" and hold the secret of her magic for themselves! Pentaxians are a strange caste of people!
02-03-2017, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
This thread is the reason why I love this forum and its members! Noone posted in here some thoughtless words trying to make the OP to jump to Pentax!
I know.

Angry accusations of Pentaxians as a species being parochial are laughable.

My experience is that all jokes aside, the forum is an amazing resource with a bunch of sceptical, knowledgeable, talented and likeable people.

Last edited by clackers; 02-03-2017 at 05:44 AM.
02-03-2017, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote

You have to make up your mind but to sum it up and tell you my opinion I would buy the K-1 if I were you. So simple and I think you will love it even if you go on with 2 systems in your future...

PS: this guilty silence in here is from Pentaxians that caress their K-1s as we "speak" and hold the secret of her magic for themselves! Pentaxians are a strange caste of people!
10000% agree with this - I've posted in a few manufacturer forums, and it's the only one where the posters have offered well rounded input, and not just tried to endlessly flog their preferred brand.

The 2x systems is something I've already thought about. I've had a few people ask about weddings. Putting the 5D IV & fast primes to one side a second - the 24-105 f4 would be too soft for weddings. Trading that lens in for the Canon 24-70 2.8 ii, would work out roughly the same cost as trading in the lens & 6D (second body) for K-1 & 24-70 2.8.

Would the K-1 make a better second body than the 6D? Damn right it would! I'd go as far as saying it'd probably be the main body for everything other than low light work at weddings!!
02-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would the K-1 make a better second body than the 6D? Damn right it would! I'd go as far as saying it'd probably be the main body for everything other than low light work at weddings!!
Never take pixel shifted images of the wedding vows though. Best they be a bit blurry down the road.
02-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #28
Pentaxian

What marketing calls a "system" is actually a prison of incompatibility for consumers intended to narrow down your perspective on photography tools. This is *only* built by manufacturers to extract more money from you than you would if you could decide freely.

Buying into a second system - if you can afford it - will broaden your perspective. You'll enjoy certain things even more on your Canon where Pentax is worse and you'll learn to enjoy other items on the Pentax where Canon is far behind. And you get back more choice/freedom.
02-07-2017, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #29

I swapped my 6D with a 24-105mm F4 out for a K1 with the 24-70mm.

I've been really really pleased so far, the low light blows the 6D out of the water and the sensor stabilisation is fantastic, being able to shoot 2 second shots handheld and get away with it is a really great for someone who is primarily walking around with their camera.
I'd never had anything beyond Canon before and the switch to the pentax has been really painless from a usability point or view, having 2 scroll/click wheels , one for shutter speed and one for aperture is a really welcome upgrade. I really like the other dial that lets you allocate another setting to a 3rd wheel is nice too.

Want a dial specifically for EV compensation, then you've got one. Want a wheel for bracketing, easy. or maybe you just want a dedicated wheel for ISO. That's there too.

There are loads of really nifty settings that I really enjoy which I didn't have before. If you use auto ISO (I don't know if that's frowned upon or not) then being able to set it to prioritise slightly higher ISO or lower slower numbers is nice too.
Likewise being able to prioritise a quick release for autofocus or a more accurate focus lock is great depending on what you are doing is a great new option for me, especially when I'm working in lower light with larger apertures where perhaps focus is a little more critical.

I've just bought an old AF lens on ebay for next to nothing to see how it fairs with the built in image stabilisers, I'm quite excited by that too.
02-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EvilBoris Quote
I swapped my 6D with a 24-105mm F4 out for a K1 with the 24-70mm.

I've been really really pleased so far, the low light blows the 6D out of the water and the sensor stabilisation is fantastic, being able to shoot 2 second shots handheld and get away with it is a really great for someone who is primarily walking around with their camera.
I'd never had anything beyond Canon before and the switch to the pentax has been really painless from a usability point or view, having 2 scroll/click wheels , one for shutter speed and one for aperture is a really welcome upgrade. I really like the other dial that lets you allocate another setting to a 3rd wheel is nice too.

Want a dial specifically for EV compensation, then you've got one. Want a wheel for bracketing, easy. or maybe you just want a dedicated wheel for ISO. That's there too.

There are loads of really nifty settings that I really enjoy which I didn't have before. If you use auto ISO (I don't know if that's frowned upon or not) then being able to set it to prioritise slightly higher ISO or lower slower numbers is nice too.
Likewise being able to prioritise a quick release for autofocus or a more accurate focus lock is great depending on what you are doing is a great new option for me, especially when I'm working in lower light with larger apertures where perhaps focus is a little more critical.

I've just bought an old AF lens on ebay for next to nothing to see how it fairs with the built in image stabilisers, I'm quite excited by that too.
Welcome to the world of Pentax my friend! I'm (and I was) sure you will love your K-1, it's a wonderful camera!