Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The K-1 in crop mode didn't give me any more resolution than my K-5II.
Not in APS-c crop, but in square crop or if you crop manually?

01-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like many of the others here, I had lots of older film lenses going back to the '70s and used film beyond the time it ceased to be convenient in part to get the original views from those lenses I missed. There are also some digital lenses that worked on film pretty well, some of them surprisingly so. The way the K1 operates is somewhat different from the earlier bodies, and I find that pretty cool; however, I, personally, would never have justified the extra cost of the K1 if I hadn't owned a bunch of FF lenses or were not intending to buy them.

Combining what a couple of folks have said already, just the DFA 28-105 plus one of the inexpensive primes such as the DA 50/35 will give you the full enjoyment of the format, for a total of only about $600 more than the body, alone. If you are on the fence, that is a way to go. My traveling light kit with the K1 is the DFA 28-105, a prime somewhere between 31mm and 100mm and my old M20/4. I am fine with that combo most of the time.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-30-2017 at 07:00 AM.
01-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I currently own only APS-C lenses. I've been thinking about getting
a k-1 body maybe when the prices drop a little. I don't want to use
the crop mode, because that just seems to defeat the purpose.
Is it worth buying the K-1 body using only APS-C lenses? What will
the photos look like using the APS-C lenses in FF mode? Would I
be better off buying a K-3 until I am ready to make an investment in
FF lenses?
No need for FF imo, especially if you have no FF lenses. I have some FF compatible lenses but still don't feel the need to get into FF. Will I be better photographer with K-1? Definitely NO, why should it? The equipment bag will definitely be heavier and that is unacceptable. Is K-1 a more capable camera? Yes, but only marginal imo based on my brief experience with a Nikon D800. I upgraded to K-3II for the pixel shift technology and it satisfies all of my photographic requirements.
01-30-2017, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I therefore think that it might be a better idea to go for the K-3 II, KP, or whatever comes next within APS-C. You can always trade up to FF once you're ready to go all-in
It's not wise to disagree with the Head Honcho, but no one ever accused me of being all that wise......I had a K5IIs and loved it..wonderful camera. It was damaged in a freaky accident and I ended up with the K1 (Thank you Mrs Rupert!)

I have mostly APS-C lenses and a few very nice FF lenses. Still, I shoot mostly in the K1 Crop Mode and love ever second of shooting in that mode. My Bigma 50-500 is a FF lens yet I don't think I have shot over a couple of shots with it in the FF mode. The Crop Mode is fantastic! AF is sure and fast and when that crop frame lights up in bright red you have focus (almost instantly) and you get exactly what you see in the frame.Wonderful for wildlife shooting!
If for some reason, maybe portraits or landscapes I would desire a FF camera, I just make a fast turn of a control knob and can shoot FF...two cameras in one...yet I (Well, Mrs Rupert!) only paid for one camera...and got two! No need to wonder about FF when you can own it and still shoot in APS-C at any time.

I realize there are other arguments with validity.....but for me this is the perfect camera for any lens I own. I don't need to carry two cameras ...the K1 is all I need!

Regards!

01-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Comparing the K-1 to K-3ii, the K-3 is superior for long telephoto and action, while the K-1 excels at landscapes, portraits, wide angle, and low light. The K-1 costs roughly double what the K-3ii costs, and then you might need new lenses to get the most of the K-1.

@jeryst, you didn't mention which camera and lenses you currently have. I did, however, glance at old threads suggesting your camera is a K20D. You will get a huge bump in performance with either camera. What lenses do you currently own? What photographic subjects interest you?
01-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...two cameras in one...yet I (Well, Mrs Rupert!) only paid for one camera...and got two! No need to wonder about FF when you can own it and still shoot in APS-C at any time.
THREE cameras in one, once f/w 1.3 or 1.4 is installed....1:1 crop which is handy(around 24mp) and makes plenty of the high vignetting DAs useable.

300k ACCUTATIONS !...
01-31-2017, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I currently own only APS-C lenses. I've been thinking about getting
a k-1 body maybe when the prices drop a little. I don't want to use
the crop mode, because that just seems to defeat the purpose.
Is it worth buying the K-1 body using only APS-C lenses? What will
the photos look like using the APS-C lenses in FF mode? Would I
be better off buying a K-3 until I am ready to make an investment in
FF lenses?
After owning a K-1 for several weeks and owning a K-3 for a couple of years, I'd suggest you keep this in mind: the K-1 is big and heavy. Unless you plan to acquire FF lenses in the near future, there's no reason to lug around all that mass when a K-3 will give you a higher-res photo in a svelte package. Using a K-1 for APS-C lenses is like driving a highly-optioned minivan to carry one suitcase when you could carry the same load with a less-expensive, sharp-handling sport sedan.

Jer

01-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
After owning a K-1 for several weeks and owning a K-3 for a couple of years, I'd suggest you keep this in mind: the K-1 is big and heavy. Unless you plan to acquire FF lenses in the near future, there's no reason to lug around all that mass when a K-3 will give you a higher-res photo in a svelte package. Using a K-1 for APS-C lenses is like driving a highly-optioned minivan to carry one suitcase when you could carry the same load with a less-expensive, sharp-handling sport sedan.

Jer
I guess it depends on your definition of heavy? I moved up from a K-30 and didn't really notice much practical difference.
01-31-2017, 09:55 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-1 fits size wise between the K10/20 D and the K 7/5/3. I have small hands and the K-1 is the most comfortable camera I have ever used. I don't even notice the weight difference. As with buying computers, future proofing is a valid approach i.e. buying the best spec'd one you can afford, even if you will not use all of the features right away. I second what some others have said. The Pentax F 28mm f/2.8, F 35-70mm, F 70-210mm , DA 50mm f/1.8 lenses will all do fine on the K-1 and they are relatively inexpensive. It really just depends on what kind of shooting you like to do.
01-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #25

I've had K100, K200, K-X and K20. I got my K-1 Yesterday.

I am blown away! I got amazing deal from one shop selling some demo cameras and lens with good price.
So I got K-1 1700€, 28-105 500€ and 24-70 1000€.

Before I get those I thought that I will return 28-105 and keep 24-70, cause low light performance of 24-70.
I tested first 28-105 and was shocked how good it was with K-1. I mean even I turned all lights off, I was able to take
decent shots with only light from TV. I guess 3200 ISO performance and good SR does the trick.

I was planning to keep my K20, but realized that I will not use it anymore after Yesterdays experience.
What comes to size and everything, I think size is not bad, fits hand as good as K-5 did. With 28-105 it compact package and easy (at least for me) photo with one hand. What comes to features etc. This is beast for the camera. As a long time Pentax user (9 years) I love the decisions they have mad about button layout etc. It is just joy to use.

I've got some old crop lenses. Samyang 8mm Fishey, Sigma 10-20, DA35, DA50, Samyang 500mm 6.3 mirror lens. + some old kit zooms. I plan to use ff and crop 8mm & 10-20 (still get good size pics and I PP anyway so no big deal).
DA35 and DA50 seems to work well enough even without crop. Actually my respect for those lenses tripled when I saw what they can do with K-1. Big surprise was that my funny cheap Samyang 500mm work as a FF without vignetting. That felt like a new lens with K-1. I've got some shots I love with that lens in crop body but with K-1 using it felt way better, I mean focusing felt way easier.

So all in all. I said go! Try to find used or cheap 28-105. That with crop lenses will give you something next level. At least I felt like that last night. I feel like there is no way back after this.

Only thing I'm wondering is, should I return 24-70? It seems I get even all neede indoor shots with 28-105 and I like the quality I get. So where I would need 2.8? Or should I make 28-105 + DA35 + DA50 backbone of my photography (mostly street, also some landscape and random stuff).
Normally money would be issue, but luckily I got some extra thousand cash, so I actually could keep that 24-70 and maybe I should with that price, but I don't find good reasons to do it. Any ideas?
02-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I currently own only APS-C lenses. I've been thinking about gettinga k-1 body maybe when the prices drop a little. I don't want to usethe crop mode, because that just seems to defeat the purpose.Is it worth buying the K-1 body using only APS-C lenses? What will the photos look like using the APS-C lenses in FF mode? Would Ibe better off buying a K-3 until I am ready to make an investment inFF lenses?

Don't get me wrong, the K-1 is an absolutely fantastic camera and you would probably enjoy shooting it in crop mode. However, if you don't can or want to spend money on FF glass right now my advice would be go for something that matches your current lens collection. If you want something right away, the K-3 is also a fantastic camera and at a much better price. If you can be patient, have a look at the KP befor deciding.

I have my K-1 set to FF mode and use the K-3 as my "crop mode", and I still use it a lot.
02-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HankVonHeaven Quote
my funny cheap Samyang 500mm work as a FF without vignetting. That felt like a new lens with K-1
Do you mean the mirror lens?...if so,i had trouble with mine attaching cleanly to K1...I had to put the 2x extender on it to clear the body and get a proper attachment???
02-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Full frame is not only much more expensive, it's heavy and therefore often times not much fun.
Well, I've switched from my trusty K-5 to the K-1, and I don't even notice the 200g weight increase. What's that in comparison to what I weigh? A single can of soda, a small bottle of water (several of which I lug around when going hillside) is more.

And the K-1's slightly increased height means that finally my pinky fits on the grip and not below it.

If it's a sensible decision to switch to the K-1 depends on what specific kind of glass is being used. Not everything named "APS-C glass" is really limited to APS-C sensors; some lenses are more restricted, some others are nearly unrestricted (or at least at some specific focal lenghts).
02-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Full frame is not only much more expensive, it's heavy and therefore often times not much fun.

IMO it is so much fun to carry that extra weight
02-01-2017, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

The effort of carrying about a K-1 with a big 70-200 lens will cause the photographer to loose more weight than he or she is carrying, so it evens out. Even your wallet is lighter after the purchase, but be careful not to sell too much work, it might get heavier again and you too from eating cake to celebrate your success.