Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lots of good reasons to shoot with either format, some of which have been stated. But simplified: jpg for speed (operation or turnaround/sharing), RAW for difficulties in the scene or taking options that require heavier work in post.

02-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot both, JPEG to card 2 and Raw to card 1. Since I use Paint Pro, I can't see an entire gallery of photos. I use the JPEGs because Windows will let me see all of the photos in a directory. I can quickly select those that I think could be keepers. Since the files have the same number, I can then move the Keeper JPEGs and RAWs to me external hard drive. Then I can use Paint Pro to manipulate the RAW files as needed.
02-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I just don't see the point of shooting jpeg with a good camera.
It should be the expectation that the manufacturers put the necessary R&D into their firmware, in order to get the best from the R&D they have put into the hardware. Therefore, good cameras should be capable of producing good images to store in their JPEG files.

This will also depend upon the user setting the menu options and exposure appropriately, so that the camera creates an image close to the one they desire and/or visualised. If necessary, and if saved at the highest quality settings and not re-saved many times, the image from a JPEG file can then be further processed in image editing software to fine-tune it into the desired product, with little (in fact, probably imperceptible) impact on image quality.

When we review the shot we have just taken, we are fortunate with our Pentax cameras that, if the scene is more challenging, and/or if the histogram and/or blinkies indicate a problem with exposure, and/or there is a problem with white balance, we can press the *+/- button* while viewing the image from the JPEG file on the rear screen, to save the Raw Data in addition to the JPEG file for that image, if we wish to work on it later in the computer.

Edit: * should be the AE-L button

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 02-07-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Correction - wrong button
02-07-2017, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I accidentally shot some photos a couple of times now in jpeg recently because I hit the raw button when trying to change AF modes with gloves on and didn't realize it right away.
I felt like it did pretty well but in one high ISO, low light situation the auto WB was way off and the only way to have a usable image was to go monochrome.
Another time it was some landscape shots and the results were good but I kind of like the post editing phase for landscapes and felt like I would be likely to overcook a jpeg if I tried to do much.
Here's a relatively unedited jpeg from that morning. This one was pretty good but I blew some highlights in another shot that I probably could have saved from a RAW file.

02-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always shoot raw to first card and a small jpeg to the second. In Capture One I process the raw file. Knowledge about color models and learning how the raw converter tools affect the colors of specific images is an interesting experience for me. I simply like the challenge of post processing especially including local adjustments and working with different aspect ratios by cropping. This goes beyond automatic in camera jpg processing.

The more I practice the better I know how to use the tools to get the results I imagine and I can work more creatively.

Out of camera jpeg doesn’t give me this. But of course I see that I can get great results shooting directly in jpg if I work carefully - if seriously done one have to make some decisions (highlight recovery, color profile, using digital filters, ...) that we don't need when shooting raw. Shooting raw is more forgiving because we can better correct faults in post. There's something for everybody. That's a good thing I think.
02-07-2017, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always shoot raw. I can always develop images in-camera later if I need JPEGs for quick sharing, but I'll never forgive myself for shooting JPEG only when I started with my K-x. I got some truly gorgeous shots that can't be improved in post.
02-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it depends on your outlook, I enjoy photography as a hobby, I hate sitting in front of computers for extended periods, although post processing can be fun on occasions. I don't want to have to develop "every" shot I take. If I'm shooting an event I'll shoot raw+jpeg, use the jpegs and only go to the raw of a particular shot if needed. Otherwise I shoot jpeg only, and save the raw data if I think there may be a problem.

02-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I don't want to have to develop "every" shot I take..
But you have to load them all into the computer anyway, why not just shoot in RAW and develop the ones you like, CeeCee?

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Otherwise I shoot jpeg only, and save the raw data if I think there may be a problem.
How do you get RAW out of your JPEG?
02-07-2017, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
How do you get RAW out of your JPEG?
You can't.

But - correction to Post #18 - if you review on the rear LCD screen the JPEG immediately after recording it, and you suspect it might have a problem, you can then save that same image's Raw data by pressing the AE-L button.

Philip
02-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You can't.

But - correction to Post #18 - if you review on the rear LCD screen the JPEG immediately after recording it, and you suspect it might have a problem, you can then save that same image's Raw data by pressing the AE-L button.

Philip
Nice tip, Philip, if I ever find myself accidentally shooting in JPEG only. I could at least rescue the last shot taken.
02-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I just don't see the point of shooting jpeg with a good camera.
I must admit, I don't understand either. What setting about a photo (sharpness, contrast, noise, saturation, whatever) is not better controlled in RAW than JPG?
I shoot 100% Jpeg+ Raw..... with some exceptions. . Gives you choices. The point being with Jpeg......Let's say you are shooting 50 squirrel shots in a day, do you really want to process 50 ordinary squirrel shots when most of them are going in the trash anyhow?

Regards!
02-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Nice tip, Philip, if I ever find myself accidentally shooting in JPEG only. I could at least rescue the last shot taken.
Thank you, I'm pleased that you think so, as the intention was to be helpful to anyone who might be interested.

Philip
02-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The point being with Jpeg......Let's say you are shooting 50 squirrel shots in a day, do you really want to process 50 ordinary squirrel shots when most of them are going in the trash anyhow?
Howdy, Rupert - still not sure I understand what difference it makes if it was fifty RAW .... you'd still be deleting 47, processing three?

02-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Howdy, Rupert - still not sure I understand what difference it makes if it was fifty RAW .... you'd still be deleting 47, processing three?
Hell, I'd still be processing three more than I wanted to!

Regards!
02-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hell, I'd still be processing three more than I wanted to!

Regards!
(Laughs).

Okay, if you can tolerate the camera's decision making (18% grey and all that - underexposes many scenes), and that you can't brighten one area, darken another, for instance - fine!

Not my idea of keepers, but we're all different in our objectives.