Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Is a K-1 body worth buying if you only own APS-C lenses?

I currently own only APS-C lenses. I've been thinking about getting
a k-1 body maybe when the prices drop a little. I don't want to use
the crop mode, because that just seems to defeat the purpose.
Is it worth buying the K-1 body using only APS-C lenses? What will
the photos look like using the APS-C lenses in FF mode? Would I
be better off buying a K-3 until I am ready to make an investment in
FF lenses?

01-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes

There are plenty of DA/L lenses that work on K1.....and the square crop is handy too.Chops off the ends and the vignetting of some DA lenses....some photos are meant to be square!
Also there's plenty of F/FA lenses that are bargains and do OK.
01-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

No. The K-3 or K-3 II is a MUCH better option with most APS-C lenses. Some do better than APS-C (DA 40, 70, 55-300) and don't need too much cropping, whilst others (DA 15, 18-135, 16-85) are strictly APS-C. In crop mode, the K-1 is only 15 Mpx, i.e., essentially the K-5.

So, unless you are prepared to buy some FF glass (the 28-105 is a beauty at reasonable cost), I wouldn't bother.
01-29-2017, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Agree with comments above. if your APS-C lenses are not cover FF sensor size and you don't want to upgrade it, it is no point to pay more for a FF body.

For lenses capability and test, check out these pages.
Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/wondering-what-the-field-of-view-of-t...the-k-1--56150
http://www.pentax-slr.com/253357445

Last edited by pakinjapan; 01-29-2017 at 09:43 PM.
01-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I currently own only APS-C lenses.
Which ones? Several of them will work with the K-1 nicely. Others, no.

QuoteQuote:
Would I be better off buying a K-3 until I am ready to make an investment in FF lenses?
Your APS-C lenses have value. You can sell them and buy FF lenses, perhaps obtaining some secondhand. It may not cost you much out of pocket to retool your kit. Think about it and run some numbers.
01-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I just bought my K1 last week, so I am still getting to know it. Crop mode in the viewfinder is a rectangle with thick black lines that outline the apsc image area, but you still see the rest of the full frame. With a lens like the DA 15mm you see the black outline of that lens in the area outside that apsc box. It is very usable but I would find it odd to shoot that way all the time. The 15mpixel image you get is enough resolution for most things, except when its not.

The biggest gain for me is the high ISO performance. I had read how good it is, and seen the samples, but until you take your own photos at 3200 have them come out so clean you just don't realize how good. 6400 is very usable too. Couple that with the 36mpixel image and there is a lot of image there to work with for clean available light shooting.

For crop mode you won't get the resolution gain, or the improved bokeh, but you will benefit from the clean high ISO. Without the extra resolution it won't be as much of a gain as it is on full frame. Still it would mean clean images at 3200 or even 6400 iso, whereas for me I find that the K3 is ok at 1600 and sometimes 3200 but I generally try to avoid going that high.

It really comes down to what you want though. I have shot the K3 for a couple of years. It is an excellent camera and I have really enjoyed it. It costs a lot less than a K1 does and offers very good image quality and decent high iso performance. For me the K1 is a luxury and I already had full frame glass. If I didn't, I would probably not have bought a K1 to shoot in crop mode, but that is just me. If not for some extra work on the side this month, and no other immediate needs for that cash I would still be happily shooting my K3.

What crop lenses do you have? Many of the apsc lenses actually cover FF.
01-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I currently own only APS-C lenses. I've been thinking about getting a k-1 body maybe when the prices drop a little.
The question that should be asked is: Why? Don't get me wrong, the K-1 is an amazing camera. But so is the K-3II. And so is the K-P, and the K-70. So if all of your lenses are APS-C why do you want the K-1? Instead of one of the newer APS-C cameras?

Not being critical, just suggesting that you ask yourself that question. When you have the answer post back and I think you will get better advice. If you want to go FF because, well FF is magic, I think you will be disappointed. Current APS-C cameras generate images far better than the skills of 99.9% of photographers. If you want a K-1 because you intend to move to FF to shoot weddings then fine and your question can be answered in that light. If you have a reason for getting a K-1 then articulate that and I think your question can be better answered.

As others have said, many APS-C lens will work fine on the K-1 in FF mode, some with varying degrees of vignetting. But I suspect if you really want to move to FF then you will need new glass as well, though your APS-C glass can serve while you build up a new lens collection.

01-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

FF lenses?
No. IMHO, it s a waste of money. I started with APS-c cameras but bought mostly FF lenses. So when it came time to upgrade to K1, I had mostly FF lenses. From what I have seen of the crop mode on the K1, it is inferior to a dedicated APS-c body.

If you must go with a K1, sell your APS-c lenses and use the funds to buy the minimum FF lenses that would get the job done for you. You can always add lenses later.
01-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If OP only has aps-c zooms, constant 2.8 or slower ones, I´d go for a crop body. Maybe a mini K-1, the new KP when the price comes down a "bit" . With a lot of primes it might be a different story.

For crop use only K-1 viewfinder magnification is too low IMHO, K-5(IIs), K-70, K-3(II) and KP VF is a lot better for aps-c lenses.

K-1 crop mode=K-5IIs IQ with a wide spread of focus points and better (but still not great) af-c tracking.

With that said, I´m thinking of getting a 55-300 PLM RE WR lens for K-1 crop mode use.. .

Just my 2c, hope this helps .

Last edited by Pen-A; 01-30-2017 at 12:40 AM.
01-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The KP appears to have most of the goodies that went into the K-1, apart from the obvious, and possibly a few on the side. If you're not into tagging the location of every shot you fire, and you don't need GPS-aided astrotracking, the KP may be all you ever need.

If, like me, you're intending to go up to the K-1 for the revised control system layout, better image stabilisation, etc., it pays to have film-era glass or to be in a position to buy D-FA glass. I have so much film-era glass I will never be lost for a lens to put on the camera. If you are intending to stay with APS-C, then the KP probably has your name on it - or wait and see what the supposed APS-C flagship, coming out later this year, has to offer.

What body are you currently using? If you are currently shooting a K-5 (or K-30, K-50, or other 16MP sensor variant), you will lose approx. 1MP in crop mode while you save up for full-frame glass. If you are shooting a pre-K-5 body, you will gain everywhere, the only exception being the analogue TTL flash handling that the *istD/DS series retained from the film era (but then, no other current Pentax DSLR has that either).
01-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Stick with APS-C. Hold out for the K-3II replacement.

Full frame is not only much more expensive, it's heavy and therefore often times not much fun.
01-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

FF lenses?
If you want to take advantage of the benefits of FF, you'll want FF lenses, and preferably good ones. I therefore think that it might be a better idea to go for the K-3 II, KP, or whatever comes next within APS-C. You can always trade up to FF once you're ready to go all-in

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sensor size gives you restrictions. Using FF sensor size with APSC lenses gives freedom to squeeze a lot more out of your DA lenses (depending on the specific lens) - provided you like to work out raw files in post. Think about different crop ratios and their angle of view you can gain in FF mode. I even use the DA15 in FF mode and bought the 55-300PLM for my K-1 to shoot in the mode that best fits the scenery.

If you are a strict out of camera jpg shooter you can save a lot of money buying an APSC camera - but you lose flexibility compared to the scenario above.
01-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You can Get the 50 and 35mm DA lenses. They have a full frame image circle and are cheap. A F 35-70 F3.5-4.5 Is a cheap sharp legacy zoom that will probably work pretty well on the K-1. The D FA28-105 F4-5.6 is not that expensive. There are plenty of cheap Sigma and Tamron 70-300 lenses that will give you some range.
01-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I asked myself the same question when the K-1 was launched, having invested in 3 HD DA pancakes the year prior. The K-1 in crop mode didn't give me any more resolution than my K-5II. The K-3II or KP would be the best upgrade path + you can take the money saved and invest it in Ltd or DA* glass to squeeze every bit of detail, colour and dynamic range out of a 24mp APS-C sensor!